Main Menu Weapon Demonstration

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Main Menu Weapon Demonstration

Post by Arcalane »

Given that we have new weapons at our disposal, I'd like to demonstrate them on the main menu using modified files so that people can see the new weapons in action the moment they launch the game. If you can think of a ship that would make a good demonstration ship for a certain weapon, feel free to speak up and suggest how it should be modified.

I can't accept entirely new ships, sadly.

As a final note, we are limited to about a dozen spawn possibilities.

Thoughts I've had;

Hestia Gamma - Minimissile Racks
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Arcas- replace Demeters with FlashBolters (perhaps only give it 4, as opposed to the 6 Demeters) and the 2 modules with a ship deployer, that spawns... something...
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Load up a Enyo with Heavy and Repeating Artillery, maybe.

Pity we're limited to a dozen spawns.

Maybe an Oenone with Twin scatter and twinbeams.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

something with nukes 'cause of the pretty colors.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I was trying to avoid the tac-nuke and the torpedo because they fire so slow that a lot of the time the ship is just floating around reloading. Doesn't make for a very exciting splash screen, or that's my take on it. My vision is a fast moving splash screen llots of gunfire, etc. Even Weasel Guns fire realtively quickly compared to Tac-Nukes, Torpedos, and Flash Bolter,s but Flash Bolters are pretty cool and unique, so that's a cool idea. I do agree with showcasing at least one of the new missile weapons, though. The best use will be to blend them on ships in pairs, I think. Like if the Gamma is using minimissiles, also give it a Torpedo. Or something.

Super Cronus? :O are there new stock sahips I need to make to add to the Official Stock Ship Pack? :lol:
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

An Enyo with gatling guns would be pretty awesome.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The Super Cronus and the other new ships won't be available for use in the campaigns, so no, you won't need to make new ones. You'd just have to rearm your old hulls, really, since all I did was clone them and change a few entries in the Create event.

Ed: As a sidenote, let's not get too silly with gun placements. Some of the new ones are quite big and certain placements are infeasible. There's not much I can do with them except change arcs of fire, so don't expect me to try shrinking them down or anything.

Ed2: Added the Super Hestia Gamma, Super Enyo and Super Arcas. Also added an alternate version of Nagaya's ship that has vulcan cannons instead of chainguns, plus switches out two deflecs for nanomatrices. Amusingly he actually dies a lot more easily than the normal one, even with two nanos.

Hestia Gamma is just a full rack of minimissiles. Anything else is madness because it's flimsy and tends to die quickly. Enyo has a vulcan with 360 in place of it's railgun, and scatterbeams on the outer gun pods. Arcas has six pulsebolters in place of it's drone launchers.
Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

The new weapons are too big for stock ships. They look out of place. So i say either stick at most one or two weapons on the biggest stock ships, or don't demnostrate them at all.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

We do want to demo them, IMO. The cool new weapons is one of the biggest draws of the CE, the other being new sections.

I do agree that a lot of the new weapons are very big, though.
mtheminja
Captain
Captain

Post by mtheminja »

Yes, we need some modestly sized weapons next.
Office hours: 12:30-2:00 PST M-F, in #BSF.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Suggestion: Change Super Nagaya's ship to something else, weaponwise. the Enyo demos vulcan cannons, and the ship looks silly with 5 of those GIANT gun emplacements on it.