Preacher's ships, fleets and random designs.

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Re: Noob Alert hi guys built some ships

Post by Da_Dooley »

i definitely like the joyrider. that's a nice ship frame. the alien below it is good, though it look like it could be expaned into someting bigger. the alien "bug ships" are... im gonna leave it at "interesting, but improve them."
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The first ship is getting better. You just need to change the shades of some of the sections, to get the tone right. And you also need to alter some of the sections at the back, it lacks detail

The second ship is still a bit skinny

The third ship looks a bit bland but I like what you did with the glows and I agree that you should try and make a bigger ship using that style

The rest of the ships all look good but they just don't have anything unique about them, like they don't have anything that other people haven't thought of yet
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I think you found your niche.

1st ship:
The largest problem here is the clash of the multitude of angles of the sections. This is more prevalent in the rear blue areas. The shape is good, and the "gap" area between the blue sections has alot of potential. Try changing the gray sprites there so that they're darker, or don't span the whole length of the cap heightwise. The turrets still feel messily slapped on, with the topmost gnr_sw piece being the worst offender. Gunwales and turret housings will come by themselves as you work on the ship :wink: .

2nd ship:
Not quite enough detail on the main fuselage, although that may be my personal preference. The two horizontal points create an odd horizontal line across their tops/bottoms.

3rd ship:
Ahhh. Surely the cream of the crop. Ship flows well with the mecha sprites, and not too cluttered either. The front and rear sidepods are in a good size ratio, and come off at marvelous angles. The light blue glows are a nice touch. My only minor nitpick would be to move the rear outermost sprites slightly back. Otherwise, this is great!

4th ship (base?):
Feels rather thin, with the holes around the center, and that both the outer ring and inner ring are nearly the same thickness. For a moment there, I thought the cannons depthed in the outer ring were sprites :lol: . Otherwise, patch up those holes and try using less of that curved sprite, and it should be good to go.

5th ship:
Feels rather chopped off around the back, and the streched circular pieces clash with the depthing of the rest of the ship. Maroon is far too saturated.

6th ship:
Extreme case of clutter with the rear turret. Otherwise, the body and front isn't too bad.

7th/8th ship:
Sectionwork on the 7th is good, but it seems to me that it can be made to transform into the 8th ship. 8th ship is good as well.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Preacher's ships, fleets and random designs.

Post by Preacher »

Thanks for the comments :) i have improved all the ships up to your specifications and i will post them as part of their respective fleets when the rest are up to standard, in the meantime new ship!! woop woop!
Attachments
SMscreen080.png

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

dude. that is freakin' BEAST. the only thing is is that the engine "exhaust" (am i right in saying it's exhaust? or is it a thruster-like thing?) and the blue on those two prongs seem to clash with the rest of the color scheme.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

the colour system's nice; dark red and khaki go well together. the only things i dislike about this ship is that some of the sections in the different colours are perpendicular to each other which breaks up the coherency of the hull

any chance of a download for your ships?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

I'd say that this is probaly the best ship you've so far. Good job.

You could probaly make the thruster sprites a bit longer though, they're a bit small when being compared to the rest of the ship.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

OK well thanks so much! i guess this is the first ship to receive uniform praise, i have fiddled with the thruster sprites but in reality there are thruster ex modules there but i don't like bsf for taking screen shots it hides some of the ugly,

on the topic of making my ships downloadable, i will when i have organised and beautified all of my fleets (they will be posted as and when they are ready) and i have to check that my sprite packs are properly named or you will have a fleet of question mark ships when you download them :).

i have a few wip's here for you to keep my thread alive while my ships go through some major remodelling

enjoy!
Attachments
the tail will be longer and there won't be so many weapons on it in the future but its part of the bug fleet so it needs to undergo some critical analysis.
the tail will be longer and there won't be so many weapons on it in the future but its part of the bug fleet so it needs to undergo some critical analysis.
a little number from the black and blue fleet that you all liked so much :)
a little number from the black and blue fleet that you all liked so much :)
this is my first experiment with horsemonsters realistic pack i hate it but alot of time went into it so i can't bring myself to put it in the recycling bin
this is my first experiment with horsemonsters realistic pack i hate it but alot of time went into it so i can't bring myself to put it in the recycling bin
i would like to know how to post gifs so that you can see my doodads in action could someone direct me to the appropriate documentation please
i would like to know how to post gifs so that you can see my doodads in action could someone direct me to the appropriate documentation please
SMscreen029.png

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

the "bug" ship doesn't really pique my interest, but it looks good. that "little number," well, I'd pay a dollar for that! the one you made with the realistics is, TBH, pretty ugly, but it looks like it could be improved and expanded. i don't like the one below it, it's... penisbricky... I like what you have done with the last one, the cyan goes a lot better with the "power cores," amirite?
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

With making gifs for animated ships, I know there's a thread for it somewhere. Ask LactoseTolerant about it, I think he made a thread about making animated ships at one point
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Imaillusion wrote:With making gifs for animated ships, I know there's a thread for it somewhere. Ask LactoseTolerant about it, I think he made a thread about making animated ships at one point
Press Shift+F9. Drag the box over the area you want to capture. Click. It'll ask you a bunch of questions about how many screens you want it to capture and if you want frameskipping.

Let it play through the animation a few times 'til its done. The screens will be saved to SMFrames. Load them all into the GIMP as layers, save as a .gif file, chose to save it as an animation.

Bam. Animated gif.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

I just downloaded GIMP and im wetting myself with excitement, thanks for the advice. :)

Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

And I think turning 30fps mode on will make them more regular, or is that just me?
Anyway, I get high-speed camera like gifs when I do it without that.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

preview mode automatically puts it in 30fps, but that doesn't change the speed of the gif seeing as all it is doing is making a series of screenshots; one of each frame (that's how a computer does any sort of animation) the speed is determined by the value of time (in milliseconds) you set for each frame to take in the output window in GIMP
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

Well, then I think I broke Gimp 'cause mine wouldn't go faster if I didn't remove 2/3 of my frames.
Sorry for the offtopic.

Oh and the black and blue ship looks really good.
The last one also has something appealing, but I think it would make an awesome station if you made it 3 point star with the front half of the ship as points.
Now it kinda looks warped by speed.