My First Ship Made Using SWA Sections

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Snopel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My First Ship Made Using SWA Sections

Post by Snopel »

this is my first swa section made ship

plz comment
Attachments
Light Battlecruiser
Light Battlecruiser
Terry007abc
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: My First Ship Made Using SWA Sections

Post by Terry007abc »

i don't like the shape/section work much but apart from that, you have no weapon clutter and fair colouring! great job.
:D :D :D

EDIT: i also thing that its a bit big for a "light" battleship!
Lord Aries Greymon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord Aries Greymon »

Terry, please quit being an idiot. While your color comment is of dubious utility, your statement on hull shape was entirely useless because you failed to provide suggestions for how to make it better

Snopel! Nice to see you remained.
The only things I don't like about it are the middle of the back-end, the overly-detailed weapons (possibly just me though), and the off-center nature of the main gun.
Image posted for clarification:
Particularly offensive to me are the parts circled in Green. The rear circle could benefit by removing the two center sections and replacing them with a single part, layered above the remaining two. (q and a keys while a part is selected, make sure CAPSLOCK is off)
The green circles in front are likely best handled by changing one of the two parts for a different section entirely. Experiment untill you find something you like.
The Gold/Brown circle can be corrected by adjusting the large gun's position down a few pixels. you may end up needing a half pixel, that's done with the Y Position text field under the EDIT tab while the part is selected. Add .50 to get a half-pixel. Re-adjust to fit.
You may allso want to beef up the area. Try adding a few pieces to extend the hull out to the red sections on the wings.

The Blue circle just looks barren, perhaps a third engine, or some other protrusion? This could allso be worked into improving the rear Green circle.

This time, please don't remove your ships from your posts. And try not to make another thread/topic for your ships, one is usually more than enough. (Certain exceptions do exist, and generally deal with Multiple Fleets/Styles, or an absurdly large number of ships)

EDIT 1: Clarity on Terry's failure.
Mildly sane.
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Agree with LAG completely. Those Tyrian weps work better with shn than sw, you're probably better off using HM detailed or realistic with sw. Also Svn sw weps (if you can find them).
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Snopel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snopel »

ya I've started to use HM sections on my union fleet topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5571
GKittenBarf
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by GKittenBarf »

Paul the ship does look very good, and seems to be in good shape, for an SWA style, but try horse monster gun sprites, not only do they look really cool, but they also make the ship seem a little more real. Now I know that this game is not suppose to be real looking, but the effect that something seems real is what truly makes people stop to smell the roses; or have the ship seem like a dream or inspiring figure that you could one day build or reach. Nice Job :!:
"Spill my peoples blood,
I spill your's.
Destroy my home,
I will destroy your's.
Try to take my pride,
and you will have no more."
-Poliski Ventruket
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Section usage is horrid, the repetition to the rear of the core is distasteful. I am not even going to comment on the weapons.

Your main problem here is the lack of coherency and realism in your ship. If you are to have wings on a ship, they must be attached to the ship in some visible manner, no? While your front winglets barely pass this, the rear ones seemed glued on. Also, most of the sprites you've used are flat, and your shipbuilding style emphasizes that more.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.