A NOTE REGARDING THESE FORUMS

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

A NOTE REGARDING THESE FORUMS

Post by Anna »

Here's a very important piece of information, which it seems many people, some newbies in particular, have failed to realise. By posting ships in a thread of their own, you are asking for feedback. This feedback is not required to be mindless, meaningless, vapid praise. If your ship is bad, people will tell you it's bad. If it is flawed in some manner, people can and will tell you as much. If your ship has bad parenting, for example, and you post a picture of the bad parenting, it's pretty damn stupid of you to get pissed off when people say "your parenting is bad".

If you don't want criticism on your ships, and feel they're perfect as they are, that no-one elses opinion matters, and that any flaws in your design should be ignored, you're an arrogant dick, and you're free to post your ships in the Custom Ships Gallery, where no one will tell you that it sucks.

This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by you helpful Moderator, Anna. Feel free to leave a donation. :lol:
Last edited by Anna on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

Sorry, I've already sold my soul to the devil.

Thank god this is here. Sticky for a week plz
Anna

Post by Anna »

No, I will not be stickying this thread, since it seems that the people who do this also are usually the same people who ignore any thread that's stickied.

Also, I'd like to thank Siber for suggesting making this topic. I didn't think it was necessary at first, but now I realise that yes, it really is.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

Oh, I forgot that.

Out of interest, Do you watch doctor who?
Anna

Post by Anna »

That's not really on topic, but yes, I do. :lol: That's where my sig came from. I would make a good Dalek.
Quality Control Enforcer
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

I knew it.

I hope somebody new takes notice, I usually read everything when I join a forum.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

doubt that people who ignore stickies aren't going to ignore this too (wow, that was well phrased...) but, frankly, it needed to be said. As much as i love reading the 2 page long "(moderator)your ships suck, (creator) you suck,(moderator) you're banned" posts, it would be nice if it stopped... there's more than enough already.

Anyhoo, good luck containing it, and if you're going to cry about criticism, keep you're ships to yourself. Hell, if you're going to get mad over people helping you they probably suck anyways.
edit: how much trouble would i get in if i inserted a blatant plug for myself here? :)
SWEET!!! in that case:
[blatantplug]
Would you like to experience the joy of having a thread creator who listens to your comments? do you want the experience of watching a noob develop new and exciting ship creating talents? if so, come to the "WIP's, all C&C welcome" thread, hosted by me, your new best friend, Lightstriker. It's only a few clicks away!!! Located inside of Custom Ships, just below the General Discussion off of Wyrdysm Games ave.
[/blatantplug]

...suddenly i have a strong urge to hurt myself...
Last edited by lightstriker on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anna

Post by Anna »

"(moderator)your ships suck, (creator) you suck,(moderator) you're banned"

To be fair, Gix was only banned for the admission of trolling and the (rather pathetic) threat to get others to join in the trolling. If I banned everyone who said anything mean about me, half the forums would go down in flames. :lol: I'm fine with people calling me names, since it's usually fairly amusing.
Anyhoo, good luck containing it, and if you're going to cry about criticism, keep you're ships to yourself. Hell, if you're going to get mad over people helping you they probably suck anyways.
Truer words are harder to come by.
edit: how much trouble would i get in if i inserted a blatant plug for myself here? :)
Plug away. I don't mind. :lol:

Edit: I really need to stop clicking "edit" instead of quote. I keep doing it on accident. -.- Oh well, at least I fix the posts afterwards.
Quality Control Enforcer
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Something I'd like to add: Criticism can point out ways to fix something, but it doesn't have to. You can declare that you don't like a ship because a feature without knowing how to fix it. If someone can walk you through how to make your ship better, great, but not everyone is going to hold your hand and show you the way, some are just going to point out where you stepped off the path, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Also something people seem to miss;

Critisizers may and will use colourful words. This is never intented to be personal. It will only become personal if you see it that way.

Get that into your fucking thick skulls, idiots! :wink:
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

awww...
And remember, Anna doesn't hate you...
yet.
In order to avoid the aforementioned possibility, we, the members of pfndh (people for not dying horribly) strongly recomend:
1. Taking advice that is given to you
2. Recognising when people have more experience than you (and, on a related note, realising that even people who don't have much experience can tell when a ship is good or not )
and 3. Realising that people sometimes misphrase things. if they apologise and correct themselves, just let it die (there's some example of of that that happened recently, does anyone know where?)

of course, what do i know?
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

of course, what do i know?
Too much.

We must Get rid of you!
Anna

Post by Anna »

Bumping this again.
Quality Control Enforcer
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

People need to learn the difference between thoughtful criticism and unnecessarily vulgar bitching.
[i]...can we hold on...?[/i]
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

My only complaint about comments has been when I don't feel their really putting any effort into a post. I understand thats not a requirement to post but when I pushed vets to expand on their general one liners, their experience showed in the advice they gave.

Usually their comments are right but if someone says a ship is just bad, it doesn't mean that much. When any sort of example is given, I and most of the other builders almost always make the changes, or at least try a different tact.

I accepted that advice even when it meant scrapping most or all of the ships I was working on, and my designs greatly improved from ideas I wouldn't have thought of. So I understand people's frustration when builders don't like or take advice, but their reactions are often based on how much effort is put into the comments and criticism.

So I appreciate all those who comment on a ship no matter how much they think it sucks, and even more those who make a sincere effort to educate the builder.