The ship experiment

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LongcatX
Commander
Commander
Location: behind you, oh wait, im behind you again ...watching you...

The ship experiment

Post by LongcatX »

the purpose of this is to see, just how far we can push standard sprites. so this could get interesting :) . just upload something you have made with just the four sprite groups, to kick this off i will post an old ship i made with a friend in SM3

this is more about sectioning than weapons
Attachments
remember it was in SM3. critique is allowed, but don't mention anything dumb, like "get some sprites noob!"  anyways its a mechanical dragon
remember it was in SM3. critique is allowed, but don't mention anything dumb, like "get some sprites noob!" anyways its a mechanical dragon
i am 93.6665% pure randomness.
STARSTRUCK

Re: The ship experiment

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Woah. Woah. Hold your horses, broseph.

Isn't this basically the Limited Stock category of the new Beauty Pageant? If I wanted to be a useful, upstanding member of the community, I'd be putting up my wonderful new stock turd there. Unless I didn't want to take any criticism for it at all, in which case I would just carry on weeping, alone and unwanted.

Besides, I honestly can't see anybody pushing the envelope of stock sections in here anytime soon.

As for your ship, your friend's section work is at once whacky and repetitive, and the level of color cohesion is close to nil. If I had to say something good about it though... well, I guess it looks a wee bit like a mechanical dragon?

Snip off the wings and give it a subdued color scheme, and there's a chance it might look pretty good.
LongcatX
Commander
Commander

Post by LongcatX »

STARSTRUCK wrote:Woah. Woah. Hold your horses, broseph.

Isn't this basically the Limited Stock category of the new Beauty Pageant? If I wanted to be a useful, upstanding member of the community, I'd be putting up my wonderful new stock turd there. Unless I didn't want to take any criticism for it at all, in which case I would just carry on weeping, alone and unwanted.

Besides, I honestly can't see anybody pushing the envelope of stock sections in here anytime soon.

As for your ship, your friend's section work is at once whacky and repetitive, and the level of color cohesion is close to nil. If I had to say something good about it though... well, I guess it looks a wee bit like a mechanical dragon?

Snip off the wings and give it a subdued color scheme, and there's a chance it might look pretty good.
ok btw we both worked on it more him than me, but really. this is just seeing how much we can do with stock sections, which really will make ya more creative so enjoy your uncreative ships
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
LongcatX
Commander
Commander

Post by LongcatX »

Preacher wrote:Ahem THIS http://www.majhost.com/gallery/STARSTRU ... en0495.pngis creative
yes, but the point is to only use stock sections that came with BSF.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

enjoy your uncreative ships
...he says to one of the best and certainly the most innovative shipbuilder on the forums *facepalm*

most people don't do much in the way of stock sections nowadays, but if you want to see what you can create enter the limited stock section of the beauty pageant. i would post what i'm working on for it right now, but as it's for the BP i won't
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Goddammit Preacher, I had a very relevant stock ship in that very same thread and you had to pick up my Limited Realism entry as ammunition. Not to say that I'm endorsing Longcat's pretense of "creativity" in any way. It takes just as much creativity to use the fancier section styles as it does to use stock sections.
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

Hm, sifting through the older pages of this section might give you a better clue as to how far one can really push ship building using stock sections. A good number of people used them especially well, tweaking the aegis glows (in editor) for stuff and what not, also cramming stuff together so well it seems like it's not stock at all!

Something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3021

My main comments on your dragon ship: Coloring, it's too varied, colors don't exactly flow into one another. Weapons are not required to be in 90 degree angles. And if you really want to push it, add more details to each part of the ship and or try your hand at animating pieces!
LongcatX
Commander
Commander

Post by LongcatX »

DSMK2 wrote:Hm, sifting through the older pages of this section might give you a better clue as to how far one can really push ship building using stock sections. A good number of people used them especially well, tweaking the aegis glows (in editor) for stuff and what not, also cramming stuff together so well it seems like it's not stock at all!

Something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3021

My main comments on your dragon ship: Coloring, it's too varied, colors don't exactly flow into one another. Weapons are not required to be in 90 degree angles. And if you really want to push it, add more details to each part of the ship and or try your hand at animating pieces!
yay your best person to post here yet :D and good ideas , and that ship is what im talking about, can we improve upon that to make it even better, , working with limited options can help you mix and match the right pieces!
LongcatX
Commander
Commander

Post by LongcatX »

vidboi wrote:
enjoy your uncreative ships
...he says to one of the best and certainly the most innovative shipbuilder on the forums *facepalm*

most people don't do much in the way of stock sections nowadays, but if you want to see what you can create enter the limited stock section of the beauty pageant. i would post what i'm working on for it right now, but as it's for the BP i won't
btw im not afraid to challenge people... and one problem with that , i want to see what other people can do with it.
apparently i picked a bad day to make this thread seeing as how i did not know the beauty pagent was coming up... :?
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Just, uh, a little newsflash. There's a reason we have all these fancy sprites and features... People already perfected what we had way back when. And I mean perfected. Everything's been done already. Nobody will ever build a monster to rival Anna' old monsters from way back when we had like ~20 sections total.

Food for thought from the 12th century, you know?
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
LongcatX
Commander
Commander

Post by LongcatX »

Chiiro wrote:Just, uh, a little newsflash. There's a reason we have all these fancy sprites and features... People already perfected what we had way back when. And I mean perfected. Everything's been done already. Nobody will ever build a monster to rival Anna' old monsters from way back when we had like ~20 sections total.

Food for thought from the 12th century, you know?
or they got bored...and started using sprites, and it can't be perfected, nothings 100% perfect...and do you know how he did that? no.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Nothing stock can ever tip Anna'es Ascendant Justice. Period.
Neither do you longcat, and unless you try out for yourself you'll never find out.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

What were saying is that most of what can be done with stock sections has been done, emphasis on the most if you come up with something revolutionary (which you haven't) then feel free to share, but so far stock sections in my opinion should be used more as a training tool before going up to SWA because its harder to make pretty stock ships.

@STARSTRUCK: Really sorry I actually meant to post that image I must have miscued :(

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

LongcatX, there is nothing special about your ship. I can safely say it is less creative and certainly less good than the ships that people routinely made using stock sections two years ago. It's certainly nowhere on the level of things like STARSTRUCK's entry into the Limited Stock Category, which shows genuine skilled section use and creativity. If you like your old ship that's fine, but to call him uncreative is a level of hubris you are far from entitled to.
Nothing stock can ever tip Anna'es Ascendant Justice. Period.
I don't think I've ever made a ship by that name...
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.