MageKing17's Creations

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

MageKing17
Ensign
Ensign

MageKing17's Creations

Post by MageKing17 »

I don't really have an overall name for these guys. If there are descriptions set for these ships, I wrote them so long ago I've forgotten about it. Every one of these ships was created years ago, but I thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

Feedback of all varieties appreciated, but please be slightly more verbose than, "It sucks."

I'll be honest and say I can't recall which sections I used to make these ships. I'm going to try to figure that out before I post any ship downloads, but in the meantime, have some screenshots.
EDIT: Custom sprite pack (should contain everything used in these ships, since I used "Export custom sprites" from the shipmaker):
MageKing17's ships' sprites.7z
(169.68 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
For starters, some "old-style" ships:

Hestia Omega
The Hestia Omega was my attempt to re-create the Hestia's various doodads; I'm sure it's just a coincidence that I never touched doodads ever again. After doing that, I decided to give it some upgraded weapons and a defense shield. Because, you know, I could.
Hestia_Omega.7z
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Hornet
The Hornet-class, if I'm remembering correctly, was an attempt to create a ship using Metagame rules. I didn't really like how the ship itself turned out, but all the ordinance it let fly was pretty fun to watch.
Hornet.7z
Includes a weapon-less hull version... for some reason.
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

And now the SWA-ified ships:

Beetle
The Beetle-class is ugly, and not very interesting. It doesn't even have any moving parts! Totally uninteresting support ship.
Beetle.7z
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Griswald
This is actually the second version of the Griswald. The first version was literally the first SWA-style ship I ever made, and I hated it so much I immediately deleted it. The "gimmick" of the Griswald is the glowing core in the center. That's pretty much it; other than that, it's just a covered-in-weapons battlecruiser with a defense shield. And yes, I know the colors are terrible; shading is definitely not one of my skills (although being colorblind doesn't help there). In every other ship, I abandoned trying to color them.
Griswald.7z
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Vagabond
The Vagabond-class is a fire-support cruiser. Those two frontal guns do a slideback animation whenever they fire, and the two side... beam-things retract after firing.
Vagabond.7z
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Lancer
The Lancer-class corvette does nothing but pound the enemy with particle rifles. Get these guys in swarms and they can do a lot of damage.
Lancer.7z
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Fairlight
The Fairlight-class is another support cruiser, that not only draws back those beam mounts, but then retracts the pylons attaching them to the hull, tucking them close in to protect the mounts from stray shots. Of course, anything powerful enough to blow through the shield (since these shields are handled with aegis deflectors instead of nano-matrices) is powerful enough to not care where the beam mount is hiding, but it's the thought that counts.
Fairlight.7z
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Godwin
The Godwin-class battleship was obviously named for Godwin's Law... in the sense that it ends arguments simply by showing up. This is basically the internet-age version of "ultima ratio". That frontal cannon is a burst-fire nuclear launcher theoretically meant to blow away ships in a single volley. In practice, point defense makes it pretty worthless except against ships too weak to stand up to lesser weaponry anyway.
Godwin.7z
(4.32 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Gallant
The Gallant-class... I can't remember what the point of it was at all. Looks better than the Griswald... not that that's saying much. It's also got a huge nuclear cannon, because I was apparently on a nuclear rampage when making these.
Gallant.7z
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Blitzen
The Blitzen-class was me screwing around with turrets, if memory serves. Hence the twin dual-vulcan turrets. Also, I think this also has retracting beam mounts, like the Fairlight.

Polaris
The Polaris-class frigate is basically the Lancer, but slightly bigger, tougher, and shielded. Likewise deadly in groups.

Vindicator
The Vindicator-class battleship was meant to be a flagship, which I think was meant to have travelled back in time to justify how ridiculously overpowered it was. The shield is, if memory serves, twice as durable as the next-most-powerful ship's shield, and it has a dual nuclear turret. Which generally gets around the problems the Godwin has with point defense by swamping said defenses. Also, the front-mounted gun is some non-point-defense-interceptable gun supercharged to destroy most sections in a single shot. The fire rate is quite low, however, so a less-capable fleet can overwhelm this thing through sheer numbers.

And there you have it. Not terribly interesting, I know, but I thought I may as well get these out there. If so much as a single person is entertained, my work here is done.
Last edited by MageKing17 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: MageKing17's Creations

Post by jwa8402 »

I like the Lancer :)
For the rest, I think most suffer from a poor choice of sprites because some just don't go well together. The biggest thing you could work on would be integrating the weapons better so they are not just tacked on. Hope to see more from you.
MageKing17
Ensign
Ensign

Re: MageKing17's Creations

Post by MageKing17 »

jwa8402 wrote:I like the Lancer :)
Gee... my least favourite ship (other than the Hornet... and the Griswald...). Thanks. ;P
jwa8402 wrote:For the rest, I think most suffer from a poor choice of sprites because some just don't go well together.
Well, I don't really remember what my strategy was when I made these, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was no more complicated than "stick that bit on and see what it looks like", so it's hardly a surprise that the sprites don't fit together well.
jwa8402 wrote:The biggest thing you could work on would be integrating the weapons better so they are not just tacked on.
If I were to start making ships again, going for fewer, better-integrated weapons would be a must.
jwa8402 wrote:Hope to see more from you.
Well, that's doubtful any time soon, but thank you anyway.

Also, I discovered the "Export custom sprites" button, so first post updated with downloads.

Also, the last three ships put me over the attachment limit, so here they are:
Blitzen.7z
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Polaris.7z
(2 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Vindicator.7z
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
If anybody wants to do anything with these (can't imagine why they'd bother, though), feel free. Credit would be appreciated, obviously, but then again, maybe I don't want to have anything to do with these ever again... :P