Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - RESULTS POSTED

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Re: Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - Judging Starts

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Preacher wrote:im not sure that LT tested any of them except STARSTRUCKS actually, i put some huge thruster flares on my ship which makes my non existing engines ummm well, kinda impossible, unless he meant something else.

and stock green is probably worse but hey.
Yes, I did test all of them. Now my Custom Sprites folder has ~10 more funky folder duplicates. But that's besides the point.

Flares =/= engines. Mind you, I said near nonexistent. They were there, but slapping a HM_Rocketbits on doesn't get much in my book. I pointed this out mainly because the rest of the ship is well done, but the engines lacked more detail, which I could tell you definitely could've added.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

ah i see all is explained, and yeah i thought you might have meant that, and sorry about all the sprites :S

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Most of the judging has been done already. I guess this just leaves guilee186.

...god, I hope he shows soon.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

To further assert your awesomeness i presume? :P

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Anna, out of curiosity, will the results be determined by the total combined score between judges or an average? Or does each judges' winner in a category get a sort of nomination?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Everyone loses!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Kiltric wrote:Anna, out of curiosity, will the results be determined by the total combined score between judges or an average? Or does each judges' winner in a category get a sort of nomination?
Perhaps you should look at my previous Beauty Pageants and figure that out? :P

I'll post the final results later, since judging is now over.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Anna wrote:
Kiltric wrote:Anna, out of curiosity, will the results be determined by the total combined score between judges or an average? Or does each judges' winner in a category get a sort of nomination?
Perhaps you should look at my previous Beauty Pageants and figure that out? :P

I'll post the final results later, since judging is now over.
Imma hazard a guess that starstruck won.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

SO SORRY I WAS SO DAMN LATE! I was stuck at camp T_T

Limited Stock Category:
RSP/K-9 Sakuri by STARSTRUCK
--- Aesthetics: 10/10
--- Originality: 8/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 10/10
--- Functional Appearance: 8/10
--- Playability: 6/10
Total: 42/50
Comments: It's pretty, yes. The uses of triggers? Well-executed, but very, very subtle. Brownie points for that. But Playability is where it all goes into WHOOPS mode. As I mentioned before, although it opens in BSF fine, your messy parenting and poor sense of flow (at least technically) causes instant eyeburn the moment I press "P" in ShipMaker. Not a pretty sight. If I can correct and re-form your parenting in less than 5 minutes, I think you can too.

The Anabrou by Doogie12
--- Aesthetics: 6/10
--- Originality: 4/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 3/10
--- Functional Appearance: 7/10
--- Playability: 3/10
Total: 23/50
Comments: By far and large, it looks like it should: a battleship. Consider toning that outline down. It's made to emphasize, not to GLOWY GLOWY BEAMU everything.

X-210 Loki Beam Destroyer by Icy
--- Originality: 7/10
--- Functional Appearance: 6/10
--- Playability: 7/10
Total: 29/50
Comments: I think that it would have been better if you'd expanded on the purple colouring, but that's just me. :D

Bufo-Bufo by Son Tzu
--- Aesthetics: 3/10
--- Originality: 3/10
--- Functional Appearance: 2/10
--- Playability: 1/10
Total: 12/50
Comments: I... can't describe how much I'd like to shoot you right now. WHAT KIND OF BATTLESHIP IS THIS? IT LOOKS LIKE IT'LL FALL APART ONCE I FIRE THE ENGINES!

Delta Executor by Arcalane
--- Creative Section Usage: 4/10
Total: 27/50
Comments: This may sound harsh, but sorry Arca. I personally think that placing that many "PEWPEW LASER BEAMS" on just one ship, even if it's a battleship, is in poor taste :P. On the other hand, I like the fact that it actually felt and looked like a real battleship, (other than the weapon clustering.)

ADY-001 Heavy Leading Cruiser by Deltaflyer
--- Aesthetics: 7/10
--- Originality: 6/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 4/10
--- Functional Appearance: 5/10
--- Playability: 4/10
Total: 26/50
Comments: It looks pretty, but fragile. Nothing really, seeing as everyone else already took the cheese and commented.

Earth Coalition EC-HC99 Dawnspark-class Heavy Bombardment Cruiser by CheesyErwin
--- Aesthetics: 8/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 6/10
--- Playability: 3/10
Total: 31/50
Comments: FINALLY! A battleship I can love. The design is mainly what makes it stand out to me- It looks like it was designed for punishment, and that it would crush everything in it's path. On the other hand, as Anna said, it's rather badly checked game stats were... disappointing.

Shield Runner by Destroyer #1
--- Aesthetics: 1/10
--- Originality: 1/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 1/10
--- Functional Appearance: 1/10
--- Playability: 5/10
Total: 9/50
Comments: *vomits blood*
Congratulations. You're a textbook definition of a troll. -Danny
~Armored Core is to Cosmicbreak like Starcraft II is to World of Warcraft.~
Anna

Post by Anna »

Holy shit, look who showed up. If you can get your judging done in the next few days I can wrap this shit up and then never do it ever again. :lol:
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

"Borrowing" from Anna to make this move a little faster.

Limited Realism Category:
Guardian Mechs by Doogie12
--- Playability: 8/10
Total: 35/50
Comments: They look functional, and they work. Good job on that. On the other hand, they're a little to small to do anything, but they flow, so yeah. Good job.

Yeomas Class Battleship by Icy
--- Creative Section Usage: 7/10
Total: 33/50
Comments: This ship is... clean, I guess. I don't really know what to say, but the only real gripe I have is the size of that goddamn engine. It's so huge compared to the rest of the ship. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the engine was the head of the ship, in some main-weapon thingy.

Iris-class Beamcruiser by STARSTRUCK
--- Functional Appearance: 10/10
Total: 45/50
Comments: Once again, your parenting lets you down. Other than that, it IS the most beautifully crafted ship in this competition, and the attention to detail, along with your aesthetic skill, makes this entry very, very tempting to give full-marks. But then the design looks to similar to one of Eri's designs, so... yeah.

JS-01 Jiangsu-class Long Range Support Cruiser by CheesyErwin
--- Functional Appearance: 9/10
Total: 37/50
Comments: ITS A SOVIET WEAPON! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Other than that initial horror, it's very, very well executed. The industrial clutter adds a nice effect to the way the ship looks, and it certainly looks like it was cobbled together. Nicely done.

'Clear Sky' Vectoring Destroyer by Rugdumph
--- Functional Appearance: 5/10
Total: 35/50
Comments: It's a flying fish. Period. It's pretty at first sight, and the use of the extravagant arms serves to distract from the not-so-nicely made tail. It's not bad, but it's not really good either.

Syracuse-class Beam Cruiser by Water_and_Wind
--- Aesthetics: 9/10
--- Originality: 9/10
--- Playability: 9/10
Total: 47/50
Comments: ITS SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE! /end reference. Okay, I really, really, really, really love this ship. It's perfectly executed, and the way that this ship transforms is just... epic. I really like the way that this ship was crafted, and with your usual sense of technical ingenuity you pulled off what should have been a rather mediocre design into the legends.

Maedhros-class Fast Attack Destroyer by ArcaneDude
--- Playability: 4/10
Total: 30/50
Comments: It's pretty cute and nicely made for a small ship and all, but the flares look like they are permanently firing so that the ship would be able to keep in space. Rather... gritty and rough, to put it bluntly. The design itself is pretty clean, but the effects ingame make it rather mediocre in comparison to the entries before.

FireFlower by Son Tzu
--- Aesthetics: 2/10
Total: 23/50
Comments: The idea is good, but the execution is horrible. The ship looks like a black spider more than a fire-flower, whatever that is. The missile movements are pretty, and they're just about the only thing that makes up for it's lack of aesthetics and lack of good old-fashioned common sense.

Cumulonimbus by Ryen
--- Functional Appearance: 9/10
--- Playability: 9/10
Total: 39/50
Comments: I like this ship. The only place where I find it lacking is in the long, tubelike middle of the ship. It reeks of poor detail, at least to me. Other than that, it is very, very nicely done, especially considering the role it was meant to play.

Gaia by jwa8402
--- Originality: 9/10
--- Playability: 5/10
Total: 33/50
Comments: It looks structurally sound, but why the yellow parts? They distract from the flow and general ideas that the whole design seems to emphasize. It's not bad, and I admit, it's pretty original. But the lack of proper linkage from part to part makes the design sort of... flop.

ICM Battleship by Raul
--- Aesthetics: 3/10
Comments: What in the world were you thinking, placing such a white part just above the core and making the whole design contrast so greatly? It's admittedly quite sturdy-looking, and seems to work fine in it's position as a battleship, but do bear in mind that you should try to use contrast to highlight or illustrate a certain, important point.
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

SORRY SORRY Anna! Server went down for me for a few days after November, and then I got called away to camp, so... yeah. That's what happened to me and my 'disappearance'.

Freeform Category:

Iron Mountain: Susini Class by Preacher
Comments: The ship seems a bit... meh. It certainly doesn't look like it's namesake, and much less looks like it can take or dish out much damage, but to my great surprise, HOLY SHIT IT KILLS! That certainly made my day. Thanks, and good job, though still improvable.

Vereor Messor - Cruiser by MuhhammedJihad
--- Aesthetics: 5/10
--- Creative Section Usage: 5/10
Total: 27/50
Comments: Alright, so this ship looks and seems like a solid pile of bricks. Not at all original nor interesting. There seems to be no guiding concept or anything behind it, but I admit, it's pretty playable. Not creative, but not that bad, either.

Qui'zenon IV by Lord Aries Greymon
--- Creative Section Usage: 2/10
--- Functional Appearance: 3/10
Total: 19/50
Comments: How does this even look like a ship? It's a fat, ugly piece of poop, and certainly, the colourscheme doesn't seem to help. It looks like someone took out a curve ruler and started to scribble all over a piece of paper. The only saving grace is the glowing, green panels, and even they don't help much. Sorry man. LURK MORE.

Sweet Coronet SR2 by STARSTRUCK
--- Creative Section Usage: 9/10
Total: 44/50
Comments: FINALLY! SOME HALF-DECENT PARENTING! GOD DID IT TAKE SO LONG TO DO THAT? /rant
Okay, now down to business. The ship is beautiful, and it reminds me of one of the old Metagame designs. I remember Eri and Squishy going on about some twiddly gunship thing that looked like this. Wonderfully done, and the beautiful use of effects has me gasping for air. You've put into practice what many couldn't: The art of making something look functional yet classy and stylish.

Capellan Titan by calvin1211
Total: 34/50
Comments: One good piece of advice: faux aegis isn't good for single sections, unless you're going for stock. They tend to make everything a little bit too... eyeburn. Other than that, it looks like a extremely cool alien lifeform, that will eat you, spew you out and then devour you again :D

Warship by Destroyer #1
--- Originality: 5/10
--- Playability: 1/10
Total: 13/50
Comments: Really, first-timers should NOT enter competitions. They tend to get owned. REALLY REALLY HARD. Follow Anna' advice. It's good for you, me and the rest of the community.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Limited Stock:
  • 1st Place - RSP/K-9 Sakuri by STARSTRUCK: 202/250
  • 2nd Place - Earth Coalition EC-HC99 Dawnspark-class Heavy Bombardment Cruiser by CheesyErwin: 162/250
  • 3rd Place - X-210 Loki Beam Destroyer by Icy: 145/250
  • 4th Place - ADY-001 Heavy Leading Cruiser by Deltaflyer: 140/250
  • 5th Place - The Anabrou by Doogie12: 102/250
  • 6th Place - Delta Executor by Arcalane: 97/250
  • 7th Place - Bufo-Bufo by Son Tzu: 68/250
  • 8th Place - Shield Runner by Destroyer #1: 43/250
Limited Realism:
  • 1st Place - Syracuse-class Beam Cruiser by Water_and_Wind: 226/250
  • 2nd Place - Iris-class Beamcruiser by STARSTRUCK: 225/250
  • 3rd Place - JS-01 Jiangsu-class Long Range Support Cruiser by CheesyErwin: 188/250
  • 4th Place - Cumulonimbus by Ryen: 185/250
  • 5th Place - 'Clear Sky' Vectoring Destroyer by Rugdumph: 181/250
  • Tied for 6th - Guardian Mechs by Doogie12: 166/250
  • Tied for 6th - Yeomas Class Battleship by Icy: 166/250
  • 8th Place - ICM Battleship by Raul: 163/250
  • 9th Place - Gaia by jwa8402: 156/250
  • 10th Place - FireFlower by Son Tzu: 154/250
  • 11th Place - Maedhros-class Fast Attack Destroyer by ArcaneDude: 150/250
Freeform:
  • 1st Place - Sweet Coronet SR2 by STARSTRUCK: 224/250
  • 2nd Place - Iron Mountain: Susini Class by Preacher: 163/250
  • 3rd Place - Capellan Titan by calvin1211: 161/250
  • 4th Place - Vereor Messor - Cruiser by MuhhammedJihad: 126/250
  • 5th Place - Qui'zenon IV by Lord Aries Greymon: 91/250
  • 6th Place - Warship by Destroyer #1: 81/250
And with that it's my distinct pleasure to bring the Fifth Beauty Pageant to a close. I'd like to thank my judges. I'd like to. But I won't. Because some of them I think did a miserable job and I will certainly never allow them to judge again, if there's ever a Sixth BP. I won't name names or point fingers. Some of them did well, some of them didn't. Perhaps the ones in question will know who they are.

As it stands, there's unlikely to be a Sixth BP unless forum activity increases significantly at some point, something I don't see happening any time in the near future. I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the winners. You all deserved it, and I wish I could give you something for your efforts.

Maybe I'll work up some fancy custom title bars or sig banners for those who scored in the top three in each category... I don't know. I might give it a shot.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - RESULTS POSTED

Post by jwa8402 »

Well the judging was only really poor in one or two cases, so it wasn't so bad considering how rare these are. Since BPs do seem to bring people back, maybe having them more often on a smaller scale would help? Maybe not. Bit disappointed nothing came of the fanship category but thats understandable. Still, thanks to the majority of judges for your comments.

In any case, thank you Seraph for hosting this and putting up with the same nonsense every time. I hope you don't give up on the pageants or the forum because for what its worth, a single new design by you draws more people than the rest of ours combined.
Anna

Re: Fifth BSF Beauty Pageant - RESULTS POSTED

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Well the judging was only really poor in one or two cases, so it wasn't so bad considering how rare these are. Since BPs do seem to bring people back, maybe having them more often on a smaller scale would help? Maybe not. Bit disappointed nothing came of the fanship category but thats understandable. Still, thanks to the majority of judges for your comments.
Mini or small-scale BPs are something worth considering... I'll think on that. And yes, I'm sorry I wasn't able to do anything with the fanship category, but with only three valid entries it just didn't seem there was much point.

And I probably am being a bit too harsh on my judges. Really guys, thanks for putting in the effort. Even if Kiltric's judging made me want to reach through the internet and punch his face off.
jwa8402 wrote:In any case, thank you Seraph for hosting this and putting up with the same nonsense every time. I hope you don't give up on the pageants or the forum because for what its worth, a single new design by you draws more people than the rest of ours combined.
Haha. As much as I love receiving praise, I can't accept this praise. I'd like to think I'm super fantastic, but I know better. My designs are refined from practice, sure, but others like Starstruck are naturally gifted and are able to use sections in all sorts of new and creative ways while I... am mostly stuck in old habits. I don't think my designs really do much to draw people any more, much as I'd like to believe otherwise.
Quality Control Enforcer