Concerns regarding BSFCE staying invitation-only

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

Concerns regarding BSFCE staying invitation-only

Post by Kaelis »

Heres what im afraid of happening:

Most active and reasonable members are arleady privy to BSFCE. Theyll post their ships in the hall on, because why would they make stock ships with so much awesome new stuff in CE? Now, only newcomers and, uh, retards, post stock ships in the public area of wyrdysm. BSFCE doesn't get any new members, because newcomers to wyrdysm don't have any motivation of becoming better with wyrdysm looking like its dead.

In the end, community around BSF dies. BSFCE doesn't get any new members and stays at its 'elitist' group of ~40, and some of them too, ultimately, will get bored and leave.

Heck, even if we do invite every single soul to the hall, wyrdysm still dies, because who wants to join a dead (officialy, at least) forum?

This scares me.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

I do agree, at least to some extent. However, I am (and I'm sure others are) still at least paying attention to the main forum, and, despite the lack of ships, the forum itself is not dying out.

edit: oh, and it's not like we can make this mainstream, for the reasons HK said.
Last edited by lightstriker on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

It is questionably legal.

Technically, if you rewrite BSF from scratch, there wouldn't be any problem.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

I believe a potential solution to this could be that we include the older shipmaking threads of our better shipmakers (i.e. everyone who's currently knows of BSFCE) in the Useful Shipbuilding Thread and Resource Index. At least newer members will know where to go to for insights into higher-level shipmaking techniques. I'm not saying that this is a panacea but it should help alleviate the problem nonetheless. Hopefully we'll be able to invite a few more deserving new members into our fraternity. Caesius, Mephisto and Deltaflyer spring to mind; they're among the better ones now I think.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

A reasonable concern, but I for one might return to the 'normal' BSF scene sometime. The new sections have so many details and 'things to look' at that at times I feel it takes some of the challenge out of it.

Regardless, while the 40 strong elitist group that is involved with BSFCE may not be posting ships in the public shipmaking forum, they will still be present to give advice to new members.

Because of this I do not think the community will die.

edit: I do not think Mephisto is around often. Also I personally would like to see Deltaflyer and Caesius improve more before letting them in.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Stop worrying, Kae. :roll:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Regardless, while the 40 strong elitist group that is involved with BSFCE may not be posting ships in the public shipmaking forum, they will still be present to give advice to new members.
There is more a trend to harass, berate, and belittle than there is to truly give advice. When you're congratulating people on lurking, you've done something wrong, I think.

Anyways, can't th15 simply declare the game open source, or open for modding, or whatever? Considering he made the game, and said game is freeware, and I don't think the end result of BSF 1 has any beariung on the end result of the assumedly "pay to buy" BSF2 that's being licensed...

Admittedly I don't know how it all works, but.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The main problem is that the company who are/will be producing BSF2 may request the original BSF source as part of their licensing deal, or somesuch.

Also, th15 has stated before that he won't release the source. We should consider ourselves lucky that he is even letting us have these two hidden forum sections to discuss it on.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Darkship wrote:A reasonable concern, but I for one might return to the 'normal' BSF scene sometime. The new sections have so many details and 'things to look' at that at times I feel it takes some of the challenge out of it.
Yeah, i know what you mean. But i think its all due to how new those sections are to us. For all this time we had to work with just 26 sections, and now we get 44 new ones, some of them quite exotic and different from stock ones, with more to come. I think we just need to start small, takes small steps ie. creating small ships and getting used to new stuff rather than use them as we used stock sections.
TormakSaber wrote:Anyways, can't th15 simply declare the game open source, or open for modding, or whatever? Considering he made the game, and said game is freeware, and I don't think the end result of BSF 1 has any beariung on the end result of the assumedly "pay to buy" BSF2 that's being licensed...
No, because the company thats making BSF2 might want BSF1 source. So officialy, he has to oppose any efforts to decompile and modify BSF.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Grmbl, well, that's no fun. :(
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

In dire need of some sort of official looking bit of text where th15 says he supports things done to the game as long as they are only modifications or 'minor' additions to the original game. ;.;
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Good idea, except that I doubt we'd be able to get away with calling it a mod.

Also, I would hardly call this bit of fun 'minor'

:lol: :lol:
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

*sniff* ;.;
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

I don't know; it could be a problem, but then it could not amount to so much. I know I'll still browse the regular board and post stuff there now and again.

Hell, I've already got two big projects that I'm actually interested in continuing, which were started pre-dooSections let alone any of the mods/custom version.

(Also; thanks to those who thought I'd make a good addition, and to everyone who made this basket of win possible).
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

I plan to continue with the stock RNS ships until the internet implodes, if that makes things any better. :mrgreen:

SMCE so far is only for the CHV fleet and the odd dabbling with new weapons and sections etc. I'll probably spend equal time in CE and vanilla.