First time doing this... need critique

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

PathBlaze
Ensign
Ensign

First time doing this... need critique

Post by PathBlaze »

So, yeah, I am new here, and I decided to post my first two ships that I built:
The Saber:
Primary role is to give heavy fire support to friendly ships-requires protection, as it can't take much hits
The Scutum:
Primary role is to shield Sabers from attacks-defectors helps make a nearly impenetrable shield if used correctly.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: First time doing this... need critique

Post by Doogie12 »

I actually like those quite a bit. You should, however, use w to depth weapons and set module to alpha of zero. Otherwise you're off to a great start.
naysayers will be shot
PathBlaze
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PathBlaze »

Ooo, thanks.
I can't figure out how to add a custom skin to modules (I now assume that it's impossible, since there is no "custom sprite" within the modules) But making modules disappear will do.
EDIT: How do you add exhausts to engines?
Rookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rookie »

nice ships, i like the asymmetry, and again you might work on weopon placement and some section work is a bit off but these ar wonderful ships, and you can ad an exhaust like a section (there are several nice sprites for this) if you want a steady glow type, or use the thruster/thrusterx for exhaust during movement, and if you set it up right mix it and do both.
The courageus don't live forever,
Th cowardly don't live at all.
PathBlaze
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PathBlaze »

Rookie wrote:nice ships, i like the asymmetry, and again you might work on weopon placement and some section work is a bit off but these ar wonderful ships, and you can ad an exhaust like a section (there are several nice sprites for this) if you want a steady glow type, or use the thruster/thrusterx for exhaust during movement, and if you set it up right mix it and do both.
Regarding the "weapon placement" comment...
...can you give me an example? :)
ZombieBane12
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by ZombieBane12 »

weapon placement eh.... i think i can give you one (im lazy so ill post my war for the universe ship)
Attachments
SMscreen011.png
SMscreen011.png (12.87 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
To rule a country of a thousand chariots, there must be reverent attention to business, and sincerity; economy in expenditure, and love for men; and the employment of the people at the proper seasons. -Confucius
PathBlaze
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PathBlaze »

Ah, I see.
I have to go angle my weapons.
Rookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rookie »

You might also try depthing (press W with weopon selected), and general movement of weopons helps, expiriment a little bit is a comment ive been reading a lot.

Ps: about war for the universe, ive been working on other things don't have anything in progress.
The courageus don't live forever,
Th cowardly don't live at all.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

By the way, you should probably be aware that if you mirror your ship after depthing weapons it'll break the ship and it won't load properly in game, so mirror first and depth each weapon afterward.