The Omen Group Shipyard

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

The Omen Group Shipyard

Post by TheBuilder »

Reaper Class:

The Omen Group always thought it was funny how the human race was chosen to receive such powerfull technology. They really didn't care though, to them it was just something fun to do.

After a few years fiddling around with the interface, they become quite adept at using it. Though their creations were, admitedly, not as gracefull as others were, they were just as, or even more deadly.

Their first notable design was actually very simple; a standard ship's core armed with many weapons. The group was intriged by that fact that a basic core could hold up so many weapons, so they decided to research how it was possible. What they found was even more intriging, technically, the setup should not have been possible becuase of the massive strain such a layout would place on the hull. Thus they called it: Paradox.
Gunboat/Patrol Boat/Fighter: Paradox
Paradox.jpg
Weapons:
One of every weapon, (none modified)
Paradox.shp
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
After design such a small craft, Omen figured that they needed to show that they could successfully design a much larger, though consequently, slower craft, since they seemed to terrify, and amaze anyone who saw them. While working on the designs, Omen found that there was a limit to the amount of parts the interface would allow to be part of a single craft. Much to their dismay this caused the design to have to be cut-back in some places so that it could be completed with its full armament. In the end this lead to an oddly spider-like design. Considering the irony of the fact that everyone in Omen hated all manner of bugs and what not, they dubbed the design the "Arachnid".
Carrier/Flagship/Battleship: Arachnid
Arachnid.jpg
Weapons:
18 modified TacNukeLaunchers
144 Flak Guns, (unmodified)
Four modified MegaTachyons
Devices:
Four NanoMatrixes, (unmodified)
58 AegisDeflectors, (unmodified)
Arachnid.shp
(123.73 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Now considering two ships wasn't much of a fleet, Omen went to work on designing a ship to be a combined moderation of the first two. They found that they could repurpose some of the previous design's internal structuring to create the hull. Though wishing to have made it a bit bigger, the group had to accept that with the current interface, the design wouldn't function right. Cursing their lack of abilities, they relized what the thrid design should be called; Hex.
Battleship: Hex
Hex.jpg
Weapons:
Two modified Vulcan Cannons
20 modified Sabot Cannons
Hex.shp
(14.96 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Omen now had three ship design that they were relatively happy with, but they still thought that something was missing. The answer was rather simple, they now had ships but nothing to dock , command, or for that matter, test their creations, thus they designed a simple station that would cover all three aspecs. They didn't bother to give it a name, but it eventually came to be know simply as "Target".
Dock/Command/Practice Station: Target
Target.jpg
Devices:
17 NanoMatrixes, (unmodified)
Target.shp
(5.84 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Content with their small fleet of ships, Omen decided that this first set of noteable designs would be classified as Reapers.

Now satisfied with their work, Omen set out to see what they could do to improve the interface, but that, dear readers, is another story. . . . .
Last edited by TheBuilder on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
thenoobiebuilder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Reaper Class Shipyard

Post by thenoobiebuilder »

Lighten up your colors on the third ship it looks like it was from hell.

Otherwise they are ok for your first few ships.
I know mine were worse.
I think I might want to test you target station, to see how long it lasts against one of my fighters.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
I am a fan of the "Push F to fire everything" idea.

I really don't know why I'm thinking these thoughts,
but I do know they aren't mine...
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

These aren't exactly any good, but I suppose they will do for a start. Remember to avoid stretching any sections, and try to pull some distinctive details out of your hulls. You'll want to keep your shapes meaty and shiplike and probably brighten up your colors.

Download a few of the SW spritepacks and try them out. I'm displeased at the number of FNGs clinging to the stock style in recent times. Please try the SW sections out. Please.

Additionally, I would love to have a glimpse of the series of events that lead up to those horizontally swollen screenshots. You aren't winning any awards for presentation there.
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Thanks all. One thing about the screenshots, I took them with a program called snapshot, which allows me to save them wherever I want to, in whatever format I want to. Click on them twice to get them to full size.

@Starstruck, I know that the "rail" that each pylon seems to move back and forth on is streatched rather large, but that occured since I was near the limit.

@Thenoobiebuilder, you think they look bright here, lolz? You should have seen them in the shipbuilder, >_>.

They said, "Life."
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

BSF and the ShipMaker have a built-in screenshot function. For ShipMaker, press F9 and draw a box around the area you want to take a picture of. To retrieve it, go to wherever you keep BSF, and go to SMScreenshots. For BSF, simply press F9 and it will take a picture of the entire screen.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by themastersays »

most of your ships spaz too much gun, other than that, i really love that Hex Battleship. the shape is very interesting. With some work, you can add transformation to it. have it start in a compact walnut like shape and have it open up to it's current form ( maybe add rotation to it too). maybe instead of spaming rail guns, should spam more missiles, those create awesome formations when they are spamed in close a cluster
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Bump for story.

I scare myself here a little with how I could take how I actually came up with all of these ships, and turn it into a story.

They said, "Life."