Looking for Advice, First ships and post.

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Gogloga
Ensign
Ensign

Looking for Advice, First ships and post.

Post by Gogloga »

Alrighty. Hey there, this is my first post in the forum, so please be gentle. This is the first set of ships that I have uploaded to the forums, and I'm looking for advice and criticism to improve them. They're awfully balanced, I've not done any of the finer work on them and the designs seem a bit boring. Any advice or criticism would be appreciated, even if it's just to say 'lurk more'.

Each ship is based on the same basic design, but is altered to a different idea and weapons system, and they are named according to what they do. Somewhat.

First, the Pheonix. Lasers.
Spoiler!
Second, the Kraken. Many Bullets, which are blue :3.
Spoiler!
Thirdly, the Basilisk. The bullets are weasel shots.
Spoiler!
Fourthly, the Hydra. Shoots three bullets from each gun, which speed up.
Spoiler!
Fifthly, the Hades. Shoots a heavy bullet that MIRV's into more when it gets close.
Spoiler!
Lastly, the Zeus. This one shoots lightning, and is awfully balanced. It's fun to use, though.
Spoiler!
That's all of them. Now, please, advice on making them better. Or worse, whatever tickles your fancy.

Oh, and another thing? I have no idea how to make all of the parts a certain colour, so they are all in base colour. Which will no doubt be ugly.

Cheers.
Attachments
Attachments.rar
(44.43 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Looking for Advice, First ships and post.

Post by jwa8402 »

Actually the basic structure is simple but nifty. You weren't kidding about them all being based on the same thing though. I'd work towards more diverse designs, even if you keep that same part as the base to build off of. Also its hard to tell on this screen but try pressing home before you take screenshots; it puts the zoom at default which doesn't make the eyes bleed so much. Also, I can see the difference in the weapons and such but if thats the main difference between them, perhaps action shots of them firing would be more appropriate? Anyway, hope to see more!
Gogloga
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gogloga »

Thanks for the advice and the speedy reply, jwa. It's good to know there is a way to get pictures of the ships without destroying the quality.

Here are some shots of the ships firing, just to show you what the different weapon effects are.

Phoenix
Spoiler!
Kraken
Spoiler!
Hydra
Spoiler!
Basalisk
Spoiler!
Hades (it MIRV's)
Spoiler!
Zeus (That's just engine flare at the back)
Spoiler!
I'm trying to get a critical object on each of the fuel rod type things so they become explosive, but I can't seem to get the effect right.

I'll also try to diversify the designs a bit when I get some free time.

Cheers.
mato9020
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by mato9020 »

Awesome i like the color scheme how each has a certain sectiona different color each time
FULL SPEED AHEAD
Gogloga
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gogloga »

Thanks Mato :D.