86%
Percentage of default bullet speed
14%

Total votes: 14

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Fiddling With Projectile Speeds

Post by Arcalane »

Whilst poking around in the scripts, I noticed something that I think we might be able to use to set the bullets to use absolute speeds, rather than percentages of the default speed. I assume th15 made it this way as there was no resource on the default speeds, and thus nothing to compare them to. At least if they're a percentage you can't make things too silly, right? Wrong, as stringhacking proved. ;)

Now take in mind I'm not sure exactly what speed translates into*, and this change would make a lot of speed-modded weapons nigh-useless until their speed values are fixed to be absolute rather than percentage, but it would give much more precise control, which could really help synching up projectile weapon speeds for more advanced projectile weapons, as well as allowing slow projectiles to be speeded up to pace with other projectiles.

* I believe it's pixels per frame.

Pros:
Much better, finer and more accurate shot speed control over percent-based.

Cons:
Will make all old speedmodded weapon shots go hilariously fast.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Fiddling With Projectile Speeds

Post by Danny420Dale »

Arcalane wrote:Pros:
Much better, finer and more accurate shot speed control over percent-based.
Veddy gut :)
Arcalane wrote:Cons:
Will make all old speedmodded weapon shots go hilariously fast.
Hmm, I don't seem to see the problem. Maybe we can figure out something for bullet sprite stretch or scaling that works with bouncing aegis shots, or just have aegis more likely to just absorb the shot on impact at higher speeds or longer y-scale?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Something I forgot to quote in;
<Kaelis> Arc, I can make it so that all old weapons use old percents, and all weapons saved with new versions of CE can use new fine control
<Kaelis> Or we can use a separate field for that
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Hmm, I wonder if shot speed can have a small (or settable) random variation? That would be interesting for rapidfire guns with more spread or burst. I can also imagine slow-firing single-shot guns with big damage wouldn't want more than minimal sets on this variable, particularly in the case of a long-range gun.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

would the speeds be pixels per frame?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003