Retsof's Ships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Retsof's Ships

Post by Retsof »

Preacher wrote:although STARSTRUCK did a used triggers to give the impression that the ship was accelerating in his Viking ships check it out to see if its what your after, of course your relatively new so I don't know what your trigger experience is like.

On the whole though a decent start, you show some skill so hopefully with a bit of practice you will be churning out awesome ships in no time ;) .
Thank you, and hopefully you're right. As far a triggers go, all I've done so far is make an artillery frigate that exposes the gun when it has a target and closes agian when there's nothing to shoot (not part of my current set of ships).
Gunzershreck
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Gunzershreck »

Uh i kinda don't like them there realy BOXY and TRIANGULAR Try using Diff Shapes or Combine them?
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

Here's a candidate for the new Mercury, which further Terran ships will be based on. I will wait for some feedback before continuing.
Attachments
Merk2.png
Merk2.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I've heard of people being told to build small, but I think you need to build a bit bigger. There's only so much detail you can squeeze into half a dozen sections, and you're not at that level yet. They all seem partly-finished.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

I understand. I just wanted to try and get the feel of the ships down before I moved on to the bigger ones. That way I wouldn't have to redo a 20 section ship. I suppose a ship with only 3 weapons qualifies as more of a gunboat than a frigate anyway. I will now do a scale shift. The next Mercury prototype will be bigger and better armed.
EDIT: Is there a way to disable a weapon when a section is destroyed? I was thinking of making a bridge that if destroyed would basicaly turn the ship into a large asteroid.
Aurafire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aurafire »

I'm awaiting your bigger ships, because you seem to have the basics down on these small scale ones.

As for the bridge idea, maybe that's under the realm of triggers, but I really have no idea.

Maybe set a driver on the bridge so when the bridge gets destroyed the driver does too? and the main guns go dead?
Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm just speculating.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I think there's a trick you can do that involves a tiny spinning section or something, but I forget the details.

Ed: As for scale, think maybe on the order of HorseMonster's Laser Wars stuff or around that area.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

Erm... This would be too big then. I may save it for a cruiser though. No weapons on this one yet. Thoughts?
Attachments
SMscreen08.png
Aurafire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aurafire »

The outline of the ship in front seems a little off, and it needs coloring.

Coloring (shading) is to give a sense of depth to the ship, the darker a color is, the more the brain thinks that's a low point on the ship. So, darker=lower, brighter=higher.

The back end flows pretty well though. That's good.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Still feels unfinished. There's no defined outlines and components, especially engines.

Also, too many generic2 sections.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

Arcalane wrote:Also, too many generic2 sections.
Not many other sections have the blocky feel I'm going for.
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

Have you looked at any of the Dst sets? They're pretty damn good, in the sw style, and there are some blocktastic bits here 'n' there
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

I'm away from my comp right now, posting from librairy. But I was wondering, is there any particular order of building that is better? I have been building mine from the bottom up, starting with a dark lower/inner layer, a middle layer, and a white top/outer layer. Each layer extends beyond the previous one.
Aurafire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Aurafire »

I guess it's whatever you're most comfortable with. I usually build front to back, making it up from a general concept as I go along.
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

I tried to make a bit more flow in the outline, and to give it a bit more defined engines. the empty spot in the front middle will hold a main gun, with those side sections to protect it.

Um, I realised the armored front sections don't blend well, expect a change.
Attachments
SMscreen010.png
SMscreen010.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 1177 times