Terran Crisis Ship Set [Fledgling Ship Builder]

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

What ship class do you want next?

Frigate
8%
Destroyer
4%
Cruiser
4%
Battlecruiser
8%
Battleship
4%
Logistics
4%
Line Station
No votes
Command Station
No votes
Heavy Station
4%
Artillery Platform
8%
Carrier
8%
Dreadnaught
20%
Fighter
4%
Bomber
4%
Gunship
4%
Transport
No votes
Freighter
8%
Factory Vessel
8%
Other (comments!)
No votes

Total votes: 25

JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Terran Crisis Ship Set [Fledgling Ship Builder]

Post by JohnWildkins »

NOTE: I use the poll to see what ship I want to build next. 1 vote = 1 ship.

Hey guys. I'm a newbie to the forums here, and a general newbie to the game itself. Finished the campaign a while ago, and got interested in ship building. I've read a lot of the tutorials available (though granted, it was while I was half asleep). Decided to get custom sprites (courtesy of Kaelis) and weapon models/sprites (courtesy of HM) and am now ready to show off my creations.

I've returned.
So, after a virus overran my computer and I had to reinstall Windows, I have since lost my Battleships Forever and the ships contained in it. Furthermore, the mirror which I had the ship pack set up to is now gone (megaupload), so it seems the Old Pack is lost forever. Don't fret, however, because I will continue to make new ships, now that I've gotten past all the ridiculous ludicrousness that is life. Perhaps I'll remake some of the "Old Pack" ships, but who knows...

Anyway, stay tuned for more!

The old pack - it's lost in the bowels of the internet now.
Spoiler!
Terran Republic Navy "Vanguard" Line Station
The Terran Republic commissioned the Vanguard-class Line Station in 2078 following the loss of multiple planets because of insufficient defensive platforms to defend the front line. The Vanguard line station is equipped with 4 heavy blaster cannons, mounted on their own separate platforms and connected to the main station via heavy trusses. The station also contains a revolutionary fusion reactor, doubling the power output of other ships in the TRN fleet (at the time.) In recent years, the Terran Republic Armaments Group has found that the Line Station has poor structural design flaws, especially the exposed trusses connecting the blaster cannons to the rest of the station. Also, the ship, lacking any point defense capabilities, is very susceptible to flying debris. The heavy power equipment located in the cannons themselves and the trusses connecting them is also rather volatile, sometimes causing the entire station to go up if it loses a truss. TRAG has since been rumored to be working on a variant on the design to beef up its armor and fix any design flaws from the original design.

Pros: 360 degree firing arc (90 per blaster cannon), good overall defense platform, best deployed en masse
Cons: weak structural integrity (especially on the trusses), low overall damage, very weak alone, low armor

Terran Republic Navy "Vanguard-II" Line Station
Out of the Terran Republic Armaments Group's findings of multiple issues with the Vanguard-class hull and overall poor combat ratings, the Vanguard-II was born. With heavy armor placed around the entirety of the station, heavy flak guns defending the station from debris, deflector shielding technology, and reinforced electrical equipment, the Vanguard-II surpasses the Vanguard in every area.

Pros: 360 degree firing arc (90 per blaster cannon), large amounts of health, 6 deflector shields, flak weaponry, great en masse
Cons: rather weak overall damage, inaccurate

Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy "Mist" Frigate
The Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy decided they needed to make a ship that could do every specialized ships job, if not as well, at every class. The Mist is the frigate's representative of this idea. The Mist has assault capability, can support with its point defense rockets, is relatively tough for its size and class, and is speedy enough to intercept smaller ships. The Mist isn't as good at each job as its specialized variants, but if you need a jack of all trades, look no further.

Pros: good damage for its size (2 railguns), decent amount of health, 2 deflector shields, point defense rocket weaponry, overall good
Cons: not good at one particular area, forward-firing only

Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy "Drizzle" Frigate

The Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy Drizzle-class Frigate is the big brother of the Mist. Using the original Mist chassis, it expands on it with two additional autocannons, heavy armor plating, but with the penalty of reduced speed. This ship is a great assault boat, but can't catch up to the faster frigates.

Pros: Heavy damage for its class, large health, heavy armor
Cons: slow, easy target, low amount of point defense for its speed, front-facing weaponry

Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy "Triton" Cruiser

The Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy Triton Cruiser is a newer design, following the same principles of the Mist - jack of all trades, master of none. Armed with a total of four heavy railguns, four rocket point defense launchers, and large amounts of armor, the Triton is capable of almost anything. However, like the Mist, it's not as good at each individual job unlike its specialized counterparts. None the less, it is a very capable vessel.

Pros: Large damage and penetration, large amounts of health, heavy armor, good speed, large amounts of point defense
Cons: Front-heavy weaponry, no real defense in the back, no deflector shielding

Terran Republic Navy "Raven" Battlecruiser

The Terran Republic Navy "Raven" Battlecruiser is, as General Matori Izen put it, "a knife that cuts through the enemies defenses as if they were butter". Heavy armor, large amounts of weaponry and its massive size cause fear through the IECN ranks.

Pros: Heavy armor, large amounts of weaponry, massive size
Cons: slow, easy target

Terran Republic Navy "Skiff" Fighter

The Terran Republic Navy "Skiff" Fighter is a small one-man fighter that is meant to be launched from TRN carriers. It is fast and is able to cause heavy logistical damage to larger ships.

Pros: Very manueverable, small target
Cons: low weaponry, carrier-based only

Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy "Brick" Heavy Frigate

The Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy Brick Heavy Frigate is the toughest ship in its class. The Brick Heavy Frigate boasts an incredible amount of armor but few weapons or modules.

Pros: Heavy armor
Cons: few weapons, few modules

UNKNOWN-OBJ #142-G

##TRN-32-Z##
CO: General Izen, 32nd Navy Fleet, Outer Sector 32-B
SUBJECT: UNKNOWN-OBJ #142-G
TO: High General Trehr, Navy High Command, Sol System

UNKNOWN-OBJ #142-G located near Tykus IV during engagement with IECN Outer Fleet.
Until capture, referring to ship as "Spear". Seems to be Gunship-class vessel. Heavy weaponry, seems to be alien.
Not known any stats other than its speed, able to nearly outrun Skiff fighters.

Attached:

Signed,
General Izen
32nd Navy Fleet
Outer Sector 32-B

## ##
Last edited by JohnWildkins on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 am, edited 14 times in total.
Completed Project: TRN "Raven" Battlecruiser
WIP Project: n/a
Next Scheduled Project based on Poll: n/a

Terran Crisis Ship Pack:viewtopic.php?t=5912

Terran Republic Navy Major Engineer
Inner Empire Commonwealth Navy Ship Architect

SpaceTech Industries Majority Shareholder and Contributer
Scav'nga Flu'tiller Mekkerboi
mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Fledgling Ship Builder!

Post by mato9020 »

cool looks nice hope it can kill
FULL SPEED AHEAD
Thunder
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Thunder »

My main complaints:

Don't use SW sprites, shinies are better.
The (stock style) core is visible through the rest of the station, this doesn't look good.

Another thing, don't pay too much attention to mato, most people here are mostly interested in how good it looks.
This be a signature. This be empty.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

There's nothing wrong with SW sprites.

My best advice at this point is to just keep building.
JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Thunder wrote:My main complaints:

Don't use SW sprites, shinies are better.
The (stock style) core is visible through the rest of the station, this doesn't look good.

Another thing, don't pay too much attention to mato, most people here are mostly interested in how good it looks.
Personally I prefer the SW sprites because Shiny doesn't fit the Terran Republic style of ship which is generally more rugged and practical than the Commonwealth ships which are generally more elegant. I did fix the core problem in the Vanguard-II and will redo this when I'm done.
Kiltric wrote:There's nothing wrong with SW sprites.

My best advice at this point is to just keep building.
I have to agree with that. The SW sprites are more rugged and overall I like them more personally. As for building, I plan on releasing five ships in a megapost later today.

Thanks for your comments.
mato9020 wrote:cool looks nice hope it can kill

Actually the four twin blaster cannons on it are not terribly powerful but since it has 360 angle of attack and is rather small, it can be deployed en masse for larger targets.

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Ignore Thunder, he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

That said, try and use less of the Generic2 selection. Don't mix styles either; cover up the stock-style core with other sections, or only use stock parts.

Also, you don't need to sign your posts every time. These aren't letters or emails, no need for such formalities.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ya first thing I'd do to this is build up the center, partially to cover the core sprite but also to give it some z-axis endowment.
JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Arcalane wrote: That said, try and use less of the Generic2 selection. Don't mix styles either; cover up the stock-style core with other sections, or only use stock parts.
I'll keep that in mind. Most of the commonwealth ships I planned don't use very much of Generic2 and some TR ships do use it a decent amount but not as much as these.
jwa8402 wrote:Ya first thing I'd do to this is build up the center, partially to cover the core sprite but also to give it some z-axis endowment.
Yeah, I realized how ugly that blue dot is and the styles mixing. Fixed in the Vanguard-II and will never show up again :)

Thanks for the comments!

LongcatX
Commander
Commander
Location: behind you, oh wait, im behind you again ...watching you...

Post by LongcatX »

very nice. i don't see much wrong with these.
i am 93.6665% pure randomness.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Terran Crisis Ship Set [Fledgling Ship Builder]

Post by Bad Boy »

Just a heads-up, you should take your ship pictures at default zoom, they look crisper and generally better that way.

That aside, the ships are nice, they have a nice uniformity throughout the fleet and the weapon placement is very good. Keep at 'em.
JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Bad Boy wrote:Just a heads-up, you should take your ship pictures at default zoom, they look crisper and generally better that way.

That aside, the ships are nice, they have a nice uniformity throughout the fleet and the weapon placement is very good. Keep at 'em.
Thanks. Sadly, my 'default zoom' is a bit too far out for some reason and my frigates are kinda hard to see ._.
I'll be making the pictures bigger still though.

Thanks!

JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Download now updated with new ships. If you know of a better mirror, please post in the comments or PM me.

Thanks!

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

You shouldn't take your screenshots with so much of the blank canvas shown. They also won't appear as small to us do to some part of the human mind which I don't quite understand.
naysayers will be shot
JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Doogie12 wrote:You shouldn't take your screenshots with so much of the blank canvas shown. They also won't appear as small to us do to some part of the human mind which I don't quite understand.
Sorry. I had gotten criticism that my screenshots were too zoomed in. I'll adjust them accordingly, thanks for the comments!

JohnWildkins
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by JohnWildkins »

Shameless bump because edits don't throw topics to the front of the list.
:wink: