Pseudo-Chainship Project 2!

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Pseudo-Chainship Project 2!

Post by Anna »

Okay, so we've got the Chainship going again, and those have proven to be something of a horrible clusterfuck in the past. Perhaps it'll work out better this time, perhaps it won't. This, however, is something similar and yet entirely different. This is the Pseudo-Chainship project! I did this before, I'm doing it again now. You don't have to sign up to participate. You don't even have to go in any particular order. Just follow these rules and you should be golden:

1) You can only add between 4 and 8 sections on your turn, then you post what you have and let someone else add their own 4 -> 8 sections. I know it will be asked, so yes, you can add eight sections to one side and then mirror it.

2) After posting your own update, you must wait for two more people to make their own additions before making any more.

3) If you remove any sections added by someone else, they count as sections you used. If you remove eight sections, you can't add any. If you remove five, you can add three. And so on. This is to discourage people from erasing other people's work while still allowing for it.
  • 3a) Moving sections added by someone else also counts towards your section-use total.
4) Colours can be changed whenever, as they're simple enough to change back, but I'd prefer that during building, people stick to shades of grey. This ain't a rule, so if you really want to colour stuff, you can. Fake-aegising is okay too.

5) All ships should be posted with a picture.

6) All ships should be packaged with the sprites used in it. This is REALLY EASY. Click "Tools", Click "Export Custom Sprites". The sprites will be dumped in a folder. Take that folder, move it out of your main BSF folder. Rename it as "Custom sprites". Package it in your zip with Colab###.sb4 and then I won't be compelled to snap your neck. (This doesn't work for doodads, so if you add doodads, you'll need to package them manually (don't add doodads))

7) After stating you will add the next lot of sections to the Pseudo-Chainship, you have a maximum of two hours to do so, which is more time than it should ever take to add 4-8 sections to a ship. If you exceed this time-limit, you forfeit your claim and someone else may take a shot at it.

8) I'm going to place restrictions on section usage, but I'm going to do the opposite of jwa. Which is to say, I'm going to make it so you can only use the sections which aren't crappy and outdated.
Allowed Section Packs wrote:kae_shn
DST-sw
DST-swnc
HorseMonster_DetailedWeapons
HorseMonster_Realistic
HorseMonster_RobotBits
HorseMonster_RocketBits
SS_Prosectionax
That's it! Simple enough, right? Grab the .sb4, slap on four to eight sections, then pass it on. Please remember that this is a community project, so please try to make your additions mesh with the work done by those before you. Other than that, this is mostly about having fun. (I recommend using the ThrusterDX version of BSF)

----------------------

Here's the start, first person to grab it and call dibs has 2 hours to get their work done. (I will increase the deadline a bit if 2 hours seems too short, but honestly, 4 to 8 sections shouldn't take anywhere near that long)
Colab001.png
Colab001.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 17146 times
Colab001.rar
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
----------------------

SUCCESSFUL SHIPS:

IN PROGRESS:
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Re: Pseudo-Chainship Project 2!

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Oh Anna you.

On it.

Edit: Done.

Edit 2: But i'll tell you anyway <3
I've added the large flat sections (and will on my subsequent turns) so that others will have a larger surface and more possibilities to build on. I've seen that the most common problem with chainships is the initial complexity and clutter, so i'm trying to alleviate that.
Attachments
SMscreen03.png
SMscreen03.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 17133 times
Colab002.rar
(8.52 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Last edited by LactoseTolerant on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Fantastic. I was hoping someone would pick up on this soon.

EDIT: I'd ask you what you were thinking by adding big flat sections like that and making it as boxy as possible, but I'm sure I'd rather not know, so I'll just wait for the next person to go. :P
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Might as well have a go, haven't opened shipmaker in ages...
SMscreen065.png
SMscreen065.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 17121 times
Colab003.sb4
(10.37 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Just worked on the area around the reactor core (or whatever it's meant to be) a bit. It's a bit blocky, but I'm sure it can be extended fluidly. My only concern right now is making sure all the colours are standard.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna

Post by Anna »

Small reminder:
6) All ships should be packaged with the sprites used in it. This is REALLY EASY. Click "Tools", Click "Export Custom Sprites". The sprites will be dumped in a folder. Take that folder, move it out of your main BSF folder. Rename it as "Custom sprites". Package it in your zip with Colab###.sb4 and then I won't be compelled to snap your neck.
:)
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Ah, sorry about that, completely passed me by :oops: Any self respecting shipwright should already have all of these sprites anyway :)
Colab003.zip
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Three sections added, two sections sliced, three sections shuffled around a bit. 8 total.

Attachments
Colab004.zip
(26.44 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Anna

Post by Anna »

And here I am done with the next phase. Deleted two sections, slightly shifted some others, added some stuff. Also brightened the colour scheme in parts to make it less dark. Next!
Attachments
Colab005.png
Colab005.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 17107 times
Colab005.rar
(15.52 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Added a bit more detail to the front and top. Not sure that I'm totally pleased with the additions but I'll leave that up to someone else to decide.
Attachments
SMscreen066.png
SMscreen066.png (14.99 KiB) Viewed 17089 times
Colab006.zip
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
gefer8
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by gefer8 »

Let's add some engines to that. Not entirely sure what I did, but it had to do with engines and 2 guns. Added 5 sections, mirrored.
---
Whoops, didn't read the top. Nevermind.
Ah forget it. Here it is. Took me awhile to find out how to export.
Colab007.zip
(27.26 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Urist, why is that mega beam firing without a section connected?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Okay, Colab008 is done and ready for the next person. I removed 3 out of the 5 sections gefer8 added. Sorry, but they just obstructed general expansion of the ship and were an overall regression in quality. I then added five sections of my own, using my full 8 additions/removals. Next!

EDIT: Also, I'm quite liking the progress this is making. :) Thanks to everyone participating. Keep it up!
Attachments
Colab008.png
Colab008.zip
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Quality Control Enforcer
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Taking another swing at this with a baseball bat!
Will update post when done.

EDIT: le done.
Seven sections added, none removed, none moved.
Attachments
Colab009.zip
(50.2 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
gefer8
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by gefer8 »

Anna wrote:Okay, Colab008 is done and ready for the next person. I removed 3 out of the 5 sections gefer8 added. Sorry, but they just obstructed general expansion of the ship and were an overall regression in quality.
So... were allowed to add and remove stuff as many times as we want no matter how bad we are to ship building?
Edit: I think I will look at this ship and see how you guys make these ships look so damn good.
Urist, why is that mega beam firing without a section connected?
Anna

Post by Anna »

gefer8 wrote:So... were allowed to add and remove stuff as many times as we want no matter how bad we are to ship building?
Edit: I think I will look at this ship and see how you guys make these ships look so damn good.
You are, yes, but if you're not confident in your shipbuilding skills I'd kinda prefer it if you didn't go slapping stuff onto the Chainship. Yes it's meant to be fun and a collab thing and not serious, but still, I'm kind of fussy. :lol: Watching and learning is definitely a good idea, though.
Quality Control Enforcer
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Removed 3, flipped 1, added 4.
Attachments
SMscreen07.png
Colab010.rar
(29.79 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.