Turret/Weapon Request/Contribution Thread

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Well we don't really need the charging animation, having an animated beam would be plenty. Like I said, I feel like the beam just needs a stronger sound behind it.

Just a quick thought: for the flare at the beginning of the beam, would it be possible to make the weapon have two sprites, and just have the flare sprite not have collision? I have no idea how the code works for this so I'm just throwing this out there.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The problem is once we start getting a lot going at once it'll probably get deafening. :?

Anyway, regarding the flare... I'm pretty sure it lacks collision as it is. It's sole purpose is to sit over the turret/beam start and look pretty.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

I obviously don't know much about the code, but would it be possible to code a "charge up" beam a bit like a Pulsar (i.e. giving it a "friction" and "delay" property). So it starts out as a glowy ball and then shoots forward...

Failing that, perhaps just have the charge-up exist at the same time as the beam, like a muzzle flare; if possible, have the damage scale up and down over time (based on the the set Damage and Duration values), with the flare brightening and dimming over the period?

Might be overcomplex, just some thoughts.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lol doublepost.

Anyway, a checklist of new weapons;
Twin Autocannon
HV Rocket (needs launcher!)
Particle Cannon
Tesla Gun
Machinegun Turret

~~

Changes checklist;
New dual firing code for Twinrail/Twinblaster
New firing animation for Twinrail
New explosion effect for Plasma Charge
New impact/explosion sounds for Flash Bolter
Lowered Flash Bolter bolt launch volume

~~

Rundown of what does what;

Twin AC
Shells detonate and scatter shrapnel randomly to strike nearby targets.
Moderate accuracy over moderate range.
Fires in short bursts with a moderate reload.

HV Rocket
Rapidly accelerating inaccurate rocket.
Leaves barrel at low speed, but rapidly accelerates to very fast speeds.
Hard or impossible to intercept. Does not explode; is merely kinetic.

Particle Cannon
Fires a very powerful, very slow moving shot, around the speed of a Tach Driver.
Shot is impossible to intercept, much like P-Rifle shots.
On impact, it throws 'shards' out away from the target to strike others.

Tesla Gun
Shoots a stream of electrical energy, utterly defying physics.
Looks fucking awesome and is heavily modifyable.
That's about it, actually.

Machinegun Turret
Low caliber machinegun turret. Fires short bursts.
Fairly accurate, but short ranged. Fast tracking, fast shot speed.
Possibly good vs fighters and other small ships.

~~

Did I miss anything?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Arcalane wrote:Did I miss anything?
Redesigned nukegun, AP Neutron Cannon (which I will be finished with the design when RL quits dancing the fucking fandango all over my goddamn computer time).
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Ooh, Twin Ac reminds me of when Blasters were made to scatter shrapnel around. I missed that feature when Sean removed it.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Hey, I was just thinking, is alt sprites for the missile launchers a possibilty?
I made alt sprites that kept the same profile shape; but I don't know if Kaelis will ever implement them.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

TormakSaber wrote:Ooh, Twin Ac reminds me of when Blasters were made to scatter shrapnel around. I missed that feature when Sean removed it.
Difference is, Twin AC does it randomly. Originally it was meant to scatter away from the impact to hit enemes in the back. Twin AC rounds will hopefully have decent lifetime on their shots as well, so even if they're intercepted, the shrapnel can get through.
Redesigned nukegun, AP Neutron Cannon (which I will be finished with the design when RL quits dancing the fucking fandango all over my goddamn computer time).
Speaking of which, the latter's shot should be a lot shorter, otherwise I'll have to code destruction on contact with aegis to avoid shit looking REALLY silly when it starts pinging around in tightly enclosed spaces. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Replacing the current vulcan cannon sprite with mine?
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Is there a way to get the turret sprite to hold its final frame for say, a laser? I have an awesome idea but want to make it's possible first.
I sort of want it to have a prefire animation, then have the last/second to last frame hold for the duration.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Arcalane wrote:Speaking of which, the latter's shot should be a lot shorter, otherwise I'll have to code destruction on contact with aegis to avoid shit looking REALLY silly when it starts pinging around in tightly enclosed spaces. :P
Maybe destruction on second aegis bounce?

Also, gun.

CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

I proudly present my first (not really, but still) original weapon design:

APFSDS Mass Driver Cannon (AKA Sabot Cannon)

The Sabot Cannon is a centuries-old concept, innovated through modern technologies. Basically, The Sabot Cannon fires APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin-Stablized Discarding Sabot) rounds via Gauss propulsion. The round exits the barrel at near relatvistic speed, vapourizing the sabot, then reaches it's target at a spilt of a second. Piercing through target's hull, then the shell denonates inside the target, causing massive damage.

Weapon Stats:

Code: Select all

Damage 10-60 (Causes damage mainly from the explosion within the hull) 
Rate of Fire: 120 
Magazine Size: 4
Reload Time: 240
Turning Rate: 1
Range: 900
Deviation: 0.3
Base HP: 100
Bullet Speed: 50
Burst: 1
Explosion size: appox. at plasma charge's size
(Actually, this is what people call the "railgun plasma" before, as Arc said that it is now possible to be made, so I made this weapon.)
Last edited by CheesyErwin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I think thats the best weapon anyone ever made for BSF. Its perfect.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Note that it's merely theoretical. I think I know how to do it, but it's going to get ugly. The penetration is only possible because I'm hijacking railgun code, I might add.

My plan is thus;

Combine plasma charge 'Destroy' code with railgun behaviour
Scrap fuse variance and size increase variables and code, since it's not an unstable explosive
Add a new damage variable that determines the damage caused by the explosion, seperate from damage caused by the penetrator

l_specials used;
1 - burst
2 - interceptability
3 - damage per section
4 - explosion size
5 - explosion damage
Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Toying with a bigass magnetic accelerator cannon (based off the Lion's Railgun in SRT OG with heavy modifications to make it look slightly less phallic ( :roll: )) but I'm not too satisfied with the results so far.

Source image;

Same-size;

Half-size; (due to VBA running in 2x)

If anyone wants to take a shot at fixing this thing up and adding an animation, be my guest. :)

I need to post up some images and info for the laser targeter too.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ