Artist Formerly Known As Silver Winged Seraph

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Artist Formerly Known As Silver Winged Seraph

Post by Anna »

So hey, the forums are dead, it's been a long time, lots of stuff has changed in my life as might be obvious from the name. But who cares about all that? I stumbled across Shipmaker a week or two ago and started making ships again out of boredom and I might as well post them here for the one or two people who still occasionally check the forum. :)

Click the link
for this one to see its transformation. :3

All coloured portions of the ships (including glows and doodads) are in team colours, so no, they're not all pink by default. Anyway, that's all I've got in the way of completed stuff so far. Downloads included!
NewShips.zip
(185.96 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
th15
Administrator

Re: Artist Formerly Known As Silver Winged Seraph

Post by th15 »

Well you haven't lost it.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Drl (Omniar)
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Drl (Omniar) »

nice, im currently working on my ship aesthetics. but still nice.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Every. Time.
Every goddamned time I think I've finally moved on from this (that Starsector 0.8 update w00t), someone goes all nostalgia and comes back and makes me want to do the same.
I joined 8 years ago as a dumbass 14 year old kid. Man its been a while, but fond memories. Maybe I'll do something cool too.

Also low key, Anna I have had an intellectual crush on you forever and these ships are delightful. Well done.
naysayers will be shot
Anna

Post by Anna »

th15 wrote:Well you haven't lost it.
It's like riding a bike!
Drl (Omniar) wrote:nice, im currently working on my ship aesthetics. but still nice.
Thank you. :D
Doogie12 wrote:Every. Time.
Every goddamned time I think I've finally moved on from this (that Starsector 0.8 update w00t), someone goes all nostalgia and comes back and makes me want to do the same.
I joined 8 years ago as a dumbass 14 year old kid. Man its been a while, but fond memories. Maybe I'll do something cool too.

Also low key, Anna I have had an intellectual crush on you forever and these ships are delightful. Well done.
Haha, yes, return to the dark side! You know you want to! But honestly, thank you, that's really nice to hear. :)

My next project is something I always wanted to try but never had the patience for. A proper transforming ship with lots and lots of triggers that unfolds in a cool way. The best part about a project like this is that you can't close Shipmaker until you've finished it, because triggers don't save to .sb4s properly and you lose half of them if you save and then reload the ship.

And uh... yeah, they get kinda messy, as this early-stage screenshot shows:
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

So uh, I did a thing:
Quality Control Enforcer
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

0/10 not bear rim fleet.

loljk, its quite impressive.
I've always been impressed with those who can make the "after" state of triggers look so good because I can't make anything unless I meticulously stare at it.
naysayers will be shot
Anna

Post by Anna »

See the bear rim fleet is really cool but it always bothered me because it has no actual like, structure to its transformation. It's just "suddenly a million pieces shoot out of nowhere" and I wanted something more... idk, precise than that. But honestly I was hoping for a more complex transformation as well but I am happy with what I got.
Quality Control Enforcer
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Wow, these are great. It's nice to see the community isn't totally dead.
I just realised it's been almost 2 years since I last touched BSF. I have a sudden urge to fire up SM again and see how I do.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Do like the arms on the Goldleaf.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Anna

Post by Anna »

It sure is fun relearning things about Shipmaker/BSF that I'd long forgotten about. Like how many fucking problems it has, lmao. Can't have doodads on sections that move! It fucks up their depthing and sometimes just randomly flips them around or has them be way out of place when you load the ship in game. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to the way that doodads fuck up, but they do fuck up every time. Haha.

and Shipmaker crashed last time I was messing with this transforming ship, so to add the finishing touches I'm going to have to redo ALL THE FUCKING TRIGGER LINES AGAIN. UGH.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Well, I don't know what happened but editing the .sb4 to redo all the trigger lines has resulted in it spitting out horrific errors at me when I try to boot it in the game, and the older version I had saved works in game but when it transforms all the thrusters end up all over the place instead of where they're meant to. I'm going to try to fix all this because I want to have the ship be usable and functional, but it's gonna be... work.

In the meantime, here's what it looks like. I could just watch this thing transform for hours, honestly. It's hypnotic.

Edit: Christ, this is going to be more work than I expected. I might need to redo everything... again. This may be as finished as this ship is going to get. :/
Quality Control Enforcer
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Gotta love that shipmaker. I wish I could help, but finals have come upon me for the last time.

Also excessive triggers scare me.
naysayers will be shot
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yeah, it's unfortunately pretty much beyond saving as well. Redoing the triggers doesn't work right and still spits out tons of errors. Shipmaker just doesn't like it if you edit ships that have triggers on them so trying to work on them again once you've saved them and closed shipmaker is pretty much impossible without causing errors. The more you do it, the more errors you get until it basically just stops working and becomes unfixable. It's a fucking shame.
Quality Control Enforcer
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Wow, I'm a couple weeks late I suppose but this was a good time to randomly check these forums. Great stuff Anna, very reminiscent of some of your older stuff, but with even more great details. I like the shiny effect on the pink metallic bits (I assume that's alpha doodads?), great bit of polish.

Nice transforming ship too, good unfolding weapon sort of effect. Shame about the bugs, is there anyone around who still has the source and is willing to iron out some of these bugs? I'd offer to help but I've not got much GM experience, and I'm afraid of what a mess the project probably is and how much time that offer might end up costing me haha.

Also, congrats - hopefully - on the things that have changed in your life, I hope it's been a good few years!