Laser Wars

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Laser Wars

Post by Doogie12 »

This entire thing is practically Moderators/Kaelis vs. Admins/Arc vs. Meta2.0developors/HorseMonster
...I doubt thats intended, just kinda funny I thought.

theres parts of each faction that I like, for example, The Kebb have great enginework, while the ASDF have this weird secionwork that I'm fond of...
The GORE have legitly placed weapons as well.
I like them
naysayers will be shot
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

ASDF-D4 Kusarigama
The Kusarigama class is a deviation from traditional ASDF design philosophy developed in order to test the combat effectiveness of capital-scaled ASSSAVE weapons. Carrying minimal laser armament and only equiped with four slow firing ASSSAVE Phase 2 launchers the Kusarigama is relatively ineffective at close range combat and the volatile nature of ASSSAVE warheads (as opposed to the non-volatile nature of the ultra high energy capacitors used to store the gigawatts of energy used to power laser cannons) makes the Kusarigama less durable than a similarly sized laser armed vessel would be.
Armament
4x ASSSAVE Phase 2 Launchers
2x Medium Lasers
4x Light Lasers

ASDF-C2 Yari
"Traditionally the strategicness and tacticallity of a warship was defined entirely by how big it was and how many lasers it had on it, however in light of recent technological developments how many ASSSAVE launchers it has is also important. The most important thing is still how big it is though and the Yari is pretty big and anyway it still has some lasers on it just to be safe." - Admiral Gorlan Pzok on the Yari class
Armament
4x ASSSAVE Phase 2 Launchers
6x ASSSAVE Phase 1 Launchers
6x Light Lasers
2x Twin Medium Lasers
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

the ships are nice in design, but i think that the shading needs more contrast as they just look a little flat right now

also
the non-volatile nature of the ultra high energy capacitors used to store the gigawatts of energy
and where does this energy go when the capacitor is destroyed? they have a tendency to explode rather violently...
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

GORE V3R Abaddon
The V3R variant of the Abaddon is widely regarded as a myth by most, but if it did exist, the damage it could inflict on the other factions would be the stuff of legend. The V3R's front is protected by a powerful energy field, dubbed the "Shield of the Righteous" or the "Shield of Righteousness" by the Grand High Council. As long as a crew shows full faith in their gods, they shall not have to fear the blows of their enemies. In reality, the Shield is hardly impenetrable, but hits below a certain power simply cannot break through. A sufficiently powerful attack or a number of weaker simultaneous strikes might overload the shield however, and an attentive commander will quickly notice the small grey device attached to the vessel; this is the true source of the Shield. Destroying the device by blowing through the engine block will instantly shut the protection field down.

Contrary to the displayed image, the V3R sacrifices it's Torpedo Launchers and it's side Medium Lasers have had their coverage adjusted to protect the flanks somewhat more. The V3R is also slower and a little more fragile than the standard Abaddon, making it less of a threat.
Armament
1x Twin Snub-Superheavy Laser
5x Medium Laser

Just for laughs. The GORE don't actually have shields.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Some of you may not have noticed I snuck an update into the GORE post. Well, now you know.

A little known feature of the Surgat is that some variants sport Chameleon Coatings that allow the paint to shift colour.

They're not very convincing disguises under close scrutiny, but in the heat of battle, they can be enough to distract and confuse the enemy long enough for the ship to get close enough to deal serious damage. These guys still pack blue laser weaponry, unlike the ASDF or Kebb, so once they start shooting, the cover's bust.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Whoop ass!!!!
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

A new GORE ship! And it's kind of like a space triangle! And it's not a recoloured Marauder!
GORE V5 Moloch
Space Triangles. Long have they held great power and significance to the people of the ASDF and Kebb Confederacy. Seeking to turn that imagery against their foes, the Grand High Council of the Gloriously Orange Republic of Eden commissioned and sanctified the Moloch. It is a lumbering, inelegant, but incredibly powerful warship that will not go down without a fight, necessitating the "needless sacrifice" of lives and warships to destroy it. It is not, however, a one-ship fleet, and works even better when well supported.
Armament
2x GORE Heavy Missile Array
4x Leveller TNC Torpedo
9x Medium Laser
Also, adjusted the ASDF-disguised Surgat. The disguise isn't meant to be 100% flawless (otherwise they'd just use stolen, repaired and properly painted Kamas) but is a lot better than the first try;

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I absolutly love those little triangle ships! Their simple but feel like a complete ship. Also nice turrets on the Moloch.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Eh, I kinda stole the idea from the Kebb/ASDF Marauder-type ships. Credit should go to HM for coming up with it first I guess.

That said, I finally nailed a "main turret" design I'm happy with. I always wanted the Moloch to have some BFG turrets to make it stand out from the rest of the GORE fleet... I could never really find anything that worked. Then I realized that maybe guns weren't the way to go... maybe I could do something a little different...

Behold!
GORE V5 Moloch X
An unorthodox development in the history of Explosive Warhead Missiles, the Moloch X features two Saturation Missile Turrets atop it's chassis. Each launches four powerful missiles in rapid succession. Each is essentially a Breaker-type Explosive Charge Torpedo with significantly boosted range, albeit with extended reload times. The Moloch X sacrifices nothing to deploy these launchers - indeed, surveys suggest that the incorporation of turret-based systems was planned from the beginning, but scrapped from the production-model Moloch due to time restrictions. The Moloch X is more expensive (and thus lesser in number) than the "standard" Moloch, but is an even more dangerous foe.
Armament
2x Saturation Missile Rack
2x GORE Heavy Missile Array
4x Leveller TNC Torpedo
9x Medium Laser
Missile turrets never get any love.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Terry007abc
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Terry007abc »

Decided to join in on the fun and build meh own "fan based" fleet! Havent finished but i need some help:
  • Where did you guys get/make the backgrounds?
    Do you Mind if i post a small Fan Made fleet here?
    HorseMonster, can you please include the sections/sprites you used on your ships?
    Do you mind if i use Yellow?
Now the Questions are over, was thinking of calling my fraction the "Introventia Colonists"!
The Introventia Colonists first started apearing on the borders of known space around the start of the laser wars. At first, all they did was Colonise a few moons and small planets. Then they found a very recource rich planet. The Planet had already been Colonised By Kebb Confederacy. The Colony was presition nuked from orbit before the Kebb could put up ther guard up. Thats when we first Realised that they were hostile, all atempts to make peacefull contact with the Introventia have been met by a baradge of mistles up the Arse!
Preview of an Introventia Ship:
Spoiler!
SMscreen010.png
SMscreen010.png (11.06 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
Admiral Patches
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Admiral Patches »

Dunno 'bout you guys, but I reckon Terry's new ship looks kinda awkward at the rear... just my observations.
Shipyard: Admiralty Shipyards
***Current Project***
BF-01 Paracelsus (Beam Fortress)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

More importantly, it seems to be suffering from a distinct shortage of lasers. This is Laser Wars after all.

Ed: The end does look pretty awkward though, I'll admit.

Ed2: GORE download v1.2a available!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Terry007abc
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Terry007abc »

i focoused my ships around cannons and LRMs but i could probobly turn them in to lasers!

EDIT: My ships can be disabled by shooting of the jets and the gravic-stabaliser pod!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Again, Laser Wars, as much as I sully it with the use of missiles and torpedoes (much to HM's apparent dismay), is all about lasers. It's ultimately up to HorseMonster or not though whether new weapons/factions/etc. are added, if he still cares.

GORE ships can also be slowed down by destroying their engine areas. Not that they were really very fast in the first place.

This GoogleDocs spreadsheet has a lot of useful information. Please do not adjust any of the existing values that you didn't add yourself. If you add anything, use the same layout as the other tables.

If in doubt, check the locked backup pages.

Orange and Indigo aren't included as laser colours because 1) they both suck like you wouldn't believe*, and 2) indigo isn't really a colour of it's own, it's just a shade of purple/violet. HM is quite insistent about this.

*Orange is inferior to red in the Tiny/Small/Medium department, and just outright terrible in the Heavy/Superheavy departments. Indigo is a complete load of arse in the smaller categories, and generally inferior to violet in the heavier categories... violet also sucks in the smaller categories, as a sidenote, but is still better than indigo. Nice balancing theme going on!

There are also some prototype beam weapons on the Other Weapons sheet - which is where anything that isn't a laser or a missile should go - that nobody uses yet, much like the ASDF/Kebb torpedo stats are just there for comparison/etc.; neither of them actually use torpedoes.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Terry007abc
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Terry007abc »

oooooo! i dident know you had a spreadsheat! Hmmmm. The thing is, all of my ships are extreme range and 1 GORE Legion can rip apart any of my ships at short range but i can take down about 3 Abaddon Cruisers at a range of 1200-2000! you see what i saying?

Also, i balanced out my weapons acordingly! Can post the stats if you want.