Tank wars

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Tank wars

Post by Arcalane »

Learn to walk before you start trying to run.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm sounds like a cool idea and I wish I could help you but thats beyond me and probably the bulk of the forum. I think you should try to perfect other things first but if you must do triggers and such, start smaller, like building just a mech. You can do this by placing weapons(that don't fire) on joints as drivers to control the next connecting limb. The arc range is how far a limb will turn. You want to limit each driver weapon more the further away from the body the limb is so its anatomically correct.

If that doesn't make sense I can work up a sb4 for you so you can see how everything connects. Or someone more experienced can tell you exactly what you want to know :roll:
Attachments
This is the best version I've seen of what your trying to accomplish.
This is the best version I've seen of what your trying to accomplish.
thenoobiebuilder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thenoobiebuilder »

Heh you know I won't really try to build any really really good ship until I know all I need to know to make EVERY part of it.
So yes if you could make a sb4 of it that would REALLY REALLY help.
I want to make this thing right.
And I still need to know how to make the sections move when the ship moves

My goal is to make it sort of like the planes(mechs) on this trailer
(Of course the mecha in this trailler are at least 50 years more advance then the mech I'm trying to build is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEBHiKPhDo

Can't wait :D

TNB
I am a fan of the "Push F to fire everything" idea.

I really don't know why I'm thinking these thoughts,
but I do know they aren't mine...
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

The first two are polar opposites, the first lacking detail and the second being a mess of random bits. As per the triggers I did stuff similar to that a while back (one of which is in my sig) and there are both good and bad in what you posted. Since you're going for a "tank" idea, its good that the entire ship jerks back when it fires, but the barrel doesn't look right in how it animates. Also, having the spent shell just kinda slide away and disappear isn't very convincing. Try making it go faster, spin a bit and fade rather then just popping out of existence.

The thing, the only thing, about the starscream thing that jumps out at me is how much you shrank those two little fins. Otherwise it's very blank.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif
thenoobiebuilder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The first two are polar opposites, the first lacking detail and the second being a mess of random bits. As per the triggers I did stuff similar to that a while back (one of which is in my sig) and there are both good and bad in what you posted. Since you're going for a "tank" idea, its good that the entire ship jerks back when it fires, but the barrel doesn't look right in how it animates. Also, having the spent shell just kinda slide away and disappear isn't very convincing. Try making it go faster, spin a bit and fade rather then just popping out of existence.

The thing, the only thing, about the starscream thing that jumps out at me is how much you shrank those two little fins. Otherwise it's very blank.
Ya I'm in the process of rebuilding the artillery and haven't yet started on the tank as I need to learn how to make the treads move only when the tank moves.

And I don't know how to make it move AND fade,only move or only fade.

The starscream thing(known as a Veritech fighter) is like I hinted before an "operational prototype", I will not really put everything I have into it until I know I can animate everything right.
So if someone tells me how to animate things right I will make this fighter really look good!

TNB

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Alright you clearly missed my point. Before you should even try to do triggers, try to make something that actually looks good. So far you have not impressed anyone. Your mech just looks like single section fighter with arms slapped on. Your tanks are nothing to write home about. One of them looks like a block with lines drawn on.
Maybe you should learn something from a fellow shipbuilder called Hazelwooder
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4816&start=0
naysayers will be shot
thenoobiebuilder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

You seem to have not understood my earlier posts.
So I will repeat what I said, in a everyone might understand.
TNB wrote: I WILL NOT MAKE IT LOOK GOOD BECAUSE I NEED TO ANIMATE THE PIECES,
the day I learn to animate them is the day that I will make them look "good".
I just can't build them completely or get past the "operational prototype" stage until I know all the techniques required to build every inch of ships.
(And yes I've seen his ships and for now they are beyond my building ability as hey all projects are frozen for now)

The faster I get the info the faster I will fix the tank and arty and work on the fighter.

Yes, I got your point but did you get mine?

TNB

Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

We read your post. At least I did. I also facepalmed. If you can't make something good without animations, it won't be any different WITH 'em. Probably even worse. So really, stop being stubborn, practise with what you got, experiment, learn the program and hey presto, stuff will come out. Try it, try to look at other ships to see what they did right, and what they did wrong. Honesty with yourself and practise. Oh, and time *grumbles at his severe lack of the latter <<;*
Salute otsam ee nashem dedum -
Zahvietum eekh fsigdah vierney.
Tepierre nichtoh, nee astanoivit,
Pabiedney shark, radnoy straney.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

In fact, if you can't grasp the basics of moving sections yourself, then they're probably beyond you. Look around the forum for tips.

Here's a big one: Linking sections to weapons can be used for more than one effect.

If you want to know more about triggers and sections, look around the forums for tips and learn the basics yourself. Otherwise I could give the most detailed information in the world and it won't do you any good. I still don't know exactly what you're trying to DO with the moving sections anyway. If you told me exactly what you want to try, in detail, with specifics, I could possibly help you out.

That said, you really need to learn to listen to what people tell you. You cannot just jump into things like triggers straight away. It's better to get down the basics of shipbuilding first, otherwise you won't have any idea what to do with triggers or movement anyway.

Basically, stop being a retard and demanding that everyone just accept your shit ships and feed you information on a platter when you can't even be bothered to learn the basics.

Or else. :)
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.