Rewrite the shipmaker or enhance the current one?

Archive of old Custom Edition threads.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

Rewrite the shipmaker or enhance the current one?

Post by Kaelis »

Heres the deal: im considering rewriting the shipmaker. So starting with SMA from scratch, basically.

So there are two options i see:
1. I (and anyone else thats willing and able to help) rewrite the SM, and all other effort goes into enhancing BSF itself, because it would be a waste of time and resources to add new functionality to SM if theres going to be a new one anyway.
2. I do not rewrite it, instead concentrating on enchancing BSF and building on top of existing SM

Pros and cons on rewrite:
- once the basis (current SM functionality) is completed, it would be much easier/less time consuming to develop it further and generally add new stuff
- others can concentrate on adding features to BSF
- people whod like to mess with it would have it much easier than with SM, since i would provide support and info
- faster than original SM
- open source

- ultimately, a full-fledged project that would need dedication and time, as opposed to just enhancing current GM
- this mean that the development might be slow or even get stalled
- no new shipmaking functionality (apart from basic stuff like new sections) until the basis is done and we start adding new features to the new shipmaker

Pros and cons of not rewriting:
- 'instant' gratification: no need to wait for the rewrite to add new features
- thats pretty much all i can think of for pros...

- development of new features would be time consuming because of GM deficiencies, lack of knowledge/experience, the way SM is written etc etc
- some features might be plain impossible to add or require massive rewrites which would ultimately make them not worth it

Id like to get everyones opinion on this matter.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Can we get a projected time frame for SBA?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

ChaosTheory wrote:Can we get a projected time frame for SBA?
I though i made it clear thats it wouldnt rally be a stable, full time project. So no timeframe to speak of.

In other news, why are you not on IRC? We really need to develop some reliable method of comunication...
Last edited by Kaelis on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Kaelis wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:Can we get a projected time frame for SBA?
I though i made it clear thats it wouldnt rally be a stable, full time project. So no timeframe to speak of.
Translation: When It's Done®.