HorseMonster Spaceships

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I considered doing something like that, but I'm really not sure if it's really worth the effort.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

It would only be so if you were to make a campaign out of skirmish type battle things.
These ships are looking really cool HorseMonster I sort of want to steal the style, but I couldn't make good enough sprites to do that, and the naming conventions on your sprites means that they don't like a sprite ini sheet. Maybe that's just my PC, after all its running Vista...

But still these ships are lovely, can't wait till you start on the next generation of ships from this universe. And ones with FTL drives of some sort, if you end up going that far.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I really like these ships, though they are rather unconventional, but they are surprisingly tough ships. Only complaint thus far is one of them(not sure which, I usually have all of them as a fleet fighting mine) fires a beam which seems to cause an error. Least I think thats what is causing it. Forgive my vagueness but it requires time to spawn all the ships on my computer and let them run till the error starts... If I run it again soon I'll let you know more, but in any case I very much enjoy them!

*edit* Oh only other complaint is that while I really like the little antenna pieces and I think you need more of them, they seem to be so small or colored black to the point that they really don't show up well.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Okay, so I totally forgot to do that thing that I said I was going to do, which was post a download like that is actually up to date.

So I did that.

In addition to the listed spacecraft it also contains the KOU-1 Gleaming Arrow, a USDL unmanned weapon that rams into things and makes them explode, and the reason the AANC developed advanced orbital interception craft.

I also politely ask you to ignore the parts that look like you can put them together to make a much larger than usual ship, also the space shuttle.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Alternative faction idea

Post by HorseMonster »

So, I was trying to think of alternative factions, ones that differ from the standard of a single very powerful nation, or (as is the case with the AANC and USDL) a group of less powerful nations working together. So what I thought I'd do is think about various organisations that operate in the Earth's oceans (Because space is clearly an ocean). Pirates are obvious, so there's no fun there, we already have two navies then it came to me.

The single most annoying thing on the ocean; Greenpeace.

Except even more insane, violent and militaristic.

So what warships do a bunch of mad ecoterrorists in space use? Well, I imagine they'd comission something that could be used as a warship, but was, in the paperwork and in terms of legality something else, it'd also most certainly not be armed with exceptionally powerful weapons and it would certainly be made of common components.

What I came up with was this:

I call her the Big Blue Betty, I made her completely out of pre-existing sections without making anything new (except for a new MG turret). Fluff writeup to follow eventually.
firevikin125
Commander
Commander

Post by firevikin125 »

I actually really like it, your style is really one of a kind, Horse. Although those two dots at the back are kind of distracting and under detailed
than the rest of the ship. But other than that the encounters these ships could make is nigh endless.
"A gargoyle's meat can be carved with an ordinary cleaver, but for its petrous hide . . ."
—Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar,
The Underworld Cookbook
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Epic pwn ships you've got. The only thing that bothers me on that station above is that green line/thingy.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I thought that what I'd do to betty is build her engine out of bits just to show that you don't have to use the actual engine components to make engines. Also there's no green now (WHERE FOR ART THOU, TEAMCOLOUR!). I hope you like it.

Big Blue Betty

The Big Blue Betty is an armed spacecraft operated by the environmental terrorist group The Last Wilderness which opposes the industrialisation, militarisation and exploitation of outer space and extra-planetary bodies. They also decry and often try and interfere with military confrontations that occur in space and regularly engage in the dissemination of oh heavily biased reports about various industrial and military activities in space in order to counter what they see as a degradation of environmental awareness brought on by a changing solar system.

The Big Blue Betty herself is based largely on an interplanetary transport design but modified to fit a much larger engine whilst sacrificing cargo space, and with an additional operations module that serves both as a means to artificially increase her hull classification by the slightest possible margin in order to qualify her for the highest possible weapons allowance under the (Later revised) Armed Merchant Vessels Convention and to give her somewhere to mount them. The Big Blue Betty is armed to the teeth with four 20mm machine guns and two 45mm repeating guns. Whilst this generous allowance was meant to allow vessels up to 40% larger than the Big Blue Betty to carry enough weapons to protect themselves from both frontal and rear attacks the Big Blue Betty focuses all of her guns in the same area in order to give her tremendous close-range offensive capabilities.

Whilst the Big Blue Betty seldom actually engages anything in combat her not insubstantial speed and firepower coupled with the unpredictability of her operators means that her presence alone is enough to compromise the security of almost any small to medium scale industrial or military operation and may result in its abandonment and the fact that she is crewed by civilian volunteers (often students and impressionable and idealistic youths) means that simply sinking her would be politically disastrous for any force that did so.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Hmm...
Eviromentalists nobody want's to blow up due to fear of public opinion?
CALL IN THE FRENCH INTELIGENCE!

I like the ships by the way.
Never got around to this style myself.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

Oh Rainbow Warrior, you were a shining example of what the world really thinks about Greenpeace but isn't willing to say out loud. But yeah, it's the exact same deal here, except rather than just being irritating the organisation in question is also extremely dangerous.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

This one is named after my favourite word, it's an AANC "interplanetary superiority cruiser", it's also a work in progress because fuck the section with the missile tubes to hell.

Funnily enough this one can give a metagame destroyer a run for its money.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Pwetty.
...I wonder what would happen if it's neck blew up...
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

The entire front half of the ship blows up is what happens.

The back half is okay though!
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

This latest is very interesting. I think I'm starting to see a trend in the style here, and I'd love to see where it goes. Please keep going.
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Very nice way of structuring the ships and spifftastic style. Simple design and colour choises, very clean and un-cluttered.

Though regardless of their power, I can't help but feel they look rather fragile.X3
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]