Random acts of violence with Shipmaker

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Still very rough, got a lot to change still.
*edit* just noticed a doodad got messed up when I deleted something, so ignore the error on the middle engine.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

wow I must be sucking when Zoid gets more comments :lol:

The Athena class battleship. Complete with plated aegis shielding, hell lances, plasma torpedos, hell bores, and gatling disruptors. I may get a download out in the next day or so.

Any comments are appreciated.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The aegis color doesn't fit very well with the rest of the ship; I see no light blue.

There's also a "line" at the mid-rear of the ship that irks me as it stands out alot.

And the top kinda looks flat like a pancake, could use some more colour depthing, unless that's what you're going for.

Solid ship, but nothing very eye-catching. Very terran.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks for the comment! Your talking about the vertical line of the landing bay? Or the horizontal line leading to the power core?

I fixed part of the shading problem but again the problem is that several of the sections in the middle that are 'highest' actually are shaded the same, but didn't have the same base color. Only solution I can think of is to go back and make each outer layer darker so I can match the top ones manually.

I'll try adding some more color but I didn't see any reason why an energy shield's color would match any team colors on the ship. Maybe if I made those red glows blueish?
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Hey Jwa. I feel like all of your ships are a bit too layered. What I mean by this is that there are too many flat levels of depths on your ship. I personally think this comes from trying to cram too many aspects into a single ship. Try focusing on a single contour and build along that contour.
Will post more to clarify what I mean.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hey thanks, that actually does make sense. I see alot of cool 3d ships and I want to echo the designs in bsf, but its hard without simplifying the details. I will work on this...

This is the first in a fleet of the less benevolent aliens from the original story(hope at least one person got that I was referencing BSF as the interface program.) It is roughly comparable in size to the Hectate I built, but will be technologically advanced. Actually precedes the Athena battleship which will be built in retaliation by further back-engineering alien tech.

This is a very rough, quick build just to see what shapes I could get. Started with the Alien Dreadnought and then switched to this sprite pack because I wanted a more alien feel. I know its generally a bad idea to use all one pack, so I may swap out some of the sections as I go. I want opinions on whether I should do a normal gray shading or go for purplish like the Nanz. If I stick with gray I would end up using alot of purplish glows anyway. Also, spikes?

dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

Personally, I like the second better, but try not to use a lot of the SAME spikes near to each other. Especially the spikes in the middle are annoying, they don't have bases* and they all come out of the same small section.

*bases, I mean the spikes seem to go on in the ship, and aren't just glued at the armor. The second rear spikes seem to be glued on the bottom of the ship.

Don't take this as an insult, because I still think you're a better shipbuilder than me.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Dude. That's a huge improvement. This ship doesn't look so choppy like some of your previous ones. However there is still some work to do.
One thing that stood out to me is the color on the second ship. The colors do NOT match. Now you'll ask me, "But how do I tell if they match or not." The answer to this is that you should pick colors on opposite ends of the color wheel. For convenience, I posted a color wheel below.
See how purple, blue, and red are practically next to each other? Well that's why the colors seem to clash. If you were to use purple, I would use either yellow (which you used for the glow) or light green. Also remember that gray almost always works for a ship. If you want really dark areas on your ship, I highly recommend using gray because it won't cause eyeburn. I don't know why but it's just the way the world is.
Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Colorwheel actually helped once I looked at it long enough. I'm trying various combination still but am trying to follow your advise of using colors across from eachother. I keep coming up with red and green working well together, is that too christmasy?
Spike advice also makes good sense and I will modify it to reflect that.

Last touches while trying to match the glows. Otherwise finished, just balancing the rest of the Terran fleet so I can release as a pack. Image

My try at Nagaya's 3rd flagship. Ignore all the clutter to the left, thats just unplaced sections so I don't forget what I wanted to use. Only spent about twenty minutes on this so it will be much more polished and complete, not to mention have a better section variety. But hey, the original only had like four sections so not much to work with artistically.

*edit* more structure done. Not as massive is I was hoping for but I'm drunk and finished it in a rush so thats what ya get. Now I can add details and more sections.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Sorry for not clarifying back there, got dragged away for a week and bit :| .

Was talking about this line:

The front of the Nagaya's ship is good, but the spines seem to be stabbing the ship at the angle they're pointing out. And it's gets surprisingly "rigid* around the center, as there's two sets of parallel horizontal lines.

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks for the advise; I figured thats the area you meant.

Ok, tried to break up the rigid line without altering the design(I know its still there kinda), and also shortened those spires(the ones pointing towards the wingtips I assume) while also depthing them so their really under the wings. Added glows but I'm not happy with it being all one color, or limited to those areas. I'll be working on that for awhile so any advise is appreciated. Also updated the alien dread a bit though again, still not happy with it.

Also looking still for other spikes that will work.
Bentusi
BANNED
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.

Post by Bentusi »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The last ship looks VERY good, Beatifull Desding and Colouring!!
Please... Post the download (.shp and .sb4 :D )
I was banned for bandodging.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Hey. I'm liking your progress. The back of the first ship seems a bit flat. The second ship is pretty good. The Impeder device is out of place. The sections at the back of the centerline are also out of place. They don't fit in with the other sections you've used and cut up the flow a little. Otherwise it's good.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

The Nagaya3 ship's colour depthing seems a bit.. odd. Especially around the arms. I think you were going for the affect that it's curved like "\_/", but the contrast from low to high doesn't look very good. The central area seems more "raised" now, but is less blocky. And the small triplets of spikes are just.. well, they feel a bit excessive. And that outer mecha sprite on the engine just makes it feel... blocky.

The second ship is nice, thoth there's some clutter around the outside-mid regions, where it's darker. And the back seems oddily smooth compared to the pointy front.

Life happens.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The beginning of the alien superweapon perhaps? Or maybe just a specialized dreadnought. The core and engine glow are animated but the core will probably have lightening and stuff in it.