Terran Defence Initiative.

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Terran Defence Initiative.

Post by Lord_Baigent »

My new fleet done in classic sprites. I hope you like it, there are definitely more coming.

TDI Charon

The first completely new warship in the entire TDI navy this small frigate was designed to provide a sturdy heavy firing platform for defending trade routes from pirate raids. Exceptionally fast these small ships pack a large punch for their size, although their armour is limited due to the small size.

TDI Luna

Originally designed as a vessel for the clearing of asteroid belts/fields for the use of shipping lanes. These sturdy ships carry an array of flak defences, designed to deter asteroids and other small space debris, as well as strong reinforced armour in case of impact. The gravity tractors this ship can also deploy allowed it to slow down the passage of space debris for easy demolition. Identified as a potential asset for the TDI navy as a defence vessel became apparent in the Kratatokan attack on the civilian colony of Lumen, the lack of any major defences meant that the small military fleets in orbit had to be backed up by civilian vessels. Through the clever use of the gravity tractors along with their powerful flak defences the ships managed to prevent substantial damage to the colony and bided enough time for the Orion, a Terra class carrier, to arrive and quickly dispatch the attacking fleet. Upon acceptance into the TDI military the Lunas were the first ships to be upgraded with deflector technology, the other ships soon followed.

TDI Deimos

The Deimos was originally designed as a cargo hauler before the war but the ships thin but strong design made it a perfect broadside cruiser. Incredibly successful these cruisers were ble to decimate any smaller craft in combat with its powerful side mounted batteries, two or three of these cruisers could easily take on a large battleship in combat. The lack of a powerful point defence though makes them vulnerable, unless used in conjunction with a handful of Lunas.

TDI Phobos

Throughout the early stages of the war the Terran government were hard pressed for the finances and resources for the construction of new weapons and technologies, the nuclear missile launchers on the Phobos represent this pressure. Nuclear missile were always considered an obsolete technology in the face of newer weapons and were simply phased out by the end of 2050 due to newer more intricate satellite bombardment systems. It was only when the war began that it was found that these satellites beam weapons took far to long to charge when under attack and could be easily avoided or simply destroyed before the beam could fire. It was then the TDI re-discovered the allure of atomic weapons and they swiftly dug out of of earth's nuclear warheads and recommissioned them,although most of these weapons were over one hundred years old they could still deal a lethal amount of damage.
Originally intended to be a fuel transporter the TDI military instantly took interest with the design of the Phobos due to the intricate frontal loading method employed by the ship for the loading/unloading of highly radioactive substances, such as Uranium. Redesigning this loading mechanism the TDI military managed to outfit to large nuclear missile launchers on either side of the vessel allowing for it to deal a huge amount of damage for its size. The huge amount of space required for ammunition and thickened armour, however, has left this ship lacking any other form of defence and thus have made it vulnerable to close range attack

TDI Mars

Essentially the bigger brother of the Deimos the TDI Mars combines the broadside capabilities of its smaller cousin with a much more hardier defence. The original design concept for the Mars was to take the existing Deimos and turn it into a much more hardier and stronger version. The resulting battleship proved extremely effective giving the Tanashan defence initiative countless victories against the Kratatokan fedaration, it even provided a match for the much more technologically advanced Klendethuian dreadnoughts.

TDI Terra

Amongst the first ships to be cannibalized for war the Terra class carrier was originally constructed as a colony ship. Large factories within the core of the vessel allow for mass production of mining, construction and agricultural machinery along with any rescources need for colonisation, whilst large gravity tractors pull in asteroids for rescources. These factories, however, have now been altered for the construction of military weaponry. This vessels two vast side mounted hangars allow for it to deploy the huge amount of fighters that are produced from the internal foundries, as well as the launch of attack transport against enemy ground positions. The deflector system on the front of the vessel was mounted on the warship after the successful field tests performed by the Luna frigates.
Last edited by Lord_Baigent on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where there is war there is COD
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Tanashan Defence Initiative.

Post by Preacher »

i secretly love stock sections, well i guess that secrets out now, good colour scheme and storyline i particularly like the carrier vessel and the second broadside freighter (sorry can't remember names) although the first ship just feels like it needs more added to it and the luna (hey i remembered one) has that hideous impeder launcher sticking out of its ass, also the first converted freighter (again i apologize) seems to have some sections wrongly coloured but you may have meant to do that in keeping with the back story if so then ignore me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord_Baigent »

Yes I admit that the Charon is a wee bit disappointing and I will be improving on its design. The colour faults on the Deimos are purely accidental, I just couldn't be bothered with imageshack to upload the fixed ones.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

To me, it looks like all the ships have got too much repetiton, and it doesn't help when the sections in question are all in the same colour, my focus is being drawn to the brighter sections (resulting in my opinion about the repetition). You can reduce the feeling of repetition by using different shades of colour between each section, which makes the style of the ship flow better, and it breaks up the repetition a bit
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Terran Defence Initiative.

Post by Lord_Baigent »

I've posted a new ship, see first post, and have started work on the TDI Neptune class dreadnought. I am gonna start re-shading them but I haven't got round to it yet.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The small and mid sized ships are good.
Once you get to the Mars and maybe even the Phobos things start to fall apart.
These larger ships look too cluttered with lines, try using sections with fewer lines, or modifying them yourself, so that there are larger "plates".
Also the big red blob at the rear of the Terra doesn't work well at all.
The Demos also has color fail at the rear tail.

Just as a name suggestion.
Make the Luna a bigger class, we would colonize the moon first, and consider that more important than Phobos or Deimos.
Seeing as both natural satellites of Mars are merely asteroids in semi-close orbit.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord_Baigent »

That's right I'm back after a long time... again. Anyway's rather then making a new post and further jamming the forum with topics I've decided to reawaken one of my old topics, I don't think this is necro-ing as I do have relevant items to post.... C&C is welcome, believe it or not I do listen... well I try :D .
Attachments
[b][u]RTDI Mercury[/b][/i]
[b][u]RTDI Mercury[/b][/i]
[b][u]RTDI Luna[/b][/i]
[b][u]RTDI Luna[/b][/i]
SMscreen011.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The Luna is awesome sauce, the Mercury looks rather silly with the colors it has though.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

The Mercury is long and flat and boring, and the highly-saturated blue bit at the front looks really silly. Over-all, it's just not very good at all.

The Luna, conversely, is fantastically well made. I dunno if it was beginners luck or lots of practice or a combination of both, but while it's really simple, everything just fits together so perfectly and makes a lovely looking Hestia-like ship. Really well executed.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Lord_Baigent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Lord_Baigent »

Ah wow awesome... Glad the Luna got good praise. The Mercury was purely an experiment by the way, the blue things meant to be a wide command bridge got it to work on another ship in this forum somewhere. Tried to create another ship of similar styling to the Lunar but it just turned into a bigger messier version... Anyway here's some space stations whilst I'm visiting...
Attachments
Point drone<br /> Small light craft can provide repairs and/or light defence.
Point drone
Small light craft can provide repairs and/or light defence.
SMscreen026.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Omega class prototype laser platform <br />This huge laser platform is still deep within the experimental stages of production. Able to fire a huge beam of highly concentrated antineutrinos this station can quite literally annihilate the enemy target in an instant. Maintaining anti-matter however is understandably dangerous and explosions within the weapon aren't uncommon. If this weapon is ever finalised it could see application as either a defensive station or indeed as a dreadnoughts primary weapon.
Omega class prototype laser platform
This huge laser platform is still deep within the experimental stages of production. Able to fire a huge beam of highly concentrated antineutrinos this station can quite literally annihilate the enemy target in an instant. Maintaining anti-matter however is understandably dangerous and explosions within the weapon aren't uncommon. If this weapon is ever finalised it could see application as either a defensive station or indeed as a dreadnoughts primary weapon.
Gamma type battle station <br />Although a seemingly frail installation the Gamma class battle station  can more than withstand its own against larger vessels. The thin frame is composed of a high-tech metal alloy that can stand its own against most conventional weaponry. Carries two medium range blasters along with four light lasers and two hangars.
Gamma type battle station
Although a seemingly frail installation the Gamma class battle station can more than withstand its own against larger vessels. The thin frame is composed of a high-tech metal alloy that can stand its own against most conventional weaponry. Carries two medium range blasters along with four light lasers and two hangars.
Beta type Battlestation <br />Heavily armoured battle station with no real weakness. Armed with two heavy mass drivers this station can devastate most targets before they can get within weapons range. Four light laser batteries plus two hangar bays provide close quarter defence.
Beta type Battlestation
Heavily armoured battle station with no real weakness. Armed with two heavy mass drivers this station can devastate most targets before they can get within weapons range. Four light laser batteries plus two hangar bays provide close quarter defence.
SMscreen030.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Alpha type platform<br />Small lightly armed point defence platform. Designed to provide anti-fighter support to larger orbital installations.
Alpha type platform
Small lightly armed point defence platform. Designed to provide anti-fighter support to larger orbital installations.
SMscreen028.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 1260 times