AD-istic shenanigans

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AD-istic shenanigans

Post by ArcaneDude »

I've somehow managed to crawl my way back into shipbuilding, and this is where I'll post the results of my endeavours. None of these are supposed to be serious, and neither do they allure to reach any kind of standard. This is me, practicing, and hoping for some useful critisism.

So here we go;
ST-10 Laser Frigate
ST-10 Laser Frigate
SMscreen02.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 11056 times
Please tell me what you think.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Re: AD-istic shenanigans

Post by Corporal Jomn »

I like it, to me it needs some sort of coloring besides red doodads. I'd also like to see some more in this style. Glad you're going back to shipbuilding AD.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Excellent use of shiny sections to simulate depth, but it looks incomplete, especially in the front.
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Altahir
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Altahir »

Yeah, i like it, and looks like if u add bird wings on the circles at the sides, the head, and the tail u have a interesting design. :D
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I'm back. And I've got a ship. Even better, I've got two ships!

A ship with no name, my first try after a long hiatus.
The Lindblum. Supposed to be a carrier of some sort, but i haven't quite sorted it out yet. Obviously unarmed. i'm quite happy with the way the custom doo's turned out.
The Lindblum. Supposed to be a carrier of some sort, but i haven't quite sorted it out yet. Obviously unarmed. i'm quite happy with the way the custom doo's turned out.
Tell me what you think!
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The wings on the tail are strange, and I think it would look better without them, but other that that its a nice ship with an unusual design.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

There's something fishy about the first one :-P . Overall, it's very nice, except for a few places where sections seem a bit tacked-on, particularly the semicircle on the very front and the braces with the yellow doodads.

The Lindblum is very nice, though one of the main redeeming qualities is the doodads you mentioned.

With both, there's a problem with the angled sections. When they're rotated they blur a bit, which is something I usually ignore, but the contrast against the sharp, unrotated sections is just too hard to look past here.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Both are interesting, but the first one gives me the impression its going to transform or something.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

@Silverware: which ship do you mean?

@Kiltric: The first (which I am hereby dubbing Harpooneer) could indeed use some work. I'll try to adress the problems you've stated. There's unfortunately not much I can do about the rotated sections, in this case I really need them.

@jwa: I don't really have the patience to make it do that :p

Either way, everyone, thanks for all the comments. I'll do my best to improve them both.

EDIT
This better?
This better?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The first one, sorry about the non-specificity.
The new version is MUCH better, the tail still doesn't fit right, but that seems more an issue of the shading being too dark, and the front nose's shading is also too dark. Either that or the lines of white in the middle make them seem broken.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Oh I wouldn't either, it just has that look like its about to do something nasty. I think its the layered armor... For the rear, would it look weird to have more of those angled sections like are in the middle to either side of the main hull?
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The latest revisions on the Harpooneer, which, with all due respect, I shall be referring to as the Narwhal :-P are great. The rotated sections are far less noticeable with the large chunks on the back as well as the stand-outish sections removed.

I see nothing else to criticize, save for the fact that I agree with jwa that it's begging for some kind of articulation/transformation.

All the best, keep building :-)
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

BAM. Lindblum download. Lemme know if something doesn't work.
Lindblum v.01.zip
(60.17 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
EDIT: missing sprite fix.
This should go in Custom Sprites/AD.
This should go in Custom Sprites/AD.
AD_Doofancy.gif (874 Bytes) Viewed 10571 times
Last edited by ArcaneDude on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Very nice ship, but missing one sprite... Custom sprites\AD\AD_Doofancy.gif
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

And God said: "Let there be cannon."
Hellbound.png