Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Nah, it makes perfect sense. As I said, I've been tending to zoom in rather close, and up close it looks pretty awesome but I forget the larger look. So basically remove most of the armor I added(what about the wing section?), and simplify the nose area where I added most of the stuff?

I removed some of the stuff, should I simplify it even more? Didn't want to go too far the other direction.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

That's much better. I'm quite diggin' it.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok keep in mind I'm not really too happy with this one. Also this is my first attempted use of this new pack of sprites so some of them were just too cool not to tack on. I know its penis bricky, I know parts of it don't quite flow. Kinda wanted a B5 warlock feel without being that.

Started it as a design by a crackhead gangbanger from Brooklyn who somehow convinced the government that garishly positioned massive weaponry would intimidate any enemy. Not quite sure where I'm going with it but much of it feels like I tried to build a regular ship then make it asymmetrical, which I hate. Only solution I can figure is to make most of the stuff thats sticking out be hidden*street legal*, then pop out.

One thing I'm gonna try is having some of the attached weapon mounts rotate to aim. The big gun on the rear left would do this.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

(Face turns green)

The less obvious problem I see is the depthing. The front is good, but it starts losing it the further you go back.

Good luck with that...
Lurk more
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ah ok, I can fix the depthing. I don't get the green thing, is it that bad and if so what about it doesn't look good to you?

*edit* Ok, tried to scale back the junk, and changed the shading. It will have more color eventually but no point till the structure is final. Left the boarding lock and cannons.

Is it the striped section, the dstsw115 section, thats ruining it?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Green for Jealousy... =P

The revamped version looks cool, a few sections out of place, on the front right and rear left, other than that it looks good.
Could do with a command module sitting off one side, for asymmetry reasons.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

It was sickness, but I got better, and so did the ship.

What does the bulge on the bottom do?
Lurk more
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Was originally going to be pumping hazardous waste of the ship out, but I think I want it to be a docking collar for boarding other ships. The waste would make for a cooler effect though. I'll play around with making it more assymetrical while improving the flow...

Just threw this together in a few minutes cuz I couldn't resist playing with the new pack. Their just that awesome! Though I either need to add color or use some outlining to improve the shading.

I think they will look better when combined with other packs, cuz as it is they all have great lines but put together look a bit cluttered.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

You've got a great style going there, looks like M.C. Escher drew it up.

Something could go in between the four prongs at the back/center, like a heavy turret or the beginning of the engine.
Lurk more
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Very spiffy, very good section usage. Adding to Unsung's comments, if you lengthened the nose like a barrel, you could always add a gauss cannon there or a beamer, just a thought. Certainly a lot better than my new-pack section'ed stuff.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks for the comments guys, I will try that!

Still WIP: I tried to make something a bit larger, using sections I don't normally. Not sure if its a success but I kinda like the shape. Just need to go back and shade it properly(I did but then changed a bunch), replace a few sections, and pretty it up. Especially the engines and such. Well, tell me what you think.

The side cannons are pivot mounted so during battle the wing and engine underneath would be more obvious.
Thanks to Bovine for the background, its awesomeness!

*edit* fixed a few things for engines.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

The ship looks great.
Two things bug me though.
The two cannon thingys are the only right angles on the exterior of the ship.
And the engine exhaust is off center</nitpick>
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Haven't had much time to work on this cuz my computer is infected with the retarded Antivirus pro thing, but I moved a few things around. What do you think? The side cannons are just placeholders, and I haven't really shaded it properly or colored at all.The strip at the back with doodads is meant to be a runway. Do I need to find something else to use for that?

I had it all streamlined, then when I changed things around it was too chunky so I cut back, but now its rather blocky, ya? I need to do something interesting with the sides of the forward hull. I may get rid of the antennas and move everything in front of that back to where the wings start, and/or take off the outer most pieces on the sides of the nose.

*edit* Emergency alteration. Which version works better?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I gotta say, ever since you stopped trying to do ships with your own custom sections and switched to SW style, not only your ships look better but you're also visibly improving. Keep at it.

Theyre rather generic and bricky though, you know? You should try spicing it up a little.

As for the last ship, i preferred previous version, was less... bricky. It also needs more shading, and the square area behind engine exhausts looks rather flat. I don't think the way you did the runaway works - wouldnt know its a runaway if you didnt point it out.

jwa8402 wrote:my computer is infected with the retarded Antivirus pro thing, but I moved a few things around.
I recommend Comodo and/or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Veronw
Commander
Commander

Post by Veronw »

I also personally prefer the previous variant of this ship. Probably because it combines curves with angles, which I love. If I was to suggest something on it, I would say.. well, add some colors, and maybe just change the next part, either add some more details, or make it less angular. Middle segment also needs a little something, maybe its just because of the pylon thingies coming out of the wings towards that mid.. er.. section..

If I'm not being too terribly clear on this, just say so..