Turret/Weapon Request/Contribution Thread

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

We have enough direct-fire AoE now, tyvm. :P

Any thoughts on the plasma explosions, guys?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

It still looks a bit like a Covenant weapon, with the claw shaped barrel and all. That's why I thought "plasma".
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

for the plasma explosions: they're both pretty good, much better then the original. I'd go with the bottom one personally, the expanding ring looks pretty good.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Tricannon GIF;

Needs some 'return to idle' frames IMO. Perhaps twice as long as the firing existing animation?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

You could flip the frames so that it recoils quickly and returns slowly instead of the other way around.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Possibly. It returns quickly because there's only four or five frames in the animation, so you're seeing it restart basically. Shout at DS, seeing as he made it. ;)

I also appropriated the firing effect for the twin AC;

Ed: R. Arty and the two tacnuke redesigns;

Too similar?

Ed2: Updated with another firing anim with bigger flares.
Last edited by Arcalane on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Too similar, IMO.

and aaaaaaaaahhh trigun is biiiiiiiiiiiiiig
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

They are quite similar, but I like that, because I want something that looks somewhat like the Repeating Arty, but has the tacnuke explosion.

Also, the plasma explosion with the shockwave rocks. Use that one.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Guys, remember that we will have turretsections soon. With those, turret-like weapons will be pointless. Better concentrate on making turret bases for turret sections and weapon sprites that fit those bases.
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Kae, I was just thinking that... Maybe instead of making so many turrets, best to make single, turret-less cannons to stuff in turrets? Makes single fixed cannons also look better...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:Guys, remember that we will have turretsections soon. With those, turret-like weapons will be pointless. Better concentrate on making turret bases for turret sections and weapon sprites that fit those bases.
There will still be weapons that can't be turret mounted, and some that look better when using a 'dedicated' turret object, IMO.

Dedicated sprites also allow us a lot of freedom in the firing effects area, where animations can involve details on the turret iself, and the entire thing comes together as one nicely designed piece, instead of an ugly-looking block with a pair of guns stuck on. :P

As it is, we have no real guns I can see that would fit for being put on a turret. :? Railguns, maybe, but that's it.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Post by Lord-General Thunder »

Arcalane wrote:
Kaelis wrote:Guys, remember that we will have turretsections soon. With those, turret-like weapons will be pointless. Better concentrate on making turret bases for turret sections and weapon sprites that fit those bases.
There will still be weapons that can't be turret mounted, and some that look better when using a 'dedicated' turret object, IMO.
The best way you could implement turretsections, IMO, is by having a boolean IsTurret option for rotsections. All it needs to do is point at the target like a regular weapon does. Then, I guess you'd need to implement a "launch arc" for all weapons.

Is there any particular reason why we wouldn't be able to mount certain weapons on turrets? Common sense doesn't count. (i.e. Demeter launchers on turretsections.) :P
Dedicated sprites also allow us a lot of freedom in the firing effects area, where animations can involve details on the turret iself, and the entire thing comes together as one nicely designed piece, instead of an ugly-looking block with a pair of guns stuck on. :P
Think of it this way; you get to focus more on the gun itself and less on the thing the gun is mounted on. You can leave making that interesting to the player.
As it is, we have no real guns I can see that would fit for being put on a turret. :? Railguns, maybe, but that's it.
Torpedo launchers, missile launchers, beamers, shock beamers, megabeamers, mining beams, pulsars, drivers, repeaters, scatterbeams, and minimissiles seem to be good candidates to me, followed by a maybe for particle cannons and flash bolters. :lol:
Last edited by Lord-General Thunder on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Kanosint wrote:Kae, I was just thinking that... Maybe instead of making so many turrets, best to make single, turret-less cannons to stuff in turrets? Makes single fixed cannons also look better...
Thats basically what i meant when i said "concentrate on making turret bases for turret sections and weapon sprites that fit those bases".
Arcalane wrote:There will still be weapons that can't be turret mounted
Uh, no. AFAIK all weapons will be compatible with turretsections.
Arcalane wrote:and some that look better when using a 'dedicated' turret object, IMO.
Huh? Elaborate?
Arcalane wrote:Dedicated sprites also allow us a lot of freedom in the firing effects area, where animations can involve details on the turret iself, and the entire thing comes together as one nicely designed piece, instead of an ugly-looking block with a pair of guns stuck on. :P
What makes you think you can't do that with turretsections?
Arcalane wrote:As it is, we have no real guns I can see that would fit for being put on a turret. :? Railguns, maybe, but that's it.
Well, you have weapon x/y scale, and youll have weapon depthing, transparncy (invisible weapons), and maybe even custom weapon sprites. All that coupled and you can make virtually any weapon look good with turretsections.

In the end, turret sections will be just rotsections that derive their angle from a certain turret (driver), instead of rotating themselves. You will be able to pick said driver for turretsection, possibly make it invisible/invincible/not actually shooting anything. Then you link all weapons you want turreted to said driver, which means they will shoot the same target/face the same target/shoot at the same time (with delays).
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

An idea I just had: A weapon/module who's projectile explodes into a 'persistent' area that intercepts incoming projectiles like point defense, allowing you to create a true "flak wall".

Also, how about a beam that naturally deflects like it's being Rorschach'd? Some kind of beam-whip. Not sure how possible it'd be to program that, though.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:Uh, no. AFAIK all weapons will be compatible with turretsections.
I meant in terms of appearance. Some have "inbuilt" turrets; gatblasters, tachyons. Others just won't work, like Megatachs. :P
Kaelis wrote:Huh? Elaborate?
Such as some of the turrets we have now.
Kaelis wrote:What makes you think you can't do that with turretsections?
What, are we going to have thousands of instances of the same turret just for slightly different turret-based firing animations? :?

~~

Anyway, stop derailing my goddamn topic! :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ