Possible BP Ship

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ink
Ensign
Ensign

Possible BP Ship

Post by Ink »

Hello there everybody.
I've been lurking for quite some time now and finally I feel like I've made something I want to share.
I would like to put this ship in the Beauty Pageant but I recognize that I'm still a noob compared to the people on these forums so I'm putting it here to get some C&C on it.

This ship requires MIRV to run.
Attachments
TerraNova.shp
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
TerraNova.rar
All the sprites in the ship.
I'm quite sure they're all Kae sprites with the exception of 2 bullets and 1 weapon.
(16.05 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
TerraNova.png
Angeal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Possible BP Ship

Post by Angeal »

For a ship from someone who is new... hmmm... its alright... the yellow and the general blockiness of the ship do not appeal to me ... also im not quie sure what the white sections orbiting the ship are supposed to be... but this ship is a fair bit nicer than most ships that are uploaded which is good... My final conclusion is that this ship isn't Beauty Pageant material so don't submit them for the BP... just wait for Anna to comment on this ship and he might offer some useful shipbuilding advice.
Roses are RED,
Violets are BLU,
In Soviet Russia,
Sandvich eats you.

Gamertag: SpectreX027
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Have you ever considered investing in full stops and linebreaks, Angeal, instead of writing horrid run-on sentences broken up by ellipsis after ellipsis?

As for the ship: don't use stock/old-style weapon/module sprites on SWA ships. Period. Also, those... shield things have got to go, they look awful. The front seems unfinished.

Otherwise: I've seen worse. But I've seen better, and I'm not really sure what to do with that thing.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

Are those orbiting bits a Knossos reference?
Ink
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ink »

Thanks everybody for the feedback :)

Angeal:
The white things are rotating shields.

Arcalane:
Most of the weapon sprites are supposed to be invisible except the cannon in the middle. The "weapons" would be just sections that look like weapons. But it can be changed if it looks bad. Are there such things as SWA weapon sprites?
I agree that the front is a little off but I'm not sure how to fix that without wreaking the firing animation.
This ship used to be made up of warning forever style sprites and back then the shields fit in but I guess that they don't anymore so I'll try a few ways to change them but if it just doesn't work then I'll just scrap them.

Retsof:
Knossos? The palace? I'm not sure how rotating shields would reference an ancient palace.
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Ink wrote:Retsof:
Knossos? The palace? I'm not sure how rotating shields would reference an ancient palace.
He was referring to the Knossos Device, a subspace portal in Freespace 2. If you look at the picture on the page I've linked to, you'll see that the shield sections on your ship closely resemble the four larger sections of the portal.
Ink
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ink »

Oh so that thing's called the Knossos Device.
Yea when I first made the shields they didn't look like it but I changed it to look like the Knossos Device when after I saw it in a demo of Freespace 2, b/c I though it looked really cool.
So yea I guess it is a reference to Knossos then Retsof.