Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: Star Wreck: new download pg 29

Post by vidboi »

the central hull looks pretty good sectionwise, the problem is the wings and the nacelles have a slightly different style which make them look odd, i think the outline needs breaking up a little with some more grey. the colours aren't greater either, they're very dark
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Altahir
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Altahir »

OMG i really like that Federation Cruiser, cery impresive :D
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

jwa8402 wrote:Anyone know any free recording programs I could do game video with?
FRAPS seems to work fine with BSF. The newer free versions seem to have a 30 second limit on video, which sucks. :(
Altahir
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Altahir »

If you want to make a video with some battle music, with just 3 or 4 clips of 20-30 seconds is enough
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@Vidboi: hadn't spotted the style differance, thanks. I'll fool with the colors for sure.
@M123 and Altahir: Ah ok, good to know. Ya that otta be enough. Just wanna show the dogfights and stuff cuz they tend to lag big battles but 3on3 fighters look awesome. Note for those 19 wonderful people actually playing with these, among the several fixes I'll be patching soon, my new version will limit the fighters because right now if the fights drag on too long it really lags down the game.

This one has been on my to-do list for awhile. Its really weird looking and I'm still not happy with the section work, especially the wing tips and those two slanted pieces in front, but I wanted to pound out the shape. The Sona battleship from ST Insurrection. Thinking of a steely blue-grey for this if I can find the right shade.
Attachments
SMscreen023.png
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Tried to get a good shade. Went back and watched the movie but its very hard to see what color they even are, damn nebula...

Also found a better more visible shade for the Eagle cruiser, but still trying to get the nacelles to match the rest of the style.
Attachments
SMscreen025.png
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Picard class cruiser, still wip. Her unique weapon will be starburst torpedoes. Not too happy with it because its not nearly as sleek as the design is meant to be.
Attachments
SMscreen029.png
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

imo, it's the round head. The pieces used makes it look very roughly cut, not waxed and smoothed. I guess that would go for the rest of the ship--the ship pieces used needs to have high color contrasts between light and dark in order to get that "shiny" look.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I don't think thats it. It needs less contrast between the dish and the struts connecting it. That way (I actually have never seen this ship before) It looks more like a flat piece.
naysayers will be shot
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

allow me, Doogie12, but I don't think that ships in BSF are meant to be "flat" pieces. There are supposed to be variations in depth, and in my opinion, those variations didn't translate into a "smooth, waxed" feel.

Solare:
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I didn't say no contrast, I said less. In my experience less contrast always comes out with a "smoother" feel.

...but do whatever works best!
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

It could be a combination of both because I agree less contrast would be good, I just didn't want the struts on top to blend in too much. On the other hand, all those saucer sections are custom variations that I fooled with to get them to work so some fine tuning may be required. A few of them are slightly shrunk as well to give the oval shape which would make them look out of focus.

I remade the Andromeda just to see what it would look like with shiny, and I think its an improvement. Keep in mind those are not the final sections, just was trying to get the shape smoother.
SMscreen031.png
Also my first rough attempt at a UGTO Elite Assault Dreadnought. I think I'll go back and study AD's section work on the Halo ships to get the curves I want.
SMscreen032.png
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

The UGTO dreadnought's neck is a bit too dark in my opinion, kinda decapitates the head aesthetically. Just my opinion.

Solare:
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Made a few tweaks, is that any better?
SMscreen036.png
Also, new ship from Andromeda. Its either really bad or really good when the best reference shots I can find end up being from Anna's Andromeda fleet. Matter of fact, for several series some of the only good shots I've been able to find are from builders of this forum. Homeworld and freespace among them.
SMscreen037.png
SMscreen037.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

woo happy birthday to me :? Wanted to release the next version but rl is catching up with me so I just made a bigger ship to blow stuff up with for laughs.
Good ol magog!
Good ol magog!
Shit getting crazy. I had almost thirty capital ships playing at this point.
Shit getting crazy. I had almost thirty capital ships playing at this point.
Attachments
Fooling with vidboi's sections for a potential tournament ship.
Fooling with vidboi's sections for a potential tournament ship.