Ratai Armada

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

R0ni
Captain
Captain

Ratai Armada

Post by R0ni »

Adding background story for this faction later. For now here are some ships - first ones I have designed thus far, discount few failish experiments. Only Vorok is symmetrical. Ships presented in actual size. Please comment. Which of these are good? What need working on? What style should I follow?

"Bitter" light bomber / fighter
A small fighter / bomber launched from carriers and battle stations. Lacks jump engine of its own.
HP: 30
Weapons:
1x missile pod.
Speed: Fast
Acceleration: Average.
Rotation: Average

Kiroi Light Frigate
Light frigate of Ratai, relatively lightly armed and armoured, but still effective against vessels of its own size and in wolf packs even superior enemy ships.
HP: 280
Weapons:
1x Rapid fire kinetic burst cannon
1x Missile pod.
2x Flak turrets.
Speed: Average
Acceleration: Average
Rotation: Average.

Vorok Assaul cruiser
Vorok is ancient ship of Ratai Armada, even the newest serving in fleet over 200 year old. Armed with two powerful kinetic burst cannons, Vorok can quickly shred almost any craft smaller than itself and bombard ships that rival it in size. While it has powerful offensive weaponry, Vorok suffers from lack of any defensive weapons. It can also fire only forward, meaning that flanking this ship - or engaging it from distance with missiles can make short work out of it. Vorok is best used for ambush.
HP: 310
Weapons:
2x Hvy rapid firing kinetic burst cannons.
Acceleration: Poor
Speed: Poor
Rotation: Average

Murasai battlecruiser
Another ancient ship from time when Ratai were still in power. Murasai is ship able to bring death and destruction upon its enemies in form of heavy auto cannon batteries, missiles and retrofit version of old "god killer" beam cannon. Murasai is equipped with this ancient weapon originally meant for planetary bombardments, but it works just as well against large vessels, preferrably not moving ones. The weapon is half lenght of the ship itself, meaning it can be fired only forward. It takes almost 40 seconds to charge the cannon, let alone aim it correctly, but what comes out of that beamer is pure pain.

Unlike Vorok, Murasai is equipped with number of defensive and secondary weapons to engage smaller craft harrassing it. Only few ships of this class exist in Ratain fleet and even those are over 200 years of age.
HP:400
Weapons:
2x "God killer" frontal super beam weapons.
3x Twin barrel Autocannon turrets.
2x Plasma missile launchers.
4x Flak turrets
Acceleration: Very poor
Speed: Poor
Rotation: Very Poor

Tekaiko Light carrier

Smallest and most numerous of Ratai fleet carriers, Tekaiko is old freighter converted into military vessel. While not maybe ideally designed and structured to serve as carrier, it does its job well enough. Due to its civilian nature, Tekaiko obviously lacks armour of true battle carrier, but additional plating has been added where possible to prevent his vessel from becoming cheese full of holes in battle. Armed as well as possible, this ship can hold its own against smaller enemy ships.

Tekaiko can house two to four wings of fighters in its bay, and is able to launch four fighter craft almost instantly upon entering into battle. However, due to its limited structure, launching additional fighter takes some time, leaving the single wing alone momentarily. Four bitters should be conciderable threat alone however.

HP:350
Weapons:
3x Twin barrel autocannon turrets.
3x Missile pods.
6x Flak turrets.
-Additionally ship has nano matrix installed to help repairing friendly craft, or itself.
Acceleration:
Poor
Speed: Very poor
Rotation: Poor
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Ratai Armada

Post by HorseMonster »

For someone's first posted ships these are fairly respectable looking spaceships. Asymmetry is not particularly common around here because it's a pain in the ass to do, but if you want to do that then the best of luck to you, it's certainly an uncommon style choice that'll make your spaceships stand out a little more.

You do seem to have used an awful lot of stretched and resized sections though and that is something you should try and avoid, the results are blurry lines and it looks bad.
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

Well, thank you. Funnily enough I have only decresed size of some of the parts, mostly antennas. Now that I look it, yes, some of them look bit stretched. I was using this >>> viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5823 <<< Sections pack, and of course your awesome weapons pack \( ^ .^)/

Nice guns you have made I have to tell ya! All but one of them work perfectly and that really does not matter as there are tons to choose from.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

I think your shipmaker window may have been resized when you took the screenshots - IIRC resizing the SM rindow usually screwed up scaling of the screen. It might be responsible for the lateral stretching that I see.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Some shiny sections don't have the same level of detail as others, You can mask this by making them a different color or using only parts of them. Really, becoming good just takes practice, so please, show us what you can do. :D
naysayers will be shot
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

!REMAKING EVERYTHING!

Although I quite much liked some of the ships I had made already, I decided to remake entire Ratai fleet concept. New ships are following.

Fighters / bombers:
Image Ki T2A - Space superiority fighter.
Image Tao K1A - Assault fighter. (Type A model)
Image Tao K33 - Heavy assault fighter.

-Ki T2A is "new" fighter model of Ratai fleet and easily most numerous. Simple, easy to produce and maintain, "Ki" serves as an space superiority fighter of Ratai. This fighter type is often seen patrolling Ratai occupied space - or is sent to protect freighters and other priority cargo upon request. Ki has been designed to combat fast and small craft, and that is only purpose it should be assigned into. Besides freighters, these ships are not wise choise when attacking larger craft.
Armament:
2x 90mm fighter mounted autocannons (Uranium depleted rounds)

Tao K1A is fighter craft not so much seen anymore in Ratai Armada, besides the core fleet. Reason is simple: Ratai do not have capability to produce this fighter variant anymore. The original Tao model A is relic form the old days of Ratai, before the race went through near extinction and then technological deterioration. Less than 100 of these craft still exist and are well taken care of. Core fleet is so careful not to loose any of these fighters that deployment requires permission from the senior officer least rank of admiral.
Armament:
2x Micro laser beams.
1x Assault beam.

Tao K33 is Heavy assault fighter of Ratai, flying in weight class of gunship. Only because it is built based on Tao model A fighter, it has kept the designation. While this ship tries to reach the same efficiency as the original, K33 is no match for the model A. Still, it performs more than well in fighter and bomber role, thanks to its wide range of offensive weapons.
Armament:
2x missile pods.
1x 90mm fighter mounted autocannon (Uranium depleted rounds)

Freighters / logistic ships:
Image Kolto type 4 - Logistics ship.
Image Kolto type 6 - Blockade runner.

As Ratai have no planets or planetary installations other than few listening posts and rapidly set up asteroid mining bases, the fleet requires enormous array of logistics vessels. Out of 26000 vessels in Ratain Armada roughly 9000 are cargo carriers of some sort - and most war ships themselves have high cargo capacity. Kolto is easily most numerous ship type in Ratai armada, coming in 6 different variants. All are armed, although only with minimal weaponry. These ships are never expected to stray far from protection of the core fleet, and those few that do, are Kolto model 6 blockade runners. These ships have wide variety of different weapons - mostly what has been able to find and punch on the hull, usually flak turrets and missiles - rarely anything offensive.

Medium class Capital ships:

Assay Class light cruiser
Assay is relatively new light cruiser class to come out of fleet shipyards, and is quickly replacing the old relics that have served before it as medium class combatant. Assay lacks the powerful old weapon models, like god killer cannons, but it is equipped with the latest and most powerful weapons Ratai can produce these days. This ship has been built for large fleet engagements, where formations are broken and both friendly and enemy ships are in same mess, flying around and shooting whatever they can aim on. This is why Assay wields much of its offensive weaponry on both sides instead of concentrating it to front. It can succesfully engage number of ships in battle.
Armament:
1x Hvy Kinetic burst cannon.
4x missile pods.
4x 700mm Railguns (Diamond head rounds)
3x Flak turrets.

Heavy capital ships:

Otokairo class Battlecruiser. - Model A (Original)
Otokairo Model A battlecruiser is the original warship of Ratai from time before the collapse. Age old and full of weekly system failures, this ship is nearing the end of its service. Few Model A vessels still exist in Ratai navy with functional god killer cannons and core fleet is doing their best to extend the life of these grandpa of a warships. For their conciderable age, these vessels are flying miracles. Armed with most powerful weapons in Ratai Armada, Otokairo A can vaporaze almost any ship in seconds with its massive frontal weapon. Getting the ship into position and charging the gun is problem of its own, so the weapon is recommended to be used against very large and slow targets.
Armament:
1x God killer cannon.
5x Missile pods.
2x Rear mounted swarm missile pods.
6x 420mm Heavy autocannons. (Uranium depleated rounds.)
6x Flak turret.

Otokairo class Battlecruiser - Model B (Re-armed and repaired.)
Otokairo Model B battlecruiser is attempt to keep the old battlecruise alive. Model B Otokairo is repaired and rearmed version of Model A, without god killer cannon. With most of the previous systems replaced, this ship has bought some time for the old battlecruiser model to still fly around. Model B is not even nearly as powerful as the original, but still formidable in its own right. The massive offensive weaponry has been partially replaced with long range missiles, making Otokairo B more of an artielly capital ship.
Armament:
4x Missile pods.
5x Swarm missile pods.
7x 420mm Heavy autocannons (Uranium depleated rounds)
6x Flak turret.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

I quite like the new ships - The Assay and Kolto in particular are the best of the lot.
new_user
DICKBUTT

Post by new_user »

They look great, how much time did you spend on it? :D
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

On first set around 4-6 hours, plust testing alot. Little by little I made all of the ships in 3 days.
Second set Second set came little faster. I usually copied the old ship and added a little to it although it might not show. Still balancing them some.

I think I will make more of these ship later. Ratai faction is kinda test. Maybe I later make another that I might use for something...
new_user
DICKBUTT

Post by new_user »

R0ni wrote:On first set around 4-6 hours, plust testing alot. Little by little I made all of the ships in 3 days.
Second set Second set came little faster. I usually copied the old ship and added a little to it although it might not show. Still balancing them some.

I think I will make more of these ship later. Ratai faction is kinda test. Maybe I later make another that I might use for something...
You have alot of free time, am I right?
Im jelouse :P
You have a lot of free time, am I right?
I'm jealous. :P
Last edited by Anna on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Showing this idiot how to spell properly.
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

They look kinda steampunkish by the color scheme and design. In fact the first 2 also look like the ship's side profile. But don't take this the wrong way, because I LIKE!
Ahh, I love the smell of charred alien spaceship in the morning...
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

I like the Assay mostly think its the best of the lot although they all have good flow and general shape, I like asymmetry too keep experimenting with what works and doesn't work.

Dislike, colour scheme (although its good that its not over saturated), stretching of certain sections because it just looks nasty, either that or your screenshots have been resized oddly I can't tell.

Overall im very impressed, can't wait to see what you come up with given more time.

p.s. Download link would also be nice

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.