Remake the ships in the game

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Remake the ships in the game

Post by Ubiquitous »

This Thread is about the ships which are rationally armed with various weapons, as the upgrade version of the original ships in the game (roughly the same size), with more "advanced" looking.

here i have made the first 4, they are still nameless :

1. adv. Cronus: pure beam weapons
2011-02-26 15 44 37.png
2. adv. Peitho: deflector defence
2011-02-26 15 44 48.png
3. adv. Arcas: Carrier, deploys fighters
2011-02-26 15 44 53.png
4. adv. Hecate: integrate, fire output
2011-02-26 15 45 00.png
5. compare:
2011-02-26 15 54 19.png
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: Remake the ships in the game

Post by vidboi »

quite nice overall, my favourite out of all of them is the adv. cronus. some things that i think would make them better: a. use more shades of grey to make a better layered effect. b. try and move the side sections on the hecate further back so it's widest point is at the back like the original. basically, check over all the ships and make sure there's a clear visual link to the main features of the original. otherwise, very good work, are you planning on remaking the other ships?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ubiquitous »

@vidboi: Thanx for comments! for now i have only 2 types of gray, and they look pretty alike when put in sandbox, and i will tune the color to refine the look. by the way the shielded section's color is sky blue, not yellow, can't see that in the SM, but it does look greater than yellow.

about visual link: actually i did not intend to make a visual link to their origins, after all they are ships of a totally different style, i just want them to be looked like in a series, to have something in common. you may notice that all the new ships share the same section structure around the core. unlike their origins, each of them has a totally distinct structure.

i have the plan to remake others, now i have the Hestia and Helios completed. the ships of less sections are actually harder to cope with...
Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ubiquitous »

vidboi wrote:quite nice overall, my favourite out of all of them is the adv. cronus. some things that i think would make them better: a. use more shades of grey to make a better layered effect. b. try and move the side sections on the hecate further back so it's widest point is at the back like the original. basically, check over all the ships and make sure there's a clear visual link to the main features of the original. otherwise, very good work, are you planning on remaking the other ships?
here are the small ships:

1. New Proteus:
2011-02-26 22 28 56.png
2. New Thetis:
2011-02-26 22 29 03.png
3. New Aedon:
2011-02-26 22 29 09.png
4. New Zelus:
2011-02-26 22 29 13.png
The Destroyers, 2 of them:

1. Adv. Hestia, of smaller size, not so satisfied yet... needs some rework.
2011-02-26 22 29 18.png
2. Adv. Helios, kept the original shape, because it's hard to keep the feature of its back sections (when one back armor is shielded by reflector, the other one is hard to get hit from the shielded direction ) by using other sections.
2011-02-26 22 29 26.png
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

You see how the grey in ShipMaker turns yellowish in the game? You can turn it off by going into the options menu, clicking the color until it says glow, and sliding all the bars to the left.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ubiquitous »

Corporal Jomn wrote:You see how the grey in ShipMaker turns yellowish in the game? You can turn it off by going into the options menu, clicking the color until it says glow, and sliding all the bars to the left.
get it, thanx!
Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ubiquitous »

some New ships and Revised ships:

Battleships:

1. adv.Athena
adv athena
adv athena
2. adv.Hecate Revised
adv hecate
adv hecate
3. New.Eos: fleet size active defense. looks like a spider...
new eos
new eos
4. adv.Arcas Revised, added more "visual link" to the original one.
adv arcas
adv arcas
Destroyers:

1. adv.Hestia Revised: replace the blaster with autocannons
adv hestia
adv hestia
2. New.Oenone
New oenone
New oenone
3. adv.Sinope : replace the shock beamers with Teslas
adv.sinope
adv.sinope
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

These look nice. They give that refined, polished new look of old ships. The Athena's head, nice choice in using blue instead of white--it feels extra "techy" instead of bland.

My only question is: will you be refining the aliens and pirates?
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Ubiquitous
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ubiquitous »

Silver Swordsman wrote:These look nice. They give that refined, polished new look of old ships. The Athena's head, nice choice in using blue instead of white--it feels extra "techy" instead of bland.

My only question is: will you be refining the aliens and pirates?
:) thanx.
that blue is also applied to deflected sections, though you can't see the effect in the SM. they look so much better than the yellow and white ones, especially on the new Peitho.

YES, i will refine the aliens and pirates after refined all the terran ships. the problem may be that the design of pirate ships are meant to look ugly low-tech and clumsy, so i have to keep that feeling while "refining" them. also i don't know how many ship types are there, because they are not clearly listed as the terran ships. it takes time to figure it out.
Ethereal Entity
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ethereal Entity »

Very naise!