Workbee & Co - Wreckerbee and Minibee Downloads On Page 5

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Re: The Workbee - Download On Page 2

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

I'd say no to crimsonflames suggestion, since I think that would look odd, the size is just fine now.
Also it's subtle, but nice new camo scheme.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

There is already extra armor on the "biceps". It does not really needs to be bigger. Maybe just make the armor more obvious or thicker?

Still your Warbee looks very nice. Really love the camo look.
And it looks a lot more military looking, like how a military vehicle looks tougher then a everyday jeep.

Any future plans along this design?

Also are there any plans to release a dl for the Warbee?
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

wingstorm wrote:There is already extra armor on the "biceps". It does not really needs to be bigger. Maybe just make the armor more obvious or thicker?
I just did that, as a matter of fact! I was about to post it.
Still your Warbee looks very nice. Really love the camo look.
And it looks a lot more military looking, like how a military vehicle looks tougher then a everyday jeep.
Yeah, I really dig the camo look as well, I think it turned out pretty well. The shade of green I was originally using was far too green, where as the greens now are a sort of yellowy, faded green, which looks way cooler and fits with the camo really well.

The brightest shade of green was actually taken from a picture of the Zaku from Gundam, so I've kinda nicknamed the ship the Zakubee. :lol:
Any future plans along this design?
I'm not sure yet. I do definitely like the camo look, even though it makes absolutely no sense for a spaceship, but I'm not sure what else I can apply it to yet.
Also are there any plans to release a dl for the Warbee?
Of course! :) Once I've finished ironing out the bugs in it (there are a few) and have everything just the way I like it, I'll definitely post up a download for people to play with.

And here's the updated screenshot:

On a semi-related note, does anyone have suggestions on more Workbee variants/alterations? I really love the Workbee, and want to see what else I can do with it.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

Anna wrote:The brightest shade of green was actually taken from a picture of the Zaku from Gundam, so I've kinda nicknamed the ship the Zakubee. :lol:
Not a bad name, given that the original Zaku sort of evolved from civilian working mechas.
Anna wrote:Of course! :) Once I've finished ironing out the bugs in it (there are a few) and have everything just the way I like it, I'll definitely post up a download for people to play with.
You make a BSF user very happy.
Anna wrote:On a semi-related note, does anyone have suggestions on more Workbee variants/alterations? I really love the Workbee, and want to see what else I can do with it.
Any ideals would have to make good use of the bee's arms.

Suggestions and ideals:
1)A "cargo hauler" version that works with the Workbee? Acting as a sort of collector and mover for the collected ore? It can do so with the arms and maybe has containers strapped to its sides?

2) Following the Zaku theme. How about a "high speed" version? Maybe armed with "beam sabers" that attacks by hitting the enemy as it flies by?

BTW, Just asking, there is no "tractor beam" part available in the game currently right? The kind that appears in Star Trek? As in a part like the repair module.
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Workbee & Warbee - Download On Page 2

Post by ArcaneDude »

Workbee: I quite like this. You've made excellent usage of (what appear to be) several non-similar section packs to creat internals that blend perfectly. And I salute you for the incessant amount of work that must've gone into those arms. Splendid work. One minor nitpick though, I liked it better without the stripes, they cover up the internals too much IMO.

Warbee: The camo colours are well done, and the whole thing looks like it can swarm over a big warship and shred it to little bits like a swarm of killer bees swarms over a hapless hobo. Nice.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Why not make some smaller ships that have the same concept as the work/warbee that are weak individually but can overwhelm a capship with numbers? Just throwing this out there.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

I like the new one. Although I must say 'praying mantis' might fit better now with the change in colors and everything. :lol:
IMO the missile launchers in the back kinda mess up the depth but it might just be me.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Corporal Jomn wrote:Why not make some smaller ships that have the same concept as the work/warbee that are weak individually but can overwhelm a capship with numbers? Just throwing this out there.
I might try that later, perhaps. Although getting smaller versions of articulated limbs would be... tricky, it would certainly still be entirely doable.
25000st wrote:I like the new one. Although I must say 'praying mantis' might fit better now with the change in colors and everything. :lol:
IMO the missile launchers in the back kinda mess up the depth but it might just be me.
Heh. Glad to hear you like it, and yeah, it is kinda mantis-y looking. The missile launchers mess up the depth, you think? Hm. I don't really see it, personally, but perhaps it would look better if they didn't stick out as far as they do.

Anyway, Update!
Warbee-01.zip
Warbee download, containing .shp, .sb4 and all the required custom sections. Enjoy!
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Come and get it. :) Up next will be the Wreckerbee, a salvage ship once again based upon the original Workbee hull. After that, I'm considering a cargo-carrying/moving version called the Haulerbee, or maybe a Sensors and Electronics Warfare version... I dunno.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Re: Workbee & Co - Warbee Download On Page 3

Post by Anna »

Needing to make double-posts due to lack of commentary is getting really old, guys. D: Ah well, I know you're all busy and stuff and I guess don't want to comment unless... you feel like commenting, or something.

So here's what I've got of the Wreckerbee so far:
SMscreen016.png
SMscreen016.png (22.32 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
I'm... not really happy with the colourscheme at the moment. It feels far too saturated in places, and yet, less saturated shades of yellow start looking kinda meh... I'll need to experiment more to get it right. If I'm unable to do so, I might instead give it more of a worn and rusty look. Minmatar-ish.
Quality Control Enforcer
vVhorpax
Commander
Commander

Post by vVhorpax »

For a minmatar feel, I would try a more brown/bronze colour

and this:
Attachments
ducttape.jpg
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Are the claws animated or will they be if they're not? Also I suggest the rusted look with orange stripes like the yellow ones from the workerbee.
Anna

Post by Anna »

xVhorpax: I know perfectly well what kind of colour scheme would be Minmatar-ish, thank you. At the moment I am aiming for a construction vehicle kind of look in the colour scheme, like that of a crane or a bulldozer or some shit like that, but thanks for the non-sequitur that doesn't actually address my ship itself... just what I always wanted.

*sigh*
Lizzie wrote:Are the claws animated or will they be if they're not? Also I suggest the rusted look with orange stripes like the yellow ones from the workerbee.
The claws are not animated at the moment, as making them be animated would require me to make custom sprites. Presently the claws are all one section. I may make them animated in the final product, but am currently undecided.

I'm also undecided on whether I'll keep posting my ships and posting feedback in other people's threads, as I notice a fairly large lack of reciprocation. I'm probably being hasty, but it's really frustrating to see that seven people are browsing the Custom Ships Board and yet not one of them could be bothered giving me any god damn feedback.
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i think right now the colour scheme's right for the wreckerbee, even if the yellow isn't quite right. i don't think that a rusty colour would really suit the theme, as these appear to be quite high tech, new ships, rather than rusty old tug boats...

perhaps some texturing like this?
pulled this one out of some old texturing i did a while ago
pulled this one out of some old texturing i did a while ago
hazardbrushedsteel.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
other than the colours, i have to say it's mostly fine. i like the adaptations you've made, especially on the arms, apart from two places

a) the bits sticking out the side, not entirely sure what their purpose is...

b) the joints connecting the outer arms, the adaptations make it look messy, especially with the removal of those curved covering pieces
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Now that wreckerbee is a great progression of the work bee! Two knitpicks, the big claws on the small arms seem, well to be not quite connected, unless the 'wrists' are just tiny, and the parts sticking out beside the strafing engines, not really a knitpick cause strangely i find them suiting the design, just can't figure out what they're for. I remember trying to make an industrial yellow ship once, i never found a happy medium between vegas lights yellow and sick brown, hope you have more luck!

On the warbee, well it's just plain pretty damn awesome. Also i really like the single asymmetric centre piece at the front of all the ships, just adds something very appealing about them all. Maybe some sort of resupply version might work, with one set of arms, or just one even, as a refueller, just a thought from the pipes/cables on the big arms of the wreckerbee.
Last edited by Arcalane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: LEARN WHAT A FUCKING PARAGRAPH IS. NOBODY WANTS TO READ WALLS OF TEXT.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Maybe a standard Minmatar rust look with the Yellow stripes over it similar to the Workbee.
The pods sticking out on the rear look strange, and don't seem to fulfill a purpose. Maybe having a smoke doodad animation come out of them would fix that.
If you stay with just the yellow then the "head" area needs to be dulled down to fit with the yellow on the arms and back.
The manipulators seem to be on the wrong arms as well, maybe switching them over would help a little.

Still its a good ship and a worthy addition.

Oh and your posting hourly sometimes so give people a break with their posting, sometimes people just don't have constructive criticism or the praise has already been mentioned by another.