The Dark Universe

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

arachnos653
Ensign
Ensign

The Dark Universe

Post by arachnos653 »

I have been playing BSF for a couple of years now and I have yet to post a ship...odd I know. :roll:
I have been working on a story line called The Dark Universe and I have finally begun working on the ships. So here is my first one belonging to the Terran Confederation, a xenophobic and generally unpleasant group that controls most of human space with an iron fist.

Valhalla Class Battleship
SMscreen03.png
The Valhalla is the latest ship design to come out of the Confederation shipyards. The first ship of its kind to use stable beam technology stolen from their latest enemies the Vitharians. The Valhalla also mounts the latest in Rip Drive technology allowing it to traverse interstellar space faster then any other class in the Confederate fleet.

Armament
x6 Rail Cannons (4 Fore, 1 Port, 1 Starboard)
x6 Needle Drivers (4 Aft, 1 Port, 1 Starboard)
x4 Heavy Mass Cannons (4 Fore)
x4 Point Defense Guns (2 Fore, 2 Aft)
x3 Heavy Plasma Cannons (2 Fore, 1 Aft)
x2 Multiple Missile Launchers (2 Fore)
x1 Prototype Beam Cannon (Fore)

Drives
x4 Particle Impulse Engines
Rip Drive

Fenris Class Frigate
SMscreen04.png
SMscreen04.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
The Fenris Class Frigate is a rapid assault craft designed to swoop in and pummel their targets with their guns before pulling out. Groups of Fenris are usually used to attack enemy positions prior to the main fleet moving in and mopping up. The Fenris is also to only frigate sized vessel to mount a Rip Drive allowing it to attack their foes no matter where they may be.

Armament
x3 Plasma Cannons (2 Fore, 1 Turret)
x2 Railguns (2 Fore)
x2 Point Defense Guns (2 Fore)
x1 Twin Mass Cannon (Fore)

Drives
x2 Particle Impulse Engines
Rip Drive

T.C.S Terra Invictus
SMscreen09.png
The Terran Invictus is the largest ship in the human fleet and serves as it's flagship. In addition to a massive array of conventional weaponry the Invictus makes use of its Rip Drive in a unique way. Thanks to its massive power core the ship can unleash its Rip Drive in an uncontrolled burst through its forward projectors without worrying about the power drain a smaller craft would suffer. When the energy burst impacts an enemy it opens a small tear in space which results in extreme damage to the target.

Armament
x8 Mass Cannons (3 Port, 3 Starboard, 2 Aft)
x8 Point Defense Cannons (4 Fore, 1 Port, 1 Starboard, 2 Aft)
x4 Twin Mass Cannons (4 Fore)
x4 Rail Cannons (4 Fore)
x2 "Storm" Multiple Missile Launchers (1 Port, 1 Starboard)
Unstable Rip Blast (Fore)

Drives
Rip Drive

Odin Class Battle Cruiser
SMscreen015.png
For a long time the Odin was the Confederations front line battleship until they encountered the Vitharians. The Vitharian Rising Sun devastated the Odin in their first encounters and the Confederation scrambled to find a replacement building the Valhalla class on the hulls of damaged Odin classes. Since that time the remaining Odin's have been reclassified as a Battle Cruiser.

Armament
x4 Rail Cannons (4 Fore)
x4 Point Defense Cannons (2 Fore, 2 Aft)
x3 Heavy Plasma Cannons (2 Fore, 1 Aft)
x2 Multiple Missile Launchers (2 Fore)
x1 Nuclear Warhead Cannon (Fore)

Drives
Rip Drive

Constructive criticism is always welcome but if you are one of those who simply likes to rip on people I will tell you now. Shut it bitch. Don't worry I am not one of those who takes honest comments poorly. :lol:
Last edited by arachnos653 on Sat May 28, 2011 6:16 am, edited 12 times in total.

Change is the only constant.
Fear its companion.
Overcoming fear is the key to unlocking it's gifts.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Re: The Dark Universe

Post by Kiltric »

Honestly? This is probably one of the best ships I think I've seen from a first poster. The colors are a bit highly saturated, so you may want to tone those down, but all in all, this is a decent ship.

The shading does seem a bit off in some places, so I think some attention to detail wouldn't go amiss here.

Keep building, and welcome.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

Yeah, i'm not too fond of the saturated colors, but man that's still a very good ship, especially for a new poster.
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Wow, pretty nice. Reasoned weapon placement, light to dark shading, interesting shape, and some glows. The Valhalla almost seems stretched in a few places but can't quite be sure. Keep up this style!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

When they said saturation, I think they meant on the bright red/bright green spots, not the hulls themselves. Heh.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Yeah, Arc is right; I was talking about the primary colors you used, not the main hull, which was fine.

This latest ship looks pretty good. I like the shape, and the fact that all the weapons seem fairly well integrated.

I'm still not a fan of this blue color. Also, I think the glows at the front would look better set to additive blending.
arachnos653
Ensign
Ensign

Post by arachnos653 »

I have set them to additive blending but I will fiddle around and see what can be done.

Fear its companion.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Really? The glow should only appear on the actual section then, unless I'm completely on crack here. Oh well.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

Yeah, the hull color itself was fine the first time, we just meant the actual colored parts. Still, keep up the good work!
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Your newest one is pretty awesome, although those y shaped sections stick out a little much. Other than that you have some great sectionwork going on. Keep up the good work.
naysayers will be shot
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The new one is nice, I think, but honestly too dark. Lighten it up so we can actually see it :-P
arachnos653
Ensign
Ensign

Post by arachnos653 »

The first Vitharian ship I have designed. Not as happy with it as I am with the Confed ships. This is the basic ship design I want the Vitharian craft to have. The Vitharians' have mastered beam technology and a true FTL drive. Humans can not use the FTL drives because it emits a radiation that is deadly to humanity so they stick to their Rip Drives. The large glowy thing in the middle is the FTL drive.

Vitharian Battle Cruiser
SMscreen011.png
and a new version using a different group of sections
SMscreen014.png
another using a different section sprite
SMscreen016.png
I am having trouble deciding which sprites to use. Any suggestions on these three or even on a sprite I have not used yet would be welcome.
Last edited by arachnos653 on Sat May 28, 2011 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fear its companion.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Not too shabby though the liberal use of TSA's sections makes it feel a bit flat. I also think the FTL drive glow could be tweaked to look a little neater. It's a great start though.
arachnos653
Ensign
Ensign

Post by arachnos653 »

I am back after a few months and I have been reviewing my posts. Unfortunatly I had a bit of a computer problem a few months ago when my wife accidently downloaded some weird flash game. Long story short, I lost all my work on the fleets, I actually had several more ships ready and I had tweaked the ones I had already posted so I am not happy.

Fear its companion.