A new member with some new ships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

CommanderForrest
Ensign
Ensign

A new member with some new ships

Post by CommanderForrest »

Hello BSF forums, I've lurked and practiced for quite a long time, and have decided that from here the best way to keep improving is to put up some ships and see what people have to say about them. So without further ado, three of my most recent ships.

The A-13 gunship is fairly simple, small, and wields only two vulcan cannons. Not much of a threat on its own, but in groups the flanking AI can use its high mobility to devastating effect.

The FFG Negotiator is a small frigate, barely larger than the gunship. It's not as fast, but its eight heavy autocannons pack a serious punch for its size. Its low speed and weak armor make it a poor choice to deploy alone, but when used in tandem with the A-13 it provides a significant source of supporting fire as well as point defenses.

The FDD Fletcher provides long range fire support with eight heavy missile launchers protected by shutters on the side. The missiles' poor tracking capacity and their deflected launch angle cause the Fletcher to have trouble in close quarters, though with eight autocannons placed at various points on the ship it won't be completely defenseless. It also boasts four CIWS guns, allowing it to project considerable anti-missile capability for the fleet. The Fletcher is built on the chassis of an older design, the FDD Patton II, which will also be uploaded once it's cleaned up and improvements made while building the Fletcher are retrofitted onto it.

These three ships were made following the Metagame 2 guidelines and should be balanced to MG2 rules as of v3.16. I'd appreciate advice, and let me know if anything is broken, especially if any sprites have incorrect path names assigned. The Fletcher was made with Verm_SWStock and TSA_Uraki_SW, the A-13 and Negotiator were made with Dst-sw. In addition, the Fletcher and Negotiator both use weapon sprites from HorseMonster_Detailed_Weapons.
Attachments
FFG Negotiator.shp
FFG Negotiator
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
FDD Fletcher.shp
FDD Fletcher
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
A-13 Gunship.shp
A-13 Gunship
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by CommanderForrest on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Re: A new member with some new ships

Post by Corporal Jomn »

These are some pretty descent ships. The best one is the 3rd one, although the triangular section near the middle-rear looks like it should be darker.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
CommanderForrest
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CommanderForrest »

With the retrofitting complete, the FDD Patton II has been polished up to be on par with the FDD Fletcher and given a paint job of Federation blue.

The Patton II is a venerable design that relies mostly on two arrays of seventeen autocannons installed along each side to saturate enemy positions with sustained fire. It is designed to operate at medium to close range, where its autocannons can quickly chew through enemy armor. Its high rate of fire and area saturation capability also make it an excellent choice for countering swarms of smaller units that may prove too evasive for the Fletcher's missiles, and its own missiles launchers allow it to get some early hits in as well as providing operational flexibility. However, despite numerous upgrades and retrofitting of new technology the Patton II is beginning to show its age. Its targeting computer is not quite as efficient as the ones found in modern designs, and the placement of its weapons means that it can only bring half of its cannons to bear on a single target. The Patton II has a long and decorated service history, and the new Fletcher missile destroyer was built on its chassis.

Additionally, the Fletcher and Negotiator have received some minor changes. The Fletcher had some depthing issues corrected, and the Negotiator was streamlined a little as well as having its rear wings' behavior changed to act as gun mounts similar to the A-13 gunship. The ship files in the first post will be updated to reflect these changes.
Attachments
Patton Mk II MG.shp
(25.77 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i like the way you've used colour on the fletcher and patton 2, although the blue looks a little oversaturated in some parts. the back looks very nice, but the outline of the front is very blocky and doesn't fit well. i think you should try and refine it to make it more coherent with the back of the ship
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Rockboy3970
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Location: At my computer duh, were did you think I was? the moon?

Post by Rockboy3970 »

wow looks great but could you also upload the sprites you used to I tried uploading the fletcher but BSF blew up in my face since I didnt have any of the parts :oops: and I was really hoping to see if I could blow it up easly :cry:
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i've had a look through the ship files for the patton and fletcher and the sprites used are the TSA uraki sections, Kaelis' mecha, small and miscellaneous sections and Verminator's sw stock sections (however with the last there's a folder error as they're in a folder in a folder (both called the proper names though)) you should be able to search for those
jamiewins2
BANNED

Post by jamiewins2 »

DX i can't download it cuz i don't have those parts :'( :cry: :idea: :arrow: maybe you can update the new folders with mupoos's file creator.
time flys when your having fun.
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

god you noobs drive me CRAZY!!
look in the custom content section of the forums and all your dreams will come true, put the sprite folders in the custom sprite section of your BSF folder and then in the tools tab in SB select 'import custom sprites' and select the sprite you need.
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

Dude, chill. He's new.

Personally i just drag sections from their folders when i need them, instead of going through importing them every single time. But it's up to you.
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

That's because you're doing it wrong. You import them then save them as a sprite ini file so you don't need to do either of those things every time. As for where you do that from, it's been a bloody long time since I've so much as opened shipmaker so all I can say is look in the various drop downs at the top til you find it.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Its under tools "save sprites ini." or something like that
naysayers will be shot
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

There's over 1200 sprites i usually use. Still think i should put them all in one big mess, instead of just going by folders?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

a. make different .inis for each set
b. he wasn't even talking about using sprites, just having them to be able to use ships, and was completely unable to use the search function and dowload them =/
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

I don't see how it'd be any faster than going folder-by-folder, though.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Really? You take the sprites, organize them, save them as an ini. You load up that ini on startup and you have all of those sprites in the nice bar on the side. If you want to use different sprites in that ini you change your group or scroll down or whatever. If you want sprites in another ini you simply load another ini.
All I can say without sounding unnecessarily confused or irritated about this is give it a try and see - unless you've developed a very fast and convenient and completely incorrect folder hierarchy it's pretty much 100% certain that it'll be easier this way.