xmrsmoothx's Junk (More new stuff!)

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Re: xmrsmoothx's Junk (New stuff, check latest post!)

Post by -Desert- »

Your newer ships aren't as appealing as your first ones, but they're pretty darn good nevertheless. We want more of these delicious ships.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

While your first ships are excellent, these newer ones are little more than a jumbled mess of sections with strange colored bits underneath. Personally, I'd just scrap them altogether.
naysayers will be shot
xmrsmoothx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xmrsmoothx »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll take a look and see what I can do to be a bit more organized in the future. I used only shiny sections in these ships, which I've found tend to be a bit curvier and bulbous than other sections. I'll try mixing in some more mechanical sections in the future to make them a bit more solid.

Edit:
Here we go! Started with a frame of DST sections, layered shiny armor on top. I think it turned out much better.
Edit 2: And here's one more.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Re: xmrsmoothx's Junk (More new stuff!)

Post by -Desert- »

First ship looks good, though some of the DST in the back is standing out right now. Though I love that chocolate-ish colour on the second one, it's too dark, though that could be because I rarely have my screen at full brightness. (and I'm probably not the only one at that)
The ship itself looks like someone ripped a large piece of some battlecruiser that served as engine. It's nice but not as much as the first, blue one.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

It's funny how standards in a community change. When a community and a game/tool/whatever is still new, there are no veterans and EVERYONE is learning, so the quality standard is pretty low and stuff that would later be considered bad is considered good. Over time, old members learn a lot and the bar rises. Sure, there are noobies like in the beginning, but there are already experienced members there, too, so the bar is high, and the noobies learn, too. As a community dies, however, there are less people for the few newcommers to learn from, and the standard drops again.

These ships are fairly good, but they are far from great and excellent and stuff.

The sectionwork and general shape on most of them is fairly decent, but they suffer from other problems.

1. The depthing on most of your ship is either really bad or nonexistant, with sections that are supposed to be under looking like their on top thanks to bad usage of colour. Using one or limited shades of a single colour isn't too great either - it results in a fairly flat look. Work on your depthing, ESPECIALLY the interaction between the grey and coloured parts. It looks messy.

2. It lacks a lot of fine detail such as doodads, glows and some smaller sections.

3. Some of your ships are far too dark.

Those are the main three problems I've noticed on your ships. Some of them have bad sectionwork and look like a clogged mess, but those are special cases and not something most of your ships have. The 3 problems I mentioned above, however, seem to be pretty common.

Try to avoid those, and your ships will be quite nice.

Your several latest ships are pretty bad and your very first ships are quite flat, but the ones between them are pretty good (basically your ships from 2011 that aren't in the OP).

I like your old ships.

My favourite is the Illiad. Sure, it has its flaws, but with a bit of doodading, detail and shading, it can become and awesome ship. Scorpion, Shredder and Warhead are nice, too.

So yeah. Basically, your ships from 2011 are better than the new ones. You're quite rusty, but judging by the quality jump between your first and second post this year, I see you can get back into good ship building in no-time. Just look at your old ships and try to remember what you did, because you did something right.

Hey, do you still have the older ships from 2011? It would be great if you uploaded those.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
xmrsmoothx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xmrsmoothx »

Thanks for the tips, everyone! @Lukasmah, I've posted all of my ships so far, unfortunately.
So since asymmetry clearly isn't working too well for me, I moved back into symmetrical ships. This time around I tried using two accent/armor colors rather than one. Hopefully that'll be useful in attempting to break up the blandness.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

The first one is a tad too dark, and the engine and weapons are a tad too bright. I do like the genral shape, though, and the sectionwork is decent. I kinda like it.

The second suffers from the yellow being oversaturated, and depthing seems odd. The shape is boring, too. Other than that, I see no mayor flaws, but not too much good, either.

Also, about posting, I ment the .shp and sprites.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

^I have a little addition to that for the yellow ship.

Most of the shape is nice until the yellow bits that are 'on top'. From there, the shape somehow doesn't really flow like it does on the first one. I think you could fix that by replacing those top bits or by placing them further 'down' in depth, and adding a little more width to the nose.

Remember, it's just what I think. You don't have to do this, but it will probably make it better.