Rugdumph's ships from Anoob to Zeepresent - Download pg3

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Re: Rugdumph's ships from Anoob to Zeepresent - Download pg3

Post by STARSTRUCK »

As others have said, I think you need a better color scheme. You don't need to touch the yellow or add extra colors in my opinion. Just change the blue to a deeper one (see crappy shoop) and the colors will complement each other just fine. And perhaps desaturate it, as Anna suggested.
Attachments
poorlydrawnpony.png
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ok, well thanks to everyone, i've tried to implement as many improvements i agreed with, then tried out the ones i didn't anyway and found that it did make it better so i decided to agree. I may try another colour scheme before settling, e.g. i do like the idea of a nice dark blue, however i thought i'd show what i got to so far.

Better? Too much? What do you think?

Edit: Addressed the yellow bits i forgot to recolour and hoping made the join of ship to engines more substantial.

Now i just need to crack doodading and i'll be there!
Last edited by Rugdumph on Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Delicious pink. That's actually really damn good. The engines still seem a wee bit disconnected but otherwise I believe you're on the right track.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

wow it actually works. could do with some more dark sections to accentuate the depthing and some of the hue variations make it look a bit messy but it still looks good.

the cahnges to the shape are effective as well. the front's much beefier than before and looks a lot better. the engines are nice, i just think that the areas connecting them to the main body of the ship should be bulkier. other than that it's nice
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i really like that very good but the yellow glows need to change colour.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Made some missile launcher sprites of my own that i thought fitted better with the design.

Edit: Tried out another colour scheme, so glad i found the fill command.

Double edit: And when i said i'd expanded the big ship...

This or the trimmed down version? Also thinking of replacing it's engines with the ones off the other ship, since these ones just look naff.

Triple edit: And more colours, i just can't decide...

Paler

With it's supposed "complementary" colour, ok it's not that bad but it looks odd to me

And what appears to be desert camo in space...maybe if i used some of those grungey doodads that are lying about...

Quad edit: If i'm inventing deserts in space why not swamps too?

If i'm honest the only one i'm not keen on is the pale with green, maybe i should just finish one up with doodads already and colour and refine the beast...
Last edited by Rugdumph on Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

With the big ship, some of the TSA sections are turning out to look really flat, like the skinny sections that sweep out from the middle, the ones just in front of those spherical sections. Probaly with a bit of depthing you could cut out "flatness" of some of the sections

As for the different colour schemes, I'd take the last one, the desert camo
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The purple and yellow is my personal favorite.

The big gray ship is just messy in some areas. It's kinda hard to see the details though. Especially at that size when it's completely monotone.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

the purple and yellow is brilliant, although the desert cam is allright to, the big ship needs to be coloured before i can really judge it because its hard to make stuff out when its all the same colour.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Well i have an idea which would mean using several colour schemes, but i'll need a nice backstory etc first. Anyway made a gif of the deserty one, with some grunge and a few doodads, not many, might add a couple of flashing lights but i dunno.

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

This color scheme is monotone and makes your ship feel rather flat. I'd honestly use the purple and yellow but it's ultimately up to you.
Your gif is also really slow or you've set the doodad to a really low speed.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

A few forays into the new shining brilliance...

Broadsiding destroyer thing

Spinal tesla thing

Unfinished with fold out missile bays

Warbird94
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: Somewhere in a spaceship factory in outer rim of this galaxy

Post by Warbird94 »

You are getting better with every ship (well i miss these cool glass like glowing ships a bit but thats harder to build with new sections anyway) The missile ship looks really nice too, espescially the fold out missile bays ^^
Hey what does that button do??? *head explodes*

Battleships Forever RULES