Gryphon Fleet

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Gryphon Fleet

Post by Kal Adama »

And here we are, after a long break from even thinking about BSF, I finally got back into one of my favorite space-opera series (which, by the way, has no relation to the fleet, so these aren't fanships). I decided to get back into shipbuilding, and this time I personally don't care whether they look good or not, they've got a backstory and everything and they are built for practicality - if they look good, that's purely extra goodness. Enjoy.

Story:
In 2320, after the beginning of mankind's First Diaspora, many ships were issued from the Solar System by the Terran government. After the invention of the von Braun-Lewis hyperspace drive and affordable fusion-torch engines, a mass wave of colonization ensued. Beyond the Solarian Verge, the outer limit of that first expansion, roughly 500 light-years from Sol, lay the Gryphon System - a trinary star with not less than five habitable, Earthlike planets, and massive asteroidal belts. Bidding for the colonization rights became unimaginably fierce after this discovery made itself known among the bidders and their investors. The Gryphon Colony, Inc., bought rights for $100 billion Solarian. Being a well-funded company, its reserves stood at $50 billion, allowing them to equip their colonists and their colony fleet on a lavish scale. Thus, the Gryphonites never had the "landing pains" that most other colonies, which were more hard-scrabble propositions, experienced.
The Derecho System Patrol Craft.
The Derecho System Patrol Craft.
SMscreen01.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
The Derecho-class System Patrol Craft is the Gryphon Empire's main police vessel. Armed with two T-200 "Crippler" EMP missile launchers and a single Kalashnikov SL-2 pulse laser, it is meant mostly for pirate suppression and patrol duties.
Lancer-class DD
Lancer-class DD
The Lancer-class Destroyer is the Gryphon Empire's newest, most advanced destroyer. It is a long-ranged platform, utilizing a nuclear cruise missile system to give it impressive long-ranged firepower, while its 4 MassiveDyne ER-4 extended range energy bolt cannons give it a respectable close-in ability, while its SL-4 pulse laser defends it from strike craft. It also holds a flak array.
Star Knight-class CA
Star Knight-class CA
The Star Knight-class Cruiser (Armored) is the Empire's primary long-endurance scouting and picket unit, able to stand up to anything less than a battlecruiser, and fair few of those can hope to match it in firepower terms, thanks to the 6 MD ER-4 energy bolt cannons, multiple anti-strike-craft lasers and flak arrays, and four nuclear rocket racks. (non MIRV)

ER Missile Pod
Designed to give range-light units a punch exceeding the throw-weight of a dreadnought, the Mark 16 Missile Pod deploys from the rear of a starship, floats to a safe distance, and then fires its payload of ten standoff nuclear missiles in two five-missile waves. Single use.
Mayhew-class BC(P)
Mayhew-class BC(P)
The absolute, bleeding edge of modern warship technology for light combatants, the Mayhew-class Battlecruiser (Pod) possesses the firepower equivalent to a squadron of pre-pod superdreadnoughts, thanks to its ability to deploy the ER Missile Pod in mass numbers, the only limitation being fire-control capability from the mothership. Ship-based firepower suffers for the massive cargo bays required to hold significant numbers of the pods, but is still nothing to sneeze at. 4 MD GL-8 GRASERs, placed in batteries of 2, give it a very significant close-in punch, and 4 ASC lasers, 4 Flak arrays, and 6 countermissile launchers give it a squadron-level point-def capability.
Last edited by Kal Adama on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ninja-Scar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Gryphon Fleet

Post by Ninja-Scar »

The patrol craft looks good but I really like the Lancer, the two guns on the front look nice since there sitting inside of the ship.
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

Thank you, Ninja. I have posted two more things. Was working on a third, a Battlecruiser, but I accidentally aborted the damned thing. Now I'm pissed at myself.
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

Sorry for the double post, but I rebuilt the BC(P) from memory. Thank god for photographic memory...
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

To be honest, I don't all like these ships, because of their blocky shape they seem repetetive and they don't flow. The sections seem to have been put in shipmaker in a somewhat random way which isnt very pleasing aesthetically. one tip to break up the repetition is to use colour. have a check in the beauty pagents and bsf tourney to see what I mean.

Still, not bad for a newbie. ;)
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I like the Mayhew, except the nose which needs something...Also the shading is inconsistent. Keep building!
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

The shading is actually perfectly consistent - different pieces just take colors differently. :) And thank you. I'll try to fix it, anyway.

Once again, as stated in my first post, I really could care less about the aesthetics. These are utilitarian designs, which fight well. I especially love my BC(P), as it lets me mow through fleets of Nagayas, though a pair of Star Knights will ream the holy everloving bejesus out of it.
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

I now abseloutely undoubtably one-hundred-percenterdly HATE YOU!!!
and guess what I have a reason, nobody likes people who make ships that look terrible because they want to make stupid overpowered ships and not care aboutcolouring and shape and finish of with a couple of penisbricks saying: "job done"
the only one which is even slightly pleasing to the eye is the lancer, and you know what even that's not that good! And if you want your shading to be consistent, make the lighter bits a flippn' darker colour!

I rest my case
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
Rockboy3970
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Location: At my computer duh, were did you think I was? the moon?

Post by Rockboy3970 »

kittenpillar100 wrote:I now abseloutely undoubtably one-hundred-percenterdly HATE YOU!!!
and guess what I have a reason, nobody likes people who make ships that look terrible because they want to make stupid overpowered ships and not care aboutcolouring and shape and finish of with a couple of penisbricks saying: "job done"
the only one which is even slightly pleasing to the eye is the lancer, and you know what even that's not that good! And if you want your shading to be consistent, make the lighter bits a flippn' darker colour!

I rest my case
calm down there bud don't eat the noobs head off

though I must agree the coloring is bland at least make it stock green or somthing
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

And guess what? I don't fucking care. They're not penisbricks, but who gives a fuck what I think? I'm just the bitch who made 'em, right?

You know, kittenpillar, it's people like you that made me leave this fucking place in the first place. Overpowered? Please, they use stock guns, and not very many of those. Your first point has been rejected.
Second point. Shading? If you've EVER built a ship (which I doubt very much you've ever made a good one and now you're taking it out on me) you know that shading inconsistancies are going to HAPPEN. And guess what, asshole? If you actually bothered to bring the ships into zoom (click the picture, moron) you would notice that "lower" sections are darker, dumbass.

I rest my fucking case, you pompous twit.
Rockboy3970
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rockboy3970 »

Anna is so going to warn you just wait till you see his cat pics right in front of you

not to be moding here but read the rules it says if you post here in this thread your opening upp to all coments
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

I am open to all comments, just not jerks.
Rockboy3970
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rockboy3970 »

Kal Adama wrote:I am open to all comments, just not jerks.
well you have to account everyone gets worked up every now and then just have to know when they ar eliteraly F***ing you in the face or there just worked up
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Oh crap that was kinda crazy, how about we stop trying to eat each other and chill. sorry I flamed you.
:oops: I feel like a spaz
Kal Adama
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kal Adama »

Fine.