Robots rock's fleet/s (In progress)

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Robots rock's fleet/s (In progress)

Post by robots rock »

My first post.
Yay.

Anyway, onwards to content!

So, I've been playing BSF and lurking on the forums for a while, (about 3 months)
and I felt like getting feedback on my ships.

just a note, these only use sections in TheBuilder's repack.
Click the ship name to download.

Without further useless text, here is the story I am building the ships to - followed by the ships themselves.

STORY
Spoiler!

2565 - Formation of the Imperial Alliance
After the human race was engulfed with civil war, a new interstellar order rose up and addressed the concerns of humanity. The Imperial Alliance was the result of years of talks and agreements, and was a vast improvement on the constant fighting that was the human race a few decades before.
The Imperial Alliance was defined by its insistence upon robotic workers controlled by human operators. It was this idea that made the Alliance a force to be reckoned with in the galaxy, giving it the opportunity to fight from unknown locations with a previously unknown ferocity.
2680 - The remnants of the United planets are found
The United planets was formed around 2100, after a colony on Mars was established. However, the loyal supporters left after an attempted revolt on both Earth and Mars, fleeing to a far part of the galaxy (2235). From there, the loyalists have been researching and repopulating, staying in certain system to avoid detection. After 400 years, however, they are stumbled upon by an Imperial mining vessel, which they promptly destroy. This strange disappearance gives the Empire an excuse to mobilise a small fleet, which after entering the system, is contacted, giving the empire a leap in their technology and the Loyalists a massive boost in their resources.
It should be noted, however, that the Loyalists refuse to work with robots.
2776 - Robot Uprising
Ha! Bet you saw that coming!
The robots, tired of being blown up, used, blown up, thrown out, and blown up again, fight for their rights.
Basically, every Empire ship stops working, and some turn on their controlling space stations.
The empire calls on the United planet loyalists to save them, and after a considerable battle, the robotic forces are destroyed. And blown up again.
The Self aware robots are replaced with the previous directly controlled drones
2856 - Meeting of the formics DEATH
Current time (almost)
The Empire, after having started to occupy around half the galaxy, encounters the first challenge it has faced in a considerable time. The Formics. (Get the reference?)
The Formics had some advantages and disadvantages with their technology. They were, to begin with, Bugs.
They had perfect drones, autonomous and at the same time an appendage of the hive queen.
They had shields, which let them defend themselves better.
They had, however, no beam weapons and could not control electricity.
They had relatively weak weapons but insane defences, giving them an equal fighting potential to the empire.
Let the fight begin.

Empire Mining Vessel
This vessel makes use of mining drones and large cargo space. Not a fighting ship.
2x mining laser
2x mining drone
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Re: Robots rock's fleet/s (In progress)

Post by R0ni »

It looks fat, but I suppose that is how mining ships are supposed to look. :D
Please show us moar. Always interested in seeing what others storm in their mind.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

What he said. For a beginner, thats quite nice. I see no flaws. I'd like to see how you progress.
naysayers will be shot
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by robots rock »

Thanks!
I've also started building ships for the War for the Universe thread.
The PACIV ships.
I'll put in a download here when I have about 5 of them done.

Kendom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kendom »

looks good, i didn't moved to the custom sprites yet but i made a hole fleet and i'm gonna post it soon, doesn't look as great as this :(.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Might consider adding a tractor beam, or several, since AI controlled ships will use them to fling asteroids at opponents.
Also, some neat tricks can be done with drones using slaved weapons so they will fly around the ship and either physically block incoming shots or move to return fire against whatever is in range.
As far as appearance, some glows or window lights might help it.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

jwa, what is this drone sorcery you speak of?
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Slaving the drone to a non firing, long range point defense gun on the mothership will cause the drone to 'fly' around the ship to the side fire is incoming from. Doing the same with a regular weapon will move the drone to the side with an enemy ship. Putting a point defense or regular gun on the parent section of the drone itself, usually an invisible section, with the rest of the drone slaved to that gun, will cause the drone to turn towards incoming fire or ships independent of the mothership.

The super advanced version of this that I don't have patience for is modular assault mode where the ship breaks into multiple 'mini ships' that fly in loose formation but move independently around on multiple hinges, ie invisible 'core' sections where the control weapons are. I think someone did one awhile back.

In this case, low range tractor beams or whatever that module is that slows down weapons might be more appropriate for armament on the drones if you are going for the mining ship feel. Though of course you can also build in a mass accelerator that 'fires' meteoroids.
llleo
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by llleo »

what sprites did you used?
roses are red
smurfs are blue
and I'm mad
because my space-ship landed on the south
and i don't need to be crative cuz the led
turns TV cool
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by robots rock »

Kaelis' shipwright. From mech, alien, robo, and who knows what else.