HorseMonster Spaceships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Updated Version. As you can see it is currently a bit wonky at one end, once I sort that out I think I'll start work on its UDSL partner.

I know they look very fragile, but I don't think that is a bad thing.

Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Nice additions there, looking good. And I didn't mean fragile as a bad thing, one of my fleets look rather spindly, so no worries. Appearances can be deceptive.

I'm liking the support work at the front there, looking more robust.
Last edited by Dragontear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Very cool Horsemonster.
Your ships are awesomely unique, and are well designed. I love the use of antenna you have on the front and the combination of the engines there is really well done.
I love how the tech slowly evolves with your fleets. Not by much, but its a constant evolution. I really can't wait for your nations to get Super-Futuristic on us.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Let's try not to get super futuristic just yet shall we?

Hey have you considered trying to make a broadisder with this style?
That would make a lot of bang.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I like it. I can't wait for the story behind it.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

So that you know, technology isn't actually advancing in each subsequent spacecraft, it is just that existing (within the setting) technologies are being applied in the context of space warfare and on an ever larger scale. The most recent ship I posted is an example of that, it doesn't include any "new" technologies, it is not equiped with any type of technology that is not already represented on another craft, it is just bigger.

The best example would probably be the huge laser that it is armed with, it is the exact same piece of equipment fitted to existing AANC laser armed spacecraft except much larger.

However this is not to say that there aren't any craft that have new and innovative features that others are lacking it is just that the body of scientific knowledge and practical knowhow is more or less the same throughout.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Ah so the people who build these ships are in a state of stagnation for scientific advances, all they can do is build bigger, but not better.
Okay cool. =P
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Just because there's a relative lack of advancement in the military application of science it doesn't mean that overall there is stagnation in science overall. There's just not a massive cold war style arms race going on.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

So, for the sake of argument I decided that I'd have a go at making ships out of something other than purpose built sections. And I have to say that the results were moderately disapointing and that I certainly won't be quitting my day job. Here are my results for those who are interested.

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

first is rather interesting.
2nd... is really missing what makes the first one good. The outlining is overdone, and the black feels a bit too black, you lose a lot of the detailing, although that could be the contrast of the grid lines with the ship itself. The front is also just overdone in general. Not really sure how to describe it, but it just doesn't work. If you wanted to keep working on these, look to the first one for good ideas. It's definitely not perfect, but it's rather good.
Oh, and the pure white doesn't really look good. I'd have the lightest you go be the grey under that [on the 1st ship]

of course, I could be wrong.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

You didnt even use SW sections, so you can't really compare these two to your 'usual' creations.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Interplanetary Superiority

Despite that almost every armed spacecraft not designed exclusively to function in an orbital environment will, at some point, find itself traversing interplanetary space battles in the vast expanses of empty space that exist between planets or between planets and artificial habitats or other objects of interest are incredibly rare. By and large this absence of combat is due to a combination of two points:

1. There is very rarely anything of value or of strategic importance located in interplanetary space.

2. The vast distances involved in interplanetary travel means that it is generally unlikely for any two parties to encounter eachother, even if one party is making a concerted effort to intercept the other.

Traditionally this has meant that attempting to achieve control over any region of interplanetary space was both extremely difficult and not particularly useful. However, as the level of industrialisation in space increases so does the number of valuable items and locations in interplanetary space which in turn infers some tactical or even strategic value to some regions of interplanetary space or at least to the ability to restrict or prevent transit though said regions. Craft designed to be capable of preventing hostile craft from traversing regions of interplanetary or to intercept craft or even fleets of craft in transit are referred to as Interplanetary Superiority craft.

Indefatigable-Type Interplanetary Superiority Cruiser

The AANC's solution to the problem of controling large regions of empty space is the Indefatigable type; the largest class of armed spaceship ever constructed by the AANC at its time of introduction. The Indefatigable type is a huge ship designed to be able to operate unsupported in regions of relatively empty space surrounding some object of strategic or tactical significance and to be able to detect and intercept threats regardless of the nature of the threat with its array of powerful sensors and long ranged weaponry.The armamment of the Indefatigable type consists of two "light" nuclear munitions launchers, two large banks of guided missile tubes, two 45mm repeating guns and a single ultra-high energy laser cannon. Despite the incredible destructive power of the Indefatigable type the cost to produce one means that the value of each ship is immense, this, coupled with the inherent difficulties of actually achieving superiority over a region of interplanetary space means that rather than being used in its intended role where it might be only of marginal usefulness and where it would certainly be quite vulnerable to a directed attack or unexpected accident, it is more commonly used either as a portable battlestation or as a wrecking ball to defeat an actual battlestations as part of a larger fleet.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I like the overall look, but I think there should be more solar panels on the ship.
Any chance of getting a version with a huge rail gun that spans the length of the ship along the centerline?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

With regards to radiators (they are radiators, not solar panels) I did think that myself, but I failed to come to a conclusion as to where and how to place radiators so that there would be more, but also not look stupid.

I'm not really sure what the point of a ship with just a huge railgun would be though.
Masluk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Masluk »

Planetary bombardment?

By the way, the looks of the engine section is awesome. THe depthing really give the feel of 4 engines.