Ships from a newbie :)

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Ships from a newbie :)

Post by iliketosayblah »

Hey there everybody!
I downloaded BSF not too long ago, without knowing that it had a shipbuilder function, and when I found it did, I knew I HAD to jump in and have a go.

Anyway, these are first ships, nothing too fancy, I want to really get to know the builder before I make some huge and complex constructs (much like the awesome ones I have seen you guys make)
Let me know if they are good ships for a newbie, or whether I am totally and utterly bad, and should stop. Immediatley.
Attachments
Crusader Battleship.<br /><br />My latest ship, finished it just this morning. It is getting into the realms of size and complexity that I would like.
Crusader Battleship.

My latest ship, finished it just this morning. It is getting into the realms of size and complexity that I would like.
Hel Battleship.<br /><br />Far, FAR too many guns, I know. But I assume everybody does it ocne :)
Hel Battleship.

Far, FAR too many guns, I know. But I assume everybody does it ocne :)
Templar Carrier
Templar Carrier
Reaver Assault Destroyer
Reaver Assault Destroyer
Longbow Destroyer
Longbow Destroyer
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Ships from a newbie :)

Post by Anna »

Pretty decent stuff for stock-like ships made by someone still getting used to shipmaker. Quite good, actually. Fairly generic shapes, but they're well put together, they look good enough, and if you have fun playing around for them, that's what counts. By all means though, keep messing around with shipmaker, learning new things and trying to improve. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

If you have any questions, be sure to check the FAQs in the Shipmaker Info and Help forum, and if you can't find the answer there, go ahead and ask and we'll do our best to help. Welcome to the forum. :)
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Hi, thanks for the response and the warm welcome!

I just discovered new sprites, they make everything a little bit more awesome.
But seeing as I have the 'not crap' verdict, I went ahead and built a new Battleship - The Pheonix class.
Attachments
PHEONIX.png
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Not too shabby. The main body is decent, though you used the Generic2 sections a little too much (less detailed, so they look bland and bad, especially alongside other sections), but the "wings" just fall apart completely and don't seem to connect to the body very well.

Next stop is grasping depth shading (long story short; sections that are higher relative to adjacent sections should be lighter, and vice versa) then maybe moving on to fancier stuff.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Ok, I went back and had another go at the wings, and put in some more detail.
Would you say this is better? Or time for another try?
Attachments
PHEO.png
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

It's an improvement. What really needs work now is the depthing and shading in the ship to give it a better sense of dimension.

Also, with the Phoenix in particular, I don't think it lends itself to having holes in it. Not to say that it doesn't work well on some ships.

Keep at it, and welcome.
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Kiltric wrote:It's an improvement. What really needs work now is the depthing and shading in the ship to give it a better sense of dimension.

Also, with the Phoenix in particular, I don't think it lends itself to having holes in it. Not to say that it doesn't work well on some ships.

Keep at it, and welcome.
I was meaning to ask about that actually, I tried to shade the ship as best I could but I seem to have very limited colours to choose from. I assume you can change the colours along the side for the sprites...but how? :)

Also, very right about the holes. I didnt notice them due to the black background in the editor. Updaaated!

Edit: I fail so hard sometimes. Didnt remove all the wholes because I am a dweeb. Ignore second image, I don't know how to remove it. :)
Attachments
PHE.png
PHEONIIIIIX.png
Anna

Post by Anna »

iliketosayblah wrote:I assume you can change the colours along the side for the sprites...but how? :)
Right click on them. The top three colours are the in-game team colours. Don't use those at all, use the other colour palette. Right-click on the colours to change them, and if you have a colour scheme you want to keep, ctrl+right click on one of the colours and click the save option to save the entire colour palette.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Anna wrote:
iliketosayblah wrote:
Kiltric wrote:I assume you can change the colours along the side for the sprites...but how? :)
Right click on them. The top three colours are the in-game team colours. Don't use those at all, use the other colour palette. Right-click on the colours to change them, and if you have a colour scheme you want to keep, ctrl+right click on one of the colours and click the save option to save the entire colour palette.
Yeah, I figured this out about 5 minutes before this post, but thanks anyway! :)

However, I was NOT armed with the knowledge not to use the first 3 colours, and I have used them, silly me. Im now getting some funky colours in the game, what exactly do I need to do to set those 3 colours back?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Basically... just don't use those colours, unless you want your ships to have team-colours when they're in game. Team-colours can be changed in the in-game Options screen.
Quality Control Enforcer
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Oh, right i see! Fixed, thanks for your time!
I will get this baby up and running and then post the results.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Also, the stretching and shrinking of sections more than .1 or .2 is generally frowned upon, as it makes them look rather ridiculous and distorted.
iliketosayblah
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by iliketosayblah »

Ok, I think I have taken all the suggestions onbaord, and I must say, i'm proud of it.

I will be moving on to the other ships hopefully, it would be nice to get a fleet up :)

Also, I don't suppose anybody knows any good weapon sprite packs that would work with the section sprites I am using? (Sorry, I don't remember the name of the one I am using, but hopefully somebody couls recognise it?)
Attachments
qdfawefsd.png
LongcatX
Commander
Commander
Location: behind you, oh wait, im behind you again ...watching you...

Post by LongcatX »

I use horemonster's detailed weapons, but a opinion from someone who knows sprites more would be better.
i am 93.6665% pure randomness.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

As far as I know, the two main sources for weapon sprites are Horsemonster's Detailed Weapons, and Se7en's weapons.