Iowa Class Battleship from a Newbie

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Iowa Class Battleship from a Newbie

Post by Allen323 »

Hi guys i am new to this game and made a ship......It's the Iowa Class Battleship from USA, it has around 3000hp, 9 x 200 damage cannons and numerous dual turrets as well as some AA guns ( basically particle gun ), most of the sprites used is created using Paint.net, but the quality is quite sluggish as you can see and i have no idea how to SWAized an existing sprites, i also used some contents from Arc Bullet Sprites ( thanks to him )......feel free to comment .......originally i wanted to make some turrets fire in a specified arc range like from 45 degree to 120 degree, but i don't know how to do that....i heard that you can do it with triggers, is that true ???

Other problems i am facing, if you know how to solve them plz tell me it'll be much appreciated
- i set the turning rate of the AA guns ( it is basically a turret with linked gun ) to 0.99 ( i heard that value below 1 can keep the gun in its alignment )....but still no luck, the guns will sometimes misbehave
- As you can see most dual turrets at the sides of the ship is facing 90 or 270 degree, but i wants them to face 0 degree and only allows to fire from 0 to 180 degree....[/color]

Sorry about my english it's not my native language
Attachments
Pic.PNG
Pic 2.PNG
Pic.PNG
Self Made Sprites.rar
Extract and place the folder into your custom sprites folder, if you don't have one plz create one....
(176.1 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
Iowa Class Battleship.sb4
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
Iowa Class Battleship.shp
(20.97 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
Last edited by Allen323 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameschris
Cadet

Re: Iowa Class Battleship from a Newbie

Post by jameschris »

Not bad from a newbie like just need little work with it sop just keep working :)
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

Thanks for replying....i will do my best : )
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

So guys....here's another ship i made....it's the Admiral Class Battlecruiser from British (or HMS Hood ), it has around 2700hp, 8 x 170 damage main cannon, 20 x 85 damage secondary battery and some AA Guns.....i had increased the turning rate of AA guns to make them better in fending off incoming projectices or shells ( the guns will misbehave sometimes )....i am learning how to do trigger right now i feel it's the hardest part in ship making ( or not ? )

Feel free to comment or criticize....

Oh if someone know how to solve the problem showed in the picture below plz let me know it'll be very much appreciated....
Attachments
Pic 1.PNG
Self Made Sprites.rar
Sprites needed for the ship to work....extract all the png files within the archieve to your custom sprites folder, create one if you don't have it......
(69.76 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
Admiral Class Battlecruiser.shp
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
Admiral Class Battlecruiser.sb4
(30.71 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
Problem 1.png
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

In order for the sprite to rotate where you want it to rotate, that "area" HAS to be in the middle.

The turning point for all weapon sprites is the center of the sprite. (i think)

as for firing arc, i has no ideas, i was never able to get that to work for me
Add me on steam @majicnanas
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

If I understand you right, you can't make a weapon only fire in a certain arc range that it isn't originally facing.
naysayers will be shot
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

oh ok thanks for replying guys..........now i know it's not possible to make turret do something like that......
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Well you can do stuff with triggers iirc.
Have the gun you want parented to a piece beneath the piece it's currently on, this piece will rotate and the gun will rotate with it. Then have an invisible gun facing sideways that has that 180 degree arc you want. Set a trigger for when it acquires a target that will cause the section under the gun to rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise.
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

sorry Bad Boy i didn't get that, i tried to do what you said but i still feel confusing.....can you show how to do it with a step by step ?? i had made a ship that you can demonstrate how to do this.....it'll be easier to understand by looking at the result you made. Anyway thank you, no matter how the result is....
Attachments
Test Platform.sb4
here's the ship for demonstrating
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
Test Platform.shp
here's the ship for demonstrating
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 824 times
Can you made the two side turret rotate and fire at the angle mentioned ??
Can you made the two side turret rotate and fire at the angle mentioned ??
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

What he's describing is a particularly creative use of disabled parent weapons and drivers. I'd go and look for one of Zalusai's tutorials on those and then just play around for the desired effect.
naysayers will be shot
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

Oh i see....... I just looked at the trigger tutorial written by Zalusai but i didn't find anything about the turret problem.....maybe it's because of my bad English....I think i have to dig around some more
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I haven't used shipmaker in ages (not sure if I even have it installed), so I'm not sure I'll remember how to put it into practice properly but I can give it a shot sometime, sure. If anyone else wants to do it first, be my guest haha.

And yeah, Zalusai's tutorials may not cover this specifically, but they are a good base to work with for understanding triggers, and with them you can probably figure this out on your own given some time and fiddling around. I'll see what I can do though.
Allen323
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Allen323 »

Thanks for the reply and the info Badboy.....recently i got school exam but after that i'll come back to mess around in shipmaker and find a way to my turret problems, thanks anyone : ))
Robert Ennis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Robert Ennis »

Great Job on those Ships