Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Kiltric wrote:I'd say put it in the trophy case and start another.
Agreed, and done.
Celestial Hierarchy Imperial Dreadnought mk I <--Updated download 12/26/09 to fix missing sprites
Got it down to 182 sections. Uses Ion/fusion hybrid(gotta look close when its moving!) for propulsion. I kept weapon stats to metagame levels for balancing. 78 weapons, but it almost meets its threat of 400 except for an extra super beam. Theres lots more things I could do to improve it but getting sick of staring at it. I'm pretty happy with it, but please try it and let me know if anything doesn't work or needs fixing!

List of fixes to be made in next release:
*poorly parented engines
*Heavy beam deviation-either I entered it wrong or the specs I copied are badly thought out, but the beams never hit what their aiming at.
*maneuvering thruster size settings are not standardized.
Last edited by jwa8402 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

You've really put some thought into this. It looks very functional. I just don't like the engines. They look kinda flat.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm, I don't disagree with you but not sure what would improve them. Thats why I did the dark backdrop, to give them a sense of shape and height. Aside from messing with glows or shading, any suggestions for tricks or replacement sections to improve them? I've been thinking of trying to incorporate dannys fuel rods in there someplace but don't know where they would fit. I know, I know, thats what she said.

And anyone try it out?
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

This will be difficult but the lines on the engines, don't make them parallel. It may help, I think.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well, I tried it out but it's not working, you're missing some sprites in your download (and have some random empty folders), and I think you may have to resave it, I'm getting some sort of doodad error that's breaking the game.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Damn, ok thank you for letting me know. I'll try it on another computer so I can figure out which sprites and such. Don't understand why folders would show up empty, since I used the export function. I know it doesn't like sub folders though.

Got a mini project I started fooling around with today. Always thought of the stock ships as military that had been geared towards dealing with pirates, hence some of the designs being rather flimsy, not to mention colorful. So I wondered what a wartime ship would look like and first and foremost camo or at least stealth came to mind. Thought of using Eri's grunge pack as camo but it obviously doesn't look right in space.

Hope its not too dark. Those markings on the main turret are unit insignia and stars for kill counts.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

ooo. Hestia. Sorry but it is a bit dark.
The weapons(?) on the side of the wings look a bit misplaced. I'm not sure I like how the back rounds off but the engine glows are a good idea and look cool.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

wait.... is the main turret just the core?
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

wait.... is the main turret just the core?
No, he went under the "stock misc" folder and ran the core section in there through the SWizator, otherwise there is no way to make a SW core
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

25000st wrote:ooo. Hestia. Sorry but it is a bit dark.
The weapons(?) on the side of the wings look a bit misplaced. I'm not sure I like how the back rounds off but the engine glows are a good idea and look cool.
Do you mean the missiles or twin turret?

I'll see what I can do about it being dark but whats interesting is that I just took stock sections and made the white lines black; didn't change the main color but I guess we're spoiled now with how light swa is. As for the rounding off, I could knock off the stock 4s...
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

oh. Thats what I.. uh.. meant.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Why don't you use the actual converted TSA-style stock sprites made by Verm? (or even just the new kae_gnr sections?)

How dark it is makes it look...bad.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

well it does look kinda stealthy because it's dark, but dark grey sw sections would work better.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

The issue is more of that it still looks really...flat.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Stealth doesn't really work in space anyway because of all the heat your ship will be emitting, compared to the background temperature of space - which isn't freezing, but certainly low enough to make ships stand out. Any designer worth their salt is going to use thermal sensors.

I agree with Droid though, it looks horribly flat using inverted stock sections.