Areze's Shipyard

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Re: Areze's Shipyard

Post by LactoseTolerant »

My biggest problem with this ship is the arms. Attached more like an afterthought, there's very little to no indication of how the arms are actually attached to the main body. The arms are all straight as an arrow, without much intricate designs to offset it's blandness. The two rear arms are clearly clones of each other, and the rear pair creates depthing confusion with the topmost brown piece. It gets quite hard to imagine what this ship would look like in real life. The brown accenting doesn't do much for the aesthetics, rather, it cuts into the little depth shading present in the ship.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

Eh, win some lose some. The thing was a prototype really.

Anyway, I've noticed that in the old way I did up the stats, it took really freaking long for battles to wind down. I also had a moment of fridge logic and asked myself: 'If they can use anti-matter engines, why the fuck aren't they shielding these things?' Even more egregious on my part when one points out that I didn't forget it in the book I'm basing these on. Therefore,I'm taking a slightly different approach.

Meet the Kukha. It is an artillery battleship. The torpedo tubes are the only weapon this thing sports, so getting it in the nitty-gritty is not the best idea (especially as it doesn't have the best shields and armor). However, it excels (perhaps too much so) in what it's built for. It does ridiculous long-range damage for the scale I'm building these on. Three of these bitches are the next best thing to unbeatable. Or it should be, if not for a very odd bug. Specifically, at least against the Kusavihla, it does no damage whatsoever against it's shields. Seriously! It's like they forgot to turn the warheads on or something.
To see if it wasn't just the torp tubes, I had the humble Hestia blow the Kusavihla's shield up (the thing is so sluggish the Hestia captain has to be brain-dead to get caught), and then ordered the Kukha to attack. The Kusavihla got ripped to shreds (leading to me thinking it was OP; the Kusavihla is supposed to be the Numero Uno in terms of armor in the setting; maybe I just need to buff it). This is the only unit that does it, as the same Kusavihla has no issues blowing the Kukha's shields to hell.

*Deep Breath*

Any ideas?

==============================

Also, made a shield-dependent Segetsia. Whee.

==============================

Finally, I made some Terran ships. I need to do some balancing, because at the moment they are fairly underpowered. Maybe the Geisepis are just too strong at the moment.

The Crusader. The Terran answer to the Segetsia. Due to the balancing, they're not much of a match, at least versus the Segetsia Omega (The energy-shield one). But After some tweaking and they ought to be good.

Psiloi use the same hull as the Crusader, but they're artillery ships! Not much more to say. Crappier defense and two pulsars instead of a bunch of blasters. Best kept behind the enemy.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

For the first ship, the dark-black sections really doesn't look really good, it kinda messes with the style of an otherwise decent ship. I like the shape best, it would make more sense if it was a fighter, not an artillery ship

The second ship is a bit boxy, but apart from that the section work is also pretty good, although the shading in some areas is a bit odd

I don't really like the last two ships, the colours clash and are a bit too dark, and it looks kinda flat
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

With the last two, how do the colors clash? It looks fine to me. I do admit they look rather flat. I gotta work on that. Those two actually look better with the glow on, strangely.

The dark black ones, I assume you mean the ones in the middle (which came out darker for some reason)?
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

So I got bored with the game for a while (not its fault; I have attention issues; I also got on a kick of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade), and did my own thing. After a while, I decided to try my hand again.

(It's a thumbnail.)

Here's my WIP. It isn't named, armed, painted. I'm not sure I'm done with the hull yet, but before I continue, is this decent, or bunk? The part between the nose and the core sorta bugs me; it looks cluttered to my eyes. I like to thing I added a decent amount of detail to the back, so it doesn't look as spare as the older ones.

EDIT:

Here's an expanded version. I think I like this one better. Maybe have it be a battleship and the other one a battlecruiser or sorts.
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

Really not sure about this. Not too certain on my ability to make large ships. The back ends, the tips of the 'wings' really look off. Other than that, it came out more 'arrow-head' shaped than I originally intended. To be fair, I was not sure what I was building towards for any of these; just kind of winging it, unlike the others. I like to think I do better that way by just letting it flow than forcing it into some kind of background.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Lovely, a big triangle.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

A big, messy triangle that looks like it was slapped together out of random junk at that. :|
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

A big, messy triangle that looks like it was slapped together out of random junk with no sense of style or cohesion whatsoever. About the only good thing about it is that you shaded it well :?
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Oh goody, is this an add on to the last person's sentence game? :lol: well the other thing is that he appears to have used just about every section in existence...
For real though, beyond the clutter the thing that ruins it for me is the lack of purpose. Maybe if it had some engines and dedicated weapons mounts...Also the center line is really weak, did you just mirror it and then not cover it up?
alive916
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alive916 »

The nearly perfect jumble of section makes me imaginate that there has humans(or lifeforms) live in the detailed position.

Tips: what big battleships need is

1. big main turrets/cannons
2. independent wings
3. engines
4. streamline shape of the main body is the safest choice.

work hard!
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Don't impose what you believe is a battleship on someone else. Heck, someone's idea of a battleship might be a tiny ship with an insanely huge lazor.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
themastersays
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by themastersays »

the looked better than the imperial star destroyer i made. i also see a dark line down the middle of those ships....>_>
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

In this case imposing his ideas of a battleship is actually helpful, especially since its obviously not some tiny ship. The split rear somewhat provides wings though the overall shape could be curved inward more as it widens(SGU:destiny style) rather than a plain triangle. Engines would help. There is a big boring line down the middle that could begin to be broken up with one or more big turrets. None of that begins to fix the cluttered design, but that can always be smoothed later.
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »