Turret/Weapon Request/Contribution Thread

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Turret/Weapon Request/Contribution Thread

Post by Arcalane »

Since I've been experimenting with turrets and such, I figured I'd try taking requests.

There are a few rules;

1) Keep the weapons simple in function. I'm no coding guru. I might be able to hack together functionality from other weapons such as the repeater shot rate increase or area-effect explosions, but no promises.

Acceptable; a cannon that shoots shells that explode on impact OR a gatling gun that spins up like the repeater

Unacceptable; a cannon that shoots green energy balls that zap anything they travel past with lightning whilst homing on a specific target.

1a) Multi-barrel weapons will have their shots behave as a single projectile. I'm not leet enough for that yet.

2) You provide the sprites. The turret should be less than or equal to 50x50 with a black 1px border. You can use colours other than white and grey if you desire, but white/grey/black is preferred.

Ex 1;

2a) Firing animations are an added bonus. Each frame of the animation should be a seperate file, numbered on it's sequence. Thus, you have an idle frame, and however many frames of firing animation. Make note; the turret's overall size should take into account firing animation. If, for example, you have recoiling barrels on a twin cannon, make sure you account for this in the idle frame and all other frames.

2b) If the turret has a slow reload, you may wish to provide re-idle frames that display the weapon's barrel(s) returning to idle position.

2c) There is no frame delay in terms of the shot launching and the animation playing. You should aim to display muzzle flashes as soon in the sequence as possible.

3) You also provide the projectile/beam image. It should be no more than about 20-30 pixels long for projectiles, 15-20 pixels for beams and 20-30 pixels wide. Exceptions can be made for double or triple shots. The same rule for turrets applies; have a black background and 1px black border please.

Ex 2;

3a) You may also wish to provide a greyscaled image of the projectile or beam. If you don't, I will simply run it through a greyscale filterer on Irfanview or Paint.net, which may not yield the best results.

3b) If it is a beam, I strongly recommend supplying an additional alpha file. These allow you to more accurately control beam brightness indepentant of the beam sprite itself. The alpha should be greyscale. White is most visible, black is invisible.

3c) Shots may be animated. As with projectile animations, each alternate file should be seperate and numbered appropriately.

4) If you wish, you may also provide a sound effect (wav or ogg preferred) but this is optional. If not, I will use what sounds I have at my disposal. I have quite a few scifi weapon effects on hand, but I'm no sound-meister, so don't expect anything hand-crafted.

5) All sprites should ideally be in .png format. .jpg is shoddy, and .gif has colour problems if you have too many colours in the file.

6) Please provide some basic stats for the weapon that are vaguely in line with stock balance. All weapons accept modifiable values in the editor, so don't worry too much - you can uberwank edit them later!

7) Semirandom Turrets; by adapting part of the Blaster code I can make BSF randomly choose between one or more variants of a turret design. All of these variants share the exact same stats and behaviour as their parent object, they just look slightly different.

Last edited by Arcalane on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

I'll make sound effects for most of your weapons eventually.

Here's the weapons I intend to animate and design:

Vulcan Turret: A hyper-powered gattling cannon that fires tiny (2-3px) yellow slugs at a very high rate. The turret sprite would be a rotating gattling cannon in some sort of housing. The turret itself would be programmed to sweep slowly across the target. Also has big range.

Artillery Cannon: A good old fashioned fucking huge bore CANNON in space. Combustion in a closed chamber lets the slug fly at relativistic speeds into the target, bringing the power of the atom to bear. Pretty standard projectile behaviour, but with a fast travel time and splash damage on impact. Need to think about the turret.

Space Mine: Exactly what it sounds like. Immobile, small mine that floats very slowly in a random direction, and explodes if an enemy ship enters the vincinity. Can probably make it targetable by PD with a low interceptability. The launcher would propel the mine a short distance upon deployment.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

Weapon: Energy Projectile Cannon

Sprite Animation

Frame1

Frame2

Frame3

Frame4

Shot Animation

Frame1

Frame2

Frame3

Suggested Weapon Stats balanced against stock

Code: Select all

Damage 25
Rate of Fire: 0
Magazine Size: 1
Reload Time: 7 seconds
Turning Rate: 2
Range: 700
Deviation: 0
Base HP: 75
Bullet Speed: 16
Burst: 1

No intercept or 0.05 Intercept Value

Or have it behave like a tach driver.
Gunsprite Download
Shot Download
Last edited by Darkship on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

What about animated gifs, as done with the doodads? IIRC upon loading into GM they are decomposed back into their constituent frames.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I've tried. GM barfs at them. Individual frames are easier. :)

Darkship's "Plasma Ball" cannon is now integrated and working properly. I even found a pretty good sound file for it. It is uninterceptable at the moment.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

cycerin wrote:Artillery Cannon: A good old fashioned fucking huge bore CANNON in space. Combustion in a closed chamber lets the slug fly at relativistic speeds into the target, bringing the power of the atom to bear. Pretty standard projectile behaviour, but with a fast travel time and splash damage on impact. Need to think about the turret.

DONE!

Damage 5-5-45 (think railgun round that explodes inside target)
Rate of Fire: 0
Magazine Size: 1
Reload Time: 6 seconds
Turning Rate: 1
Range: 1000
Deviation: 0
Base HP: 80
Bullet Speed: ~90% Flak Gun bullet speed
Intercept Value should be .10-.25. Shot should act like a Railgun round, passing through and doing low damage to user-configurable number of sections as a Custom Weapon (default 2 sections) then explode when it hits the designated section (third as default). Also explodes as a flakburst when it hits its maximum range; can also be used as a *very* heavy-duty slow-firing Flak Gun due to extremely high muzzle velocity.

Sprite (colored grayscale for easy recoloring; default orange-red at 0xFF4500) should be stretched somewhat like a Railgun shot as well, but not to such a degree; it would detach from the weapon like a normal bullet sprite.

Sound should be an artillery cannon firing with the sound of the shell flying afterward.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Nice. :D It looks great, but it far exceeds the technical maxsize. Also, I think the bullet sprite should be a shell with a trail.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Is there a way to increase the maxsize?

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I can but I'd rather not.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Arcalane wrote:I can but I'd rather not.
Okay, I can deal. :)

Shot; yes I'd like it stretched, but not as much as a Railgun's shot
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Some rather random musings:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

Weapon: Particle Rifle

Sprite Animation

Frame1

Frame2

Frame3

Frame4

Frame 5

Shot

Frame1

Suggested Weapon Stats balanced against stock

Damage 14
Rate of Fire: 15
Magazine Size: 6
Reload Time: 50 Frames
Turning Rate: 2
Range: 800
Deviation: 5
Base HP: 55
Bullet Speed: 30

No intercept or 0.02 Intercept Value
Gunsprite+shot Download
Last edited by Darkship on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Shogoll
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shogoll »

This is sort of a large sprite, but I was wondering if you could make an exception. How's about making this a weapon that fires nothing? That way when it's not targeting anything, it looks like it's scanning left and right, and when it locks on, it aims at the enemy? A rapidly shifting laser with no damage that looks like it's "scanning" might be nice too.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Darkship's particle rifle has been added.

I have successfully replicated the following behaviours, as a sidenote;

Railgun-style Penetration
Plasma-style AoE Damage
Repeater/MegaTach-style "Spin Up"
Homing projectiles
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

Possible ship mounted Rorschach sprite.