UNGW Shipwright Fleet

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

UNGW Shipwright Fleet

Post by shamrocksoldier »

Well hello everyone, this is my first post and I am very open to criticism. I have been browsing and lurking for close to a year and thought it was time to try and contribute a small bit. So lets get started.

The Hermes class Light frigate. sporting dual Javalin Missile pods and a single coilgun. She may be small, but She packs a decent punch.

The Apollo class Destroyer. Though only about 15 meters longer than he Hermes class, it nearly doubles the tonnage. its reactors are vastly improved as well, making it nearly as fast. Good all around contender for Ship to Ship combat.

The Anvil class main cruiser is the staple ship for most battle groups. Usually used as a flagship for mid-high ranking officers, this beast can make just about any ship put its tail between its legs and yell for moma. Its armament includes several Javalin missile pods and two heavy coilguns.

and finally, *drum roll*
Image The Colossus class super capital. At almost three Kilometers in length, this is one of the largest ships in the fleet. It serves as the flagship for admiral O'Donnel. although it lacks conventional coilguns, it has several heavy deck guns which can lob 20 ton slugs at 40 Percent the speed of light. Entire fleets have been lost to this monster. (edited for color)

And that's it for now. Constructive criticism is welcome. Tell me what you think! :)
Attachments
UNGW Fleet.rar
Download maybe?
(59.72 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
Last edited by shamrocksoldier on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UNGW Fleet:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6452
The War for the colonies:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6454

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. But In the morning, I shall be sober.”
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: UNGW Shipwright Fleet

Post by Doogie12 »

The first one is simplistic and stylish in its own sense, the second two at first looked bland but quickly grew on me as I scrutinized it.
The last shiny one is pretty good, except that the deep blue is WaAaAAAy too saturated. Tone it down a bit and it'll look superb. (bring the color down more to gray)
naysayers will be shot
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same about the last one, But the blue kinda grew on me. I think I will change it to a more grey-ish blue. Hopefully some newer designs will be up later.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I really like the small scale of the ships, though it helps that I really like that section pack. I think you've got a good thing going here. The attention to detail is great! I look forward to seeing the colossus ship made a bit more visible, but are you going to make any in between sizes, or enemies? One good thing about small ships is that they work well for enormous space battles.

Also, thanks for the comment; I'm working on it right now.
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

The newest ship in the lineup. The Thor class main battle Cruiser is issued to low ranking admirals for flagships of small post-battle group fleets. not my favorite, but I think it fits well with the style of this fleet.

As always, give comments and advice!
Last edited by shamrocksoldier on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Got to agree with jwa and doogie, they make me think back to the mini ship encounters (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2059), which I really enjoyed. I'm not a huge fan of the big one though, the back legs look a bit tacked on, they break the shape too much I think.
It's a shame you showed up so late in the lifespan of these forums but I hope you don't let that discourage you.

Also, unrelated but my god my posts were awful back then, it's rather sad looking back at them so I don't dare continue to do so.
Last edited by Bad Boy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

well actually, I've been around for a while. I just never really got the confidence in my ship designs to start posting anything. Seeing the game lose so much of the community spirit made me want to contribute. Sorry for being late :/

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well lurking for a while is always a good thing, you've come on with better ships and a better attitude than most newbies so I don't think there's any need to apologise.
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

jwa8402 wrote: I look forward to seeing the colossus ship made a bit more visible, but are you going to make any in between sizes, or enemies?
I am planning on making several other fleets that coincide with this universe, including allied alien races, synthetics (too much mass effect) and enemy fleets. but in response to the in between sizes, I was trying to show a pretty massive gap between super capitals and just about everything else. However, the traditional drone and fighter carrier will be slightly larger than the Thor class. So that will be the next step up before the colossus.

Also, Does anyone want a Download for these? I don't want to waste space unless you guys want these.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Sure, throw one up! Its not wasting space, and it looks like a good size to have battles with my current fleet, except for the colossus of course, which does look better by the way! Theres something about the design of the Thor that I really like.
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Alright, this Won't be the last update to the U.N.G.W. but I will be focusing on the other races for this universe before I make any more for the fleet.

The SS-5 Omaha is a state of the art scout frigate based off the Apollo class hull and commissioned in the early 2350's as a stealth recon frigate. Besides substantial evasion technology, The ship is also extremely well armed with several directed energy weapons, including a type-34 electron accelerator. Though small, it posses's the same Reactor as a Thor class, giving it the speed of a Corvette and the firepower to stand up to just about anything short of a Main cruiser. (HEAVILY Influenced by the SR-1 Normandy from Mass Effect. TroLoLLOllo)

The I-17 Riktor class interceptor is the UNGW's premier space superiority fighter. At only 20 meters in length, it is the fastest Tread space fighter on the galactic scene as of December 2346. Though lacking punch to take on capital class ships, this fighter excels at Dog fighting and anti-gunship combat. (This thing is small, like really small. Smallest fighter I've seen on these forums. If the Hermes is 400 meters in length, this is 20.)

The Sparta Class super capital is a Colossus Hull refitted with State of the art sensory equipment, Heavy engines, and four extra plasma fusion reactors. It replaces many light deck guns with extra armor and the above mentioned additions, as well as 4 new Missile launchers and fighter bays on either flank. Its forward hard points have been replaced by two massive Coil guns. If placed toe to toe with a traditional Colossus, these additions would allow the Sparta to utterly destroy the opposition with only minor structural damage.

and that's all for now, Time to work on some Xenos.... as always, comments and suggestions/ criticism is always welcome.
Last edited by shamrocksoldier on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Well, I'm back with some new ships. 2 new factions, as well as some defense stations and a carrier.

The Olympus was Originaly designed as a new replacement cruiser for the Anvil Class. However, an excess of space in the design, as well as a slightly under powered reactor caused the project to be changed. The Hisari Armament Corporation shifted development plans and changed the intentions of the ship to an all around support role. The final product was commissioned in 2335 and has under gone several upgrades since.

The THEDES class defense station is the standard station defense platform of the UNGW. It is generally stationed around either planets, larger anti-capital platforms, or important research stations. While unable to hold ground against anything larger than a light cruiser, this station is generally used to assist garrison forces in defending key locations and facilities.

The Icarus Corporation commissioned the Sientia stations to house company scientists and research executives while they conduct potentially profitable research for the corporation. These larger facilities are lightly armed with anti-fighter weapons and repair facilities for Cruiser or smaller craft.

During the War of First Encounter in the mid 2350's, the Ts'ari's main staple ship of almost all engagements was the Interdictor. Comparable in role to a frigate, this light warship has the staying power to face down UNGW destroyers. these were deployed by the hundreds and generally used as the main line ship for the Ts'ari during the war. It is equipped with an electromagnetic disruptor, two plasma cannons, and A light plasma deflector.

The Ts'ari Harbinger is a battle cruiser sized warship in the Ts'ari which acts as a Multi role heavy cruiser in the Ts'ari armada. It is equipped with extremely heavy weapons, and has the power to utterly annihilate anything less than a full sized battle cruiser in one on one combat. Heavy Plasma deflectors defend the ship, while a massive electron accelerator tears enemy ships in two.

The Dreadnought is the pinnacle of Warfare in the Ts'ari fleet. Attainable only by extremely high ranking admirals or High marshals in the fleet, this ship is unrivaled in combat against traditional vessels. Any UNGW captain with less than a battle group or a Super capital should consider these ships a death sentence.

Nearing the War of First Encounter's end in the 2360's, Yet another space faring civilization appeared, this time an ally to the UNGW.
The Ch'Bet are a Wealthy race devoted to interstellar commerce. Standing nearly 19 feet in stature, they posses much larger warships to accommodation their larger physic. Their Corvette class vessel is nearly as large as a UNGW cruiser, while their main cruiser in nearly 3/4 the size of a Colossus Super Capital.

The Ch'bet Cruiser.

Ok, I'm done, (I spent the better part of a half hour typing this one, so please give criticism.)Pain in my ass...
Also, There's a download now.
Last edited by shamrocksoldier on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The Omaha, Rikter, and Ch'bet ships are really quite nice! Some of the better small scale ships I've seen. The Sientia station is also a pretty unique design... The Ts'ari ships are pretty well designed, but those sprites inherently seem flatter than the other ones you're using. On something the size of the Interdictor though its not as much of a problem. I like the reactor on the Thedes, but that big dark area on the Olympus bugs me for some reason. Perhaps its just dark on my screen, but that is the carrier right? Might do to make the runway a bit more visible and add some doodad running lights or something, if thats even the effect you were going for...

Excellent write-ups as well. It is rare but appreciated to have so much detail in addition to images. I'll try out the download and get back to you. Did you balance your weapons in any particular way such as to size or class?
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

^Well on the Olympus there are doodad lights that run the deck, but I'm not sure how to make it a GIF. As for the darkness I will brighten it a bit. it was supposed to mimic a tarmac, but it does seem a bit dark.I agree the Ts'ari ships could use better depthing on my part. other than that I'm glad you like them!
In response to the weapons, yes I did, proportional to size, class, and reactor strength. all the coil guns (really railguns) are proportionately powered, and the missile pods can fire more shots if the ship is larger. If you notice something wrong with the way they play in game I would love to know so I can fix them in the future.

shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Well, I'm pretty sure anyone can guess where the inspiration for this came from. I liked the Idea of semi-living ships, so I tried my hand at a Bio-mechanical monstrosity. This was the result. Venator (not star wars) class synthetic. Not my best work

Used to synchronize inter-nebula jumps, these Subspace Relays are facilitated by inducing a repulsive gravitational force in to a negatively charged magnetic field. The result causes any mass within the effected area to be transmitted to the nearest positively charged relay. Since all relays are equi-distanced on a galactic scale, moving the target relay only a few meters causes the opposing gate to target the gate which was moved. or something stupid like that involving the spinny thing

Also, since everyone keeps talking about these so called "mini-ship encounters" would anyone like to see the "campaign" I've made using these? as in, a download or a series like jwa's Space fleet alpha?
Last edited by shamrocksoldier on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.