i am a protoss

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

i am a protoss

Post by themastersays »

soo, after 5 hours of SC2, i got " Foooorrr Aiiiiuuurrrr" stuck in my head, so i made protoss carrier.
so, this is one of my attempts at making a some what detailed ship. as you can see, it not exactly complete. i am thinking up a way to represent the shielding system the protoss uses. i am also in need of a way to make smaller fighters, because for the sake of keeping it close to original. but for now, the drones will do.

if anyone have any ideas on how to make the core smaller, plz tell.

i made most of the parts used for the ship close to 0.5 of the original size. this is me thinking ahead about a day when i will create a map with immobile ships as structures that will use ship lauchers to produce other ships.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... reen01.jpg

and here is the terran battleship:
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... reen02.jpg
Last edited by themastersays on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Re: i am a protoss

Post by Kiltric »

Okay, the shape is interesting and great. I don't know about the Protoss, so I can't comment on this as a fan ship. But as a ship in general, all I have to say is lurk more. There are so many things that you've done wrong here that the best answer for you is to look through old threads and find out what those mistakes are. Or just wait, I'm sure a handful of people will scream at you for one thing or another.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

The structure's wimpy and weak, has no semblance to the carrier whatsoever, and it's not even the colors of the protoss. This looks like something that was put together in half an hour. Or less.

Suggestion: give SW-sprites a hit, and use some blue doodads and actually try to give some decency to the ship. I've seen enough protoss carriers without playing SC2 to know that that does not look anywhere near protoss.

I see that you have succeeded in making the top structure, but you left out 3/4 of the rest. Your sense of scale is a bit off. The holes in your ship are too compared to the ones on the model. In fact, they aren't even "holes". They're small "gaps" like the space between a tangle of vines.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, ok you can fix this. To start off you almost never want to shrink or enlarge sprites more than a click or two. Also, smaller is much better for fan ships; allows for more detail, especially when there are almost no top down quality shots of it. In the old days builders really did have to put shape before accuracy because of so few sprites but now if you look around you can often find something that resembles what you want. I haven't seen this new carrier before now but try something closer to this size and using more of the alien sprites.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... n023-1.png
If you like starcraft, you might also try something comparatively easier as far as shapes go, like the Terran Battlecruiser. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... perion.jpg
themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by themastersays »

lol, thanks for pointing the stuff out.
yes i admit it was a hasty job on my part, took way too many short cuts, but this is my best attempt with a top view. would be awesome if i find a back or frontal view. Someone also said wimpy and weak for structure, i have to say that is an underestimation, it is quite durable, but it is very fun to watch when it is blow to pieces, there are so many frags, it is like watch glass shattering.
as for the terran battle cruiser, i am already making progress. i kind of already noticed that scaling is bad, so i stopped doing that. i am a bit lazy when it comes to coloring, XD
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

What you should do is find a top down picture or schematic of the ship you're trying to make, and use it as your background. It needs to be .bmp, mind you. But that's easily converted in mspaint.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by themastersays »

i tried the whole background technique for fun. here is the result. I found one of those kind of blurry star-destroyer pictures and made the entire thing from stock parts, because this was before i found the SWA sections :p.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... en06-1.jpg
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

It looks horrible. :cry: The internals are a mess, and it's overly cluttered. Also the engines seem too small.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well at one time that would have gotten some props for the size and relative accuracy of the shape I suppose. And it is hard to do something that big with swa sections. If you aren't gonna bother to color it though, at least shade it and maybe even outlining would be appropriate. Its up to you how far you want to go with this though. Moar engines, not bigger.
themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by themastersays »

i agree with the fella who said the internal is a mess, i mean, i literally first outlined the shape and try to fill in the gaps jig saw style. should watch when the thing blows, it can kill 3 full HP #19 just from the frags and yes, this is before i had SWA section. i am probably never going to touch this thing again due to the fact it can go into sand box from ship maker. just opening it from BSF has 50/50 change of it not loading because it is just o big and stupid( Lord Vader is not plzed with the result). But is is nice to load it up once in a while in sand box to stare at it because it is big.....

The fella that said it is hard to do this with SWA section is probably right. i was using large amount of small parts to fill in the holes. and most SWA parts already have some level of shading, thus, trying to create the large smooth surface of the star destroyer would be damn hard.

and speaking of frags, how does a ship built specifically built for runing into the core of enemy ship and transforms to expose it's core to get hit on so it can blow up and and causing large amount of frags and damaging and destroying the core of the enemy ship. i am still trying to figure out how the whole frag bussiness with the game mechanism so i can direct the frags.
MegaJohnny
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MegaJohnny »

The basic shape (of the carrier) is there - it's just very stretched out and spindly.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

You could use transformations and hope that the core gets hit, or alternatively you could just use the kamikaze ai mode... And fragments are affected by a number if things. On a stationary ship they will travel away from where the core was, and the closer to the core the faster they travel away from it. When the ship is moving they're also affected by the speed it's travelling at. It's much easier now to use the critical object module that arcane made for the MIRV beta release
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...