Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Random acts of violence with shipmaker

Post by jwa8402 »

Glad you like the hestia. I did a alien transformation version of it but it was pretty awful :lol:
I made some changes, took your drawing a bit literally perhaps but wanted to see where I could go with it. Not sure I like it but its easier to remove stuff. The side missiles will either be cooler looking warheads or guns. Ignore the doodads because every time I open shipmaker they revert to the new circle thingy thats on the core now. For color so far I just used some cutouts on existing sections. Probably gonna give up using those horsemonster engines as well cuz I just don't use them the way they were intended.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

That actually looks pretty nice. The cutout bits used to add colour work especially well, I think. It still looks sorta unfinished, but I'm guessing that would be because it is unfinished. Not bad at all.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

A mech. This is how bored I am. Fully geared and articulated, just fine tuning the drivers. TThe wings will rotate into attack position. Need some advice on proportions. I built the arms then the body but now the body feels too thick and the arms too long...Any help?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Holy Shit. :shock:

That's actually pretty damn nice compared to your usual offerings. I agree that the arms are kind of too long and the body looks a bit too wide and the proportions generally feel somewhat off, but still goddamn, this is one of the few times I can recall seeing you make an external shape that looks good and have internal details which make sense and fit together well. It's really pretty god damn nice, and I'll like to see you refine elements of it.

I don't really love the arms at all, 'cause the section use and shading and depth seems fairly inconsistent, but the torso part actually look... yeah, pretty damn nice.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I don't necessarily think the problem is with the arms (however the "hands" are for some reason just as long as the "forearms"), but rather the wings. I'm pretty sure it would look better if you made them bigger.
Otherwise its great.

Edit* oh and you might want to remove the sections that make the straight, diagonal, line on the front of the torso.
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok made some significant changes to the torso, head, and upper arms, trying to get the dimensions right. Haven't touched the forarms and claws, which may be redone entirely since they seem unwieldy still. That said, I still have the older version so perfectly willing to go back to that if I screwed up this one too much.
I hear ya on the wings, but right now they are limited by the size of danny's section. I hesitate to make them more complex in order to make them larger. Also looking into some better 'feathers'
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Hmm... The previous upper-arms look better to me. Probably because of the contrast between the simple cylinder appearance of the new upper arm and the more complicated forarm. But then maybe that'll change if you rework the forarms.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well, I am conflicted because the forearms were my favorite part of the original design but then it became something else. They will probably be done in the style of the upper arms, but I had also thought of making the upper arm panels somewhat transparent to show moving servos and such...Not sure how well that would work or look. Or I may just add details such as vents and battle exposed circuitry where those panels are.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This is my way of telling Horsemonster he needs to make more sprites :lol:
Cheesy ripoff of Anna's recent style, still in wip :?
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Please please please recolour that space station because then it would be awesome!!!! Seriously the section usage is faultless for me, and I agree moar horsemonster sprites.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The first reminds me of Danny. Speaking of which I wonder if he's still banned.
Anyway, the long repeat of sections down the middle is kinda unattractive.

The space station just looks unfinished and boring right now.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well being that it unfinished, and only an afternoon's work at that, I'm not surprised it looks that way to you :| Perhaps its the symmetry that keeps it from achieving greatness though, and don't worry, it was never intended to be this plain. I just needed the basic structure to work off of.

Your absolutely right about the repetition down the middle; I was totally unhappy with that but couldn't figure out how to do it better at the time. Is this better? Yes, the spinal hanger doors open
Geez, some HM style triangle pieces would be really useful for getting those sharp angles and blending overlapping sections. I'm still not happy with the nose.
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Image
I can't express how much this makes me want to slap you. This is a horrible, horrible abuse of those HM sections that I'm not sure I can forgive. I mean... on a ship that big... and you make it entirely out of flat, bland tubes? What in god's name are you thinking, man? Zoomed out it's not so bad, but at the default zoom it's just so dull and ugly and blech.
jwa8402 wrote:Image
This is nice, however. Really nice, in fact. Probably more deserving of the name "The Hive" than my station was, though I never intended mine to actually look like a Hive. It looks quite cool and it needs to be coloured and completed. So sayeth me.

But seriously, use more DST sprites or something. HM sprites alone are great for... well, small satellites and space stations and those sorts of things. And perhaps realistic, modern-ish spacecraft. For other stuff, especially larger stuff, they are way too bland to be used alone, and the constant tiling on that first ship just... makes me ill.

Ugh.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

well that was sort of the idea. I'd love to see some non-tubular pieces that are compatible with what hes already made. Would be nice for that evolution from ISS wannabe to realistic spaceship. Sorry to upset your lunch though :lol:

Glad you like the station. Still prefer the realistic assymetry of yours. Anyway, threw some color on it but that may change based on its expansion. Would love to make it much larger but stuck on module ideas since I don't want to keep repeating the same groups of sections.
Jokarun
Commander
Commander

Post by Jokarun »

You seem to have forgotten one chaingun on the lower left bunker...

Other than that, I really like this station, its probably one of the best space stations I've seen on these forums...
I don't know about you; But I generally don't store games in RAM.
~~Take a cookie~~
J.