Anna's Shiny Ships - Surprise on Page 5

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anna's Shiny Ships - New Concept Ship on Page 3

Post by Doogie12 »

@TheBuilder. I'm pretty sure you did more harm then good.

Okay, now I'm REALLY regretting the fact that I didn't download Machine's sprites...
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

heh now this is something I never expected anyone to pull off this well. The next step might to to make some 'metal' pieces that match parts of the biological pieces, like ribs, and vice versa with some bio pieces that match shiny/dst sprites to allow for midway hybrids. Or maybe thats too much work.
Glad to see Builder's idea properly expanded on. This may herald a swarm of beastly ships unto the forum.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:The next step might to to make some 'metal' pieces that match parts of the biological pieces, like ribs, and vice versa with some bio pieces that match shiny/dst sprites to allow for midway hybrids.
I'd totally do that, except that would almost certainly require making my own sprites, and I can't sprite for shit. :lol: Glad you like 'em though!

Here's the whole fleet so far:
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Anna's Shiny Ships - New Concept Ships on Page 4

Post by Silverware »

And Anna delivers he goods again, great work on these, very unique, I expect to see ripoffs of these in the next few weeks. haha.

Good job, Only nitpick I have is that the organic sections don't really match with the inorganic ones. But this can't be helped unless HM or Kae likes these and makes you some.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

I think they look fine as they are, and also: Such a sectionpack would probably be very limited in its uses, wouldn't you rather have a more difficult to use but many times more versatile and usable with other packs.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Re: Anna's Shiny Ships - New Fleet In Progress

Post by Da_Dooley »

ooh, ooh, ooh, hawtness alert!
That is interesting. I look forward to more of these.
The funny thing is, and I shit you not, I thought of this exact same idea (Machine's sprites w/ shinies) a week or so ago. I nixed it because it would take too much of my time. It's like John Carmack all over again.
Anna wrote:...so while I was taking a shower...
Why, everyone knows that the best ideas come when you're in the shower!
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Crimsonflame
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Crimsonflame »

Awesome ships, as always. :)
I'm assuming both the longer ones have wiggly tails?
What's the power rating on the Shrine? :P
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

Crimsonflame wrote:What's the power rating on the Shrine?
It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAND!!!

Hey, I just realized that these won't take as much time as I thought. Would it be OK if I worked independently on my own renditions of this style? I'm only asking so that you won't sue me for intellectual copyright violation. :lol:
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I hate to burst the bubble, but I really. Do nawt. Like these ships. The contrast between the fleshy parts and the shiny parts is so great they just... don't look good. The flesh seems tacked on to the metal or vice versa. There's nothing wrong with them technique-wise, but aesthetically I don't think this really works.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Anna

Post by Anna »

Da_Dooley wrote:Hey, I just realized that these won't take as much time as I thought. Would it be OK if I worked independently on my own renditions of this style? I'm only asking so that you won't sue me for intellectual copyright violation. :lol:
Go for it. I'm curious to see what you can do.
ArcaneDude wrote:I hate to burst the bubble, but I really. Do nawt. Like these ships. The contrast between the fleshy parts and the shiny parts is so great they just... don't look good. The flesh seems tacked on to the metal or vice versa. There's nothing wrong with them technique-wise, but aesthetically I don't think this really works.
To each their own. I sort of agree that the flesh bits don't mesh too well with the Shiny sections, which is mostly because the shiny sections has black outlines and shit, but I did what I could with the tools I had available and I think it turned out decently.

These ships wouldn't necessarily be to everyone's taste anyway. I don't really think they look especially "pretty" either, but they do look like what I was aiming for. Fuckin' cyborg spaceship aliens.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I love the eye shield on the Shrine, as well as the little arm on the Altar and the rib pieces. You did do what I was saying in a way; in many places it looks like limbs/body parts are replaced by metal. I agree to a degree with AD(heh) cuz I found the sprites rather dark, and they are really limited since their mostly cut up from star craft units. I think the important part was pushing boundaries since this has never been done well, and you accomplished that. The sprites themselves in this game have always been subject to continuing development anyway and are usually second to the overall design.

And actually Crimsonflame might be on to something. Wouldn't be hard at all to give give these joints like a mech or the 'space whale'.
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:I love the eye shield on the Shrine, as well as the little arm on the Altar and the rib pieces. You did do what I was saying in a way; in many places it looks like limbs/body parts are replaced by metal. I agree to a degree with AD(heh) cuz I found the sprites rather dark, and they are really limited since their mostly cut up from star craft units. I think the important part was pushing boundaries since this has never been done well, and you accomplished that. The sprites themselves in this game have always been subject to continuing development anyway and are usually second to the overall design.
Indeed. At any rate, I'm glad these turned out fairly decently. To be honest though, my favourite ships from this little collection aren't Altar or Shrine, but the drones! :lol: They look so cute!
jwa8402 wrote:And actually Crimsonflame might be on to something. Wouldn't be hard at all to give give these joints like a mech or the 'space whale'.
Already done that. :) They're fairly heavily jointed, really. The tails curve to follow the ship as they turn, legs wobble about a bit too. The robot arm on the Altar moves about like the arms on the Bee series of ships, and the Drone's heads and arms move about to acquire targets.
Quality Control Enforcer
thenoobiebuilder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by thenoobiebuilder »

What the!
Oh no its attacking!!
AHHHHH!!!!!!
Words from an unfortunate captain who was attacked by the Altar.
His last thought: I should have quit this job YEARS ago!.... :D

Wow you REALLY did a good job here.
They make me want to go grab my tinfoil hat and run to the other side of the universe lol

Although the spine on the Altar I think should be hidden.
I mean what cyborg supership would want its SPINE to be attackable?

Other than that I think you made these things perfectly Anna

my regards,
TNB
I am a fan of the "Push F to fire everything" idea.

I really don't know why I'm thinking these thoughts,
but I do know they aren't mine...
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Competent throughout, but not exactly exciting. The bioships are a welcome change of pace, but all the others are rather repetitive. It's basically either "giant tube that looks more like an engine then a rocket" or "main body with sidepods that have guns". Not bad but it's the same thing you've been doing for-bloody-ever.
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Noctis888/SMframe0001-5.gif
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yeah fuck off Noctis nobody asked you. I've made just about every sort of ship design imaginable in the last 3 years. Now I stick to making the stuff that looks best and that I personally like. If you don't like it, go eat a dick.

Oh, and welcome back to the forum.
Quality Control Enforcer