Something New

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Something New

Post by Kiltric »

I call it Reaver 3.0

C&C welcome and appreciated.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Interesting shape, the colors need more depthing but it doesn't look totally bad, a few fixes need to be made and some sections switched to my aesthetically pleasing ones, but on the whole a good job.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Core feels a little dangerously exposed (it and the nanomatrix could probably have switched places). That'd probably make for a better rotation pivot too.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Are you talking about that kind of Reaver?

The side arms jut out from the body, it looks somewhat jagged. The middle prongs jut out also. If you're trying to go for that look, change some of the main body sprites, as the mecha curves are not meshing together.

Sorry, but the whole thing feels angular and rigid, and not in a good way. Especially around the area where middle arms come out from :| .
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Bentusi
BANNED
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.

Post by Bentusi »

I agree with others, the core of this ship is very exposed, in my opinion you can do two things:

1) you can rotate vertically and turn it into a kind of defensive ship with a hard face.

and/or

2) you can use the space between the green wings and body of the ship to put a devastating weapons like rocket launchers, 2 boxes of 20, 50 or 100 missiles with a good diversion and sweeping (literally) with the enemy ships ahead , Transforming the craft into a kind of long-distance bomber or something. :wink:
I was banned for bandodging.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Silverware wrote:Interesting shape, the colors need more depthing but it doesn't look totally bad, a few fixes need to be made and some sections switched to my aesthetically pleasing ones, but on the whole a good job.
Could you be more specific about which sections are unpleasing? I've been staring at the thing for so long I can't really see it.
LactoseTolerant wrote:Are you talking about that kind of Reaver?
If you mean Whedon's then yes, that's what I had in mind when I named 1.0, but that was a long time ago. It was my first ship come to think of it... Anyway, the name isn't really an aim in terms of style, it was just a bored teenager thinking of a name.

Thank all, for the comments, I think I'm just going to scrap the majority and rework it into something else, but I will bear in mind what you have said.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

I don't think it requires scrapping--I think it still shows some promise. Although placing the core in the front is dangerous, I think it shows art, and the way the ship is presented (shape-wise) I think it's pretty good.

The coloring/depthing is what needs work the most. That's all. I've constantly been on the lookout for good ship styles (shape-wise), and I think I've found one here: I think it's a shame to see this one go.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Sorry to disappoint you Silver Swordsman, but feel free to take off with the style. You can even have the ship if someone can tell me how/point to to a guide for uploading it to a filehost.

In the mean time, I have reworked the main portion of the ship into the Aziton.

C&C welcome.
Last edited by Kiltric on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Very impressive engine work. This ship looks very nice. It's just those frontal guns that bother me. They just kinda stick out.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

This new once better, the sections flow nicer only thing is the turrets look a little... long.

With the old one you were using two different looks with the sections, some mecha and some generic, they can work but in this case it was more two entirely different styles in one ship, the new one doesn't have this failure.

Basically just shrink the turrets lengthwise and then you just needa work on depthing the colors.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

I know they're long, although the circular base is aesthetic, not functional, so they aren't really turrets. In any case, though they look a bit odd, I've tried some other setups that just didn't work for me. I'll play around a bit more, but I think they may stay as they are.

Silverware, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by depthing the colors. Could you elaborate please?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Shading, its about having lighter colours on top and graduations of that color getting darger as the depth gets lower, it makes the ship seem 3d and makes it stand out more when viewed.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Alito.sb4
Alito.shp
Aziton.sb4
Aziton.shp
New_Reaver_3.0_.sb4
New_Reaver_3.0_.shp

Downloads included. The Alito is the result of me seeing a death glider inside of the Aziton and whipping it up. I'm not posting a pic because it's just the back chopped off.

Enjoy.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

I decided to work on smaller ships. This is the start of what may become a fleet if I find the time. I call it Trosso.

C&C?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hey thats pretty sharp! I really like the section work.