DSTech Corp - Shipyard <Updated 9/16/09>

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: DSTech Corp - Shipyard <Updated 9/16/09>

Post by Anna »

Some more nuanced shading couldn't hurt either. I get that it's supposed to be angular rather than curved, but still, the shading could be... better.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

Finally figured out what to do with the missile rack. Just need to get that radar disk, as well as spriting some guns and missiles. The SW Converter definitely didn't cut it for me :|

[EDIT:]
Actual assembly of the ship is gonna take a while.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

DSMK2 wrote:Finally figured out what to do with the missile rack. Just need to get that radar disk, as well as spriting some guns and missiles. The SW Converter definitely didn't cut it for me :|
Kaelis'? 'tis far from the best way, aye.

I like the results though. It looks a little... unfinished and perhaps a tad flimsy at the back - I think those straight lines need breaking up a tad more, and some more obvious engine components - but otherwise sound.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

The main thrusters are overtaken by the missile rack, was one of my qualms when I was comparing it to the first incarnation, though that version's missile rack had a "cutaway" that revealed the main thrusters. This version was sorta impromptu, I ended up using a more slimmer "tail" style (for the current missile rack) since I really couldn't find a way to fit in the old style.
LongcatX
Commander
Commander
Location: behind you, oh wait, im behind you again ...watching you...

Re:

Post by LongcatX »

Silverware wrote:I like these ships, they are simple, plain, and look like they mean business. Wonderfully militaristic.

The only real qualm is on the Super Destroyer the Main Turret circle is rather blurred, probably just from it rotating or something, but it still detracts from the rest of the ship.
thats exactly what i was thinking , anyways its really nice to see some less "shiney" ships again oh, and nice sprites . any chance i could get them :D
EDIT: had not looked at second page yet >.<
i am 93.6665% pure randomness.
guilee186
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by guilee186 »

I like the improvement. It's a lot prettier in my opinion.

On the other hand, you still need more colour variation, so... yeah.
Congratulations. You're a textbook definition of a troll. -Danny
~Armored Core is to Cosmicbreak like Starcraft II is to World of Warcraft.~
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

guilee186 wrote:I like the improvement. It's a lot prettier in my opinion.

On the other hand, you still need more colour variation, so... yeah.
Weak spot for me, what do you mean by color (colour? British spellings...) variation?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

by colour (color? American spellings...) variation i'd say two things:
a. you should depth shade the sections, right now the whole ship looks too flat
b. you could add some more definite bacds of colour. perhaps some bands of the blue or orange, but personally i feel you've got enough (although i built almost totally grey ships so i don't have much say in the matter)

two changes i'd make to the spritework:
1. on the very angular corners i'd soften them slightly my deleting a single pixel right at the point. this just helps the overall consistency and is kinder on the eyes
2. i would make those wing-like sections in the middle symmetrically slanted. the perpendicular edge is just a little too harsh for my liking, and it kind of counteracts the flow of the sections around it
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

Am I allowed to be lazy and "shade" the parts in the ship maker instead? As well, with the side gun arms... It'll come together once the railgun parts get sprited.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

well that's what i would do :lol: and weapons i find can be the most difficult to sprite
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
DSMK2
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by DSMK2 »

Not too hard once you get a idea of what kind of weapon you're sticking on your ship! Spriting...

Dual Enhanced Railguns with Weapons Coolant Module! It's planned to be a 4-5 part section!
Enhanced Particle Cannon! 2 part section!
Dual Heavy Enhanced Particle Cannon, 3-4 part section!
Repeating Particle Cannons! 1 part section!
Nanomatrix! 1 part section!

The laser arrays are already "part" of the prongs, they're supposed to be covered, I've only shown the mock-up. One of my issues with merely changing the weapon sprites, the rotation is not centered at all.