Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

samkiller911
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Star Wreck: new Star Wars download pg 28

Post by samkiller911 »

There's a sprite that I can't get a hold of even using search and downloading all of the previous sprites in the thread. The two are:
Custom sprites\NTI_Weapons\NTI_76mm_gun.png and

Custom sprites\NTI_Weapons\NTI_76mm_flak_twin.png

The original thread no longer has these in it.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Could use a bit of random asymmetry I think and/or more damage. The rust(?) doodads look good, but the one in the centre looks a bit weird covering the two sections. Also, I think you forgot to set blending to additive for the engine flairs. And where are the skeletons? I can't seem to see them.

All that aside, it's quite good, I look forward to some reaver monstrosities.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks all, I'll work on that all that stuff.

@Samkiller911: I'm not familiar with those sprites myself. Are they showing up as missing for my ships?

@badboy: Their on there but very small cuz I gotta clean up the sprite a bit.
Attachments
SMscreen013.png
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

jwa8402 wrote:@Samkiller911: I'm not familiar with those sprites myself. Are they showing up as missing for my ships?
No, they are sprites missing from ArcaneDude's last upload - two ships are missing those sprites from the SW-RepKOTOR v.0.1.rar file.

The Inexpugnable Tactical Command Ship & the Thranta Destroyer have the missing sprites.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

jwa8402 wrote:Thanks all, I'll work on that all that stuff.

@Samkiller911: I'm not familiar with those sprites myself. Are they showing up as missing for my ships?

@badboy: Their on there but very small cuz I gotta clean up the sprite a bit.
Haha cool, a bit of cleanup in sprite and location is needed but they're great.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Whoops, those missing sprites are Arca's NTI weapons. Here you go.
NTI_Weapons.zip
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Its that time again folks. I've done a massive overhaul(well several really) of the balance. I won't go into the details because they barely make sense to me, but a number of things have changed. Que the text wall.

-Several ships have been completely rebuilt, such as the liberator below, while others have been deleted or only have blueprints included. All together there are about 130 usable ships, counting new ones.
-No more point defense. Well the ships without torpedoes still have it.
-mixed weaponry. A variety of weapon effects to most ships, ie energy/kinetic, fast tracking/heavy. Also changed up the actual weapons so they don't all make the same noise.
-Dramatically altered the hp. Ships like the Galactica no longer have energy shields, just raw armor. Ships from Star Trek generally have shields. The difference here is that I had to lower the shielded ships hull hp significantly so once the shields are down they don't last long. The shield sprites have massive hp though and heal given a chance.
-Fighters work quite well in general. They launch, they dogfight, they don't spew fire like a chain gun. The biggest problem is that capitol ships tend to focus all their fire on a tiny thing they can't hit, which means if one ship doesn't have fighters, they usually die. Fix that min/max targeting and all will be well.
-these are not deliberately balanced to stock ships or AD's Halo fleet, but are passably close to both to have good battles. Doogie12's Scimitar is included and balanced with his permission.
-Several ships have super weapons, a lot don't. They fire briefly but hard, enough to take out a section on a cruiser or entirely destroy a small ship.
-In direct control mode space bar will trigger super weapons on the ships that have it, and will fire guns on the fighters.
-This version replaces any previous one and is not compatible, but save Arcanedude's Halo fleet because I did not include it in this download.
-I do occasionally get a few errors I can't explain, but nothing game crashing. let me know if any sprites are missing.

A few notes on odd ships
-The Ancients from Stargate now have drones. Said drones work quite well but also blow shit up really easily. But their the freaken ancients so its probably alright.
-The Defiant and Liberator both have their expected weapon count mashed into a few high power weapons. In the Defiants case the whole ship is wanktastic, but had to be able to make it go up against bigger ships. Try flying it around in dc mode mashing space bar.
-The Excalibur from B5. It has a superlaser, and it actually does the whole deathstar thing quite well. When its horizontal, not moving, and a virgin is sacrificed. I had a better beam sprite on it and all the other super beam ships but Melvin made his sprites too long so they skip the outer armor/shield and take out the core.
-Some ships are just more powerful. Even with the same hp, same weapon count, etc, some ships are just tougher or have better firing arcs. I think this actually makes it more realistic.

I could go on but the details are boring. I've been easily running matches with up to ten ships on each size with very few lag problems, so spawn your favorite match-up and let me know what happens!
Attachments
Star Wreck v3 sprites.zip
(3.73 MiB) Downloaded 437 times
Star Wreck v3.zip
(620.77 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
An example of a complete rebuild of the liberator.
An example of a complete rebuild of the liberator.
SMscreen014.png (8.99 KiB) Viewed 13284 times
Last edited by jwa8402 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cubby989
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by cubby989 »

The keyship is missing a sprite :)
"spr_GrungeTeamStripe.gif"
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Here you go.
spr_GrungeTeamStripe.gif
spr_GrungeTeamStripe.gif (1.2 KiB) Viewed 13195 times
Also:
Interdictor 1.png
The Interdictor-class Cruiser was the main warship of Revan's Sith Empire. Originally designed for the Republic, Revan stole many of these ships and had more produced by his Star Forge shipyard. The Interdictor is armed with powerful dual turbolasers, but it's most prominent feature are the four Gravity Well Projectors, that can stop a ship from entering hyperspace, or pull one out of it.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, not half bad considering from the few pictures of it I can find, it looks like a tricky ship to do from the top.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i think the armour on this ship definately needs work, it just doesn't look flat enough. to make it work, i think you need to keep that line from the back going all the way to the front (the line on kae_shn189) so i think layering kae_shn188 would look better. perhaps add some smaller section such as 171 in to break up the boundaries and reduce the look of repetition
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

K, kinda lied about the 'this is the only battlestar I'll do' thing. But only in the pursuit of moar guns, I swear. Still fooling with it, especially the front part.
Anyone had a chance to try out the new balance? I've found a few minor things to fix but I wanna make sure the ships are working.
Attachments
SMscreen018.png
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Star Wreck: new download pg 29

Post by jwa8402 »

Ya I know the mercury is ugly...Well it was worth a try. Anyway another of several serious ship redesigns, this is the Constitution class mk lV. Expanded universe backstory below.
Spoiler!
As I understand it a post dominion war era refit of the original class. Though to be fair it was built from scratch with completely state of the art systems, but the idea was to use a existing, cheap, and well proven design to quickly re expand the federation's territory. Like the original, the mk IV will be sent on solo five year missions of exploration. After seeing the success of the Lakota, an Excelsior class modified to a point where it nearly destroyed the Defiant, this ship is equipped with quantum torpedoes and modulating phasers. The hull has been scaled up by nearly two thirds.

The prototype, the "James Kelley", was gifted to the honorary Admiral James T Kirk in recognition of his role in defeating the Romulan/borg alliance. Following the death of his wife and the ascension of his son, he sailed for parts unknown with the handful of loyal crewmembers still living.
Attachments
SMscreen021.png
SMscreen021.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

it looks good, and i like how you've used the glows at the front to look like lighting. there's not really much else to comment upon, but keep up the good work!
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Heh, I just found good orthos sheets for the GSB ships. The Federation are hard to build though, not really my style. Anyway, here is my first attempt at the Eagle battleship. Still adding glows and ribbing, and not terribly happy with the understructure. Ignore the weapons as they are just statholders. Yes, no, send it to the junkyard?

Anyone know any free recording programs I could do game video with?
Attachments
SMscreen022.png